Region 4 North Contest: Fairfield, PA 5/29-6/4

Old May 20th 05, 11:37 PM

Default Region 4 North Contest: Fairfield, PA 5/29-6/4

The Mid-Atlantic Soaring Association will host the Region 4 North
Contest at its Fairfield, PA facility. This is a 7-day, "no water"
contest for competitors in Standard, 15-meter, and Sports classes.

The contest will begin on Sunday, May 29th and run through Saturday,
June 4th. Practice Day is Saturday, May 28th.

There is camping on the field. The club house has shower facilities.
There are numerous hotels within a 20-minute drive of the gliderport,
though reservations are recommended since the Memorial Day weekend
attracts many Civil War reenactors to the area (Fairfield is only 7
miles from Gettysburg).

We are located in the southeastern extreme of the Mifflin task area.
Winning speeds typically range from the mid 40s to the mid 60s.
However, on ridge days this jumps to the 70s and 80s, and we've broken
100mph on an AST at least once in the last several years.

Fairfield is 8.5 nm NE of Camp David (P40). We don't expect the
President to be in the area over the long weekend. Experience has shown
that he'd much rather go to Crawford. However, if he visits, we have
made arrangements to conduct operations from Gettysburg Airport for
those pilots who have not been cleared by the Secret Service to fly on
our club waiver in the TFR. If active, we'll use the new auxilliary
start and finish points at Gettysburg. We have been working closely
with the authorities for the past two years to allow racing while the
TFR is active. (At Fairfield, we race every flyable weekend.) Our
experience has been extremely positive and federal officials very
understanding.

For more information about the contest, or to apply, visit the
following url:

http://www.m-asa.org/region4n.htm

or contact Contest Manager Preston Burch through the SSA web site.

Thanks. We're looking forward to seeing you at Fairfield for a fun week
of racing!

OC