Self-Gripping Vinyl Edge Trim with Metal Core

Old February 17th 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

Default Self-Gripping Vinyl Edge Trim with Metal Core

I'm sure SOMEONE out there knows where to get this stuff. It's used
throughout the interior of my Speed Astir, and must be terribly
common, since it's the exact same material used to trim the the
perimeter of BMW motorcycle windscreens. I even bought a chunk at the
local BMW motorcycle dealer to re-trim one section of my instrument
panel cover. Unfortunately, they don't carry it in lengths
appropriate for re-trimming the entire interior, and my glider could
use a bit of a facelift. McMaster-Carr sells something close, but I'd
like to find an exact replacement.
Thanks,
Jim
Old February 17th 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Johan Nykvist

At 22:26 17 February 2009, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
I'm sure SOMEONE out there knows where to get this stuff. It's used
throughout the interior of my Speed Astir, and must be terribly
common, since it's the exact same material used to trim the the
perimeter of BMW motorcycle windscreens. I even bought a chunk at the
local BMW motorcycle dealer to re-trim one section of my instrument
panel cover. Unfortunately, they don't carry it in lengths
appropriate for re-trimming the entire interior, and my glider could
use a bit of a facelift. McMaster-Carr sells something close, but I'd
like to find an exact replacement.
Thanks,
Jim

Hi!

I know a company in my town (Sweden) that does interior work at cars and
boats...they have it in stock. A similar company close to you should have.
I bought a meter to my astir cs 77, it was cheap!

/Johan
Old February 17th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

On Feb 17, 6:00*pm, Johan Nykvist wrote:
At 22:26 17 February 2009, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:I'm sure SOMEONE out there knows where to get this stuff. *It's used
throughout the interior of my Speed Astir, and must be terribly
common, since it's the exact same material used to trim the the
perimeter of BMW motorcycle windscreens. I even bought a chunk at the
local BMW motorcycle dealer to re-trim one section of my instrument
panel cover. *Unfortunately, they don't carry it in lengths
appropriate for re-trimming the entire interior, and my glider could
use a bit of a facelift. McMaster-Carr sells something close, but I'd
like to find an exact replacement.
Thanks,
Jim

Hi!

I know a company in my town (Sweden) that does interior work at cars and
boats...they have it in stock. A similar company close to you should have..
*I bought a meter to my astir cs 77, it was cheap!

/Johan

Did you try JC Whitney?
Old February 17th 09, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Feb 17, 3:08*pm, chipsoars wrote:
[...]

Did you try JC Whitney?- Hide quoted text -

Yes,
The problem with JC Whitney is seeing just what they've got before
ordering. What they show doesn't look very close to what I'm looking
for, but thanks for the suggestion!
Jim
Old February 18th 09, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tech Support

Jim

Have u tried auto re upholstering shops? Have gotten a lot of things
from them. If don't have might be able to order from their catalog at
a cheap price? Or might know who carries in neighborhood.

Big John

***************************************

Old February 18th 09, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

wrote:
[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Another source is a chassis build shop. We have one in the area that
specializes in ambulance chassis. They have all sorts of trim
materials to use on various edges. I got some for a door-seal but I
would check there if I needed something like you're asking about.

Mike
Old February 18th 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

wrote:
[...]

Mike- Hide quoted text -

Johan, Big John, and Mike,
Excellent tips. I've hit two upholstery shops so far. One had
something similar, but 3 times the dimensions I need. I've found one
ambulance supply place online that has something fairly close.
Unfortunately I live in Las Vegas, Nevada, and there isn't a lot of
manufacturing in the area, so suppliers are scarce.
Thanks,
Jim
Old February 18th 09, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

www.mcmaster.com page 3710