sunlight readable iphone

Old September 23rd 17, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Default sunlight readable iphone

"do not (and will not) have a Facebook account. "
I have one, (actually two, and I'm not sure how, probably the result of my wife's inpatient urging), and I'm ready to delete both.
Great mines think alike!
Old September 23rd 17, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Good luck deleting a facebook account...

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 24th 17, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WinPilot

AppStore does ask for payment info, but it doesn’t charge your card until second month of your subscription, so that you have a chance to cancel it within the first month at no charge if you want. If you don’t like this, you can send us an email to winpilot.com with your WP account, and we can enable gps mode remotely. The next drop of WP Live will add support for iPhone X.
Old September 24th 17, 09:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Friday, 22 September 2017 19:03:58 UTC+3, jfitch wrote:
If you liked the Windows 3.1 UI, you'll probably love SYM. UI is in some ways like art, judged by the beholder. But most of the world has moved on from tiny little buttons illogically arranged, very modal behavior, etc., typical of PDA apps from 20 years past. SYM is supplied with a 113 page manual. That pretty much says it all right there. I'm not saying XCSoar is a lot better, it grows from the same roots. The XCSoar manual is 180 pages. But with XCSoar at least I didn't pay for the pain (yearly, for SYM, now). In contrast anyone familiar with modern smartphone apps could pick up iGlide on an iPhone and within 3 or 4 minutes access 90% of its functionality without a manual at all. There are something like a billion smartphones sold each year, Apple alone sold 210 million last year. Most people have learned to operate them.

I do not recognize SYM from this description. Tiny buttons, too long manual, modal wtf, annual license? We are talking about highly complex problems (AAT optimization etc.) that need complex software. You read manual, learn program and that's it, I do not have to read manual before every flight. Talking about iGlide is useless, you cannot buy a device that runs it and is adequately readable in cockpit. There is no iGlide option for glider use.
Old September 24th 17, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 1:07:29 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
Talking about iGlide is useless, you cannot buy a device that runs it and is adequately readable in cockpit. There is no iGlide option for glider use.

Krasw: What about the Air-Avionics Display M and Display L? Their displays are extremely good.
Purpose-built displays beat the improvised hanging-off-the-panel things any day.
Jim
Old September 24th 17, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 7:20:51 AM UTC-7, JS wrote:
On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 1:07:29 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
Talking about iGlide is useless, you cannot buy a device that runs it and is adequately readable in cockpit. There is no iGlide option for glider use.

Krasw: What about the Air-Avionics Display M and Display L? Their displays are extremely good.
Purpose-built displays beat the improvised hanging-off-the-panel things any day.
Jim

I have the Display M and Display L in stock.

http://www.craggyaero.com/butterfly.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old September 24th 17, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

[...]

I take it then, that you have flown at least 10 cross country flights using iGlide and found it wanting?

I have flown at least that many with all of the software packages I have described. I find iGlide to be "adequately readable" in the cockpit. It is as readable in most situations as the Oudie 2. I know because I have flown a number of flights with both, mounted side-by-side. Have you?
Old September 25th 17, 08:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Sunday, 24 September 2017 18:04:11 UTC+3, jfitch wrote:

I do not recognize SYM from this description. Tiny buttons, too long manual, modal wtf, annual license? We are talking about highly complex problems (AAT optimization etc.) that need complex software. You read manual, learn program and that's it, I do not have to read manual before every flight. Talking about iGlide is useless, you cannot buy a device that runs it and is adequately readable in cockpit. There is no iGlide option for glider use..

I take it then, that you have flown at least 10 cross country flights using iGlide and found it wanting?

I have flown at least that many with all of the software packages I have described. I find iGlide to be "adequately readable" in the cockpit. It is as readable in most situations as the Oudie 2. I know because I have flown a number of flights with both, mounted side-by-side. Have you?

I dont do apple even if forced, so no would be the answer. But apple uses same display tech as everyone else, and you only need to take the Oudie2/IGC with any other high-end smartphone and walk out to direct sunlight to make my point. If holding a mirror that has extremely dark screen does not disturb you at all, congrats, you can fly with any device.

I did not know that Air Display M/L runs iGlide, they do not state that anywhere in documentation. Most of the panel mounted computers have decent or even good (matte) screens, but AFAIK Air is the only one with touchscreen. Touchscreen robs some of the screen brightness so it is not used much, too bad. I do not have experience with L/M, and what is the maturity of their software.
Old September 25th 17, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Slightly off topic (what else is new), but ClearNav specifically stated
that they rejected touch screens because of the difficulty of touching a
moving spot in turbulent air.Â* I've noticed that quite often using my
actually sunlight readable mini tablet running a different program...Â*
Using a stick mounted or hand held controller makes the problem of
operating the application trivial (after you've learned how to use the
software).

Old September 25th 17, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 12:00:49 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
[...]

Modern touchscreens do not affect screen brightness. Older/cheaper resistive technology used in PDAs such as the Oudie 2 had a separate overlay for the touchscreen with an air gap. All modern smartphones have in-panel capacitive touch sensors, it is built into the display glass as an integral part. I do not know what Air uses on their L display (the M is not touch sensitive). A touch screen does not work as well with an in-panel display in my opinion, because touch accuracy is required at arm's length. If the display is mounted on a stalk or RAM type mount, the display can be grasped by the thumb and 4th & 5th finger, and accurate touches (including multitouches) used even in rough air because your hand is anchored to the display.