I would not have thought this was possible

Old July 11th 09, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Garret

Default I would not have thought this was possible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZiP4...eature=related
Old July 11th 09, 07:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Garret

In article ,
Ron Garret wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZiP4...eature=related

And indeed, it's fake. Bummer.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/airplane/onewing.asp

rg
Old July 11th 09, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_8_]

Ron Garret wrote:

In article ,
Ron Garret wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZiP4...eature=related

And indeed, it's fake. Bummer.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/airplane/onewing.asp

rg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_gpPbpONK4

Some people WANT to believe this even though they need only look at a jet
engine for 2 seconds to know it's fake..
Old July 11th 09, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Garret

In article ,
Franklin wrote:

Ron Garret wrote:

In article ,
Ron Garret wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZiP4...eature=related

And indeed, it's fake. Bummer.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/airplane/onewing.asp

rg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_gpPbpONK4

Some people WANT to believe this even though they need only look at a jet
engine for 2 seconds to know it's fake..

Actually, I was under the impression that the sucked-into-jet-engine
video was real. It's certainly plausible.

Even the one-wing landing video requires fairly close inspection to show
that it's a fake. It's quite well done IMHO.

rg
Old July 11th 09, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John E. Carty

"Ron Garret" wrote in message
In article ,
Franklin wrote:

Ron Garret wrote:

In article ,
Ron Garret wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZiP4...eature=related

And indeed, it's fake. Bummer.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/airplane/onewing.asp

rg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_gpPbpONK4

Some people WANT to believe this even though they need only look at a jet
engine for 2 seconds to know it's fake..

Actually, I was under the impression that the sucked-into-jet-engine
video was real. It's certainly plausible.

That one actually happened :-)

Old July 11th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article ,
Ron Garret wrote:

Even the one-wing landing video requires fairly close inspection to show
that it's a fake. It's quite well done IMHO.

It's easy to be taken in by it, I agree, but I think that once you come
to the proper realizations it's not too hard to see that it must be
fake. To me, the most damning mistake in the video is the fact that the
plane sits perfectly level after the landing. Wings are *heavy*. Having
only one would make that plane tip right over onto its wingtip. Once I
realized what I was looking at, this to me was ironclad proof that they
were filming a plane with two intact wings, with the angle cleverly
chosen to hide one, and the rest done by some special effects trickery.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old July 11th 09, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Mishler[_2_]

"Franklin" wrote in message
Ron Garret wrote:

In article ,
Ron Garret wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZiP4...eature=related

And indeed, it's fake. Bummer.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/airplane/onewing.asp

rg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_gpPbpONK4

Some people WANT to believe this even though they need only look at a jet
engine for 2 seconds to know it's fake..

It's REAL.

Old July 12th 09, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_7_]

"Ron Garret" wrote

Actually, I was under the impression that the sucked-into-jet-engine
video was real. It's certainly plausible.

Real. The flash you see, as he goes in, is his helmet FOD'ing the engine.
His shoulders were wider than the intake duct, which stopped him from going
through the turbine.

Sore and bruised, but lucky.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 12th 09, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Morgans" wrote:
"Ron Garret" wrote
Actually, I was under the impression that the sucked-into-jet-engine
video was real. It's certainly plausible.

Real. The flash you see, as he goes in, is his helmet FOD'ing the
engine. His shoulders were wider than the intake duct, which stopped
him from going through the turbine.

Sore and bruised, but lucky.

Wow - the whole issue is a mess of fact and fiction. Consider:

1) There appear to a bunch of obviously faked videos on Youtube of
people getting "sucked" into jet engines. This makes it tedious to sort
out the legit from the bogus.

2) Some videos, like this one showing a helmet (cranial) getting sucked
off a guys head, seem perfectly legit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OswpNAH9nrk

3) I believe the velocity of the suctioned air should fall off roughly
with the inverse square of the distance from the intake - and so the
suction force for a fixed area should be roughly proportional with
inverse cube of the distance from the intake. Meaning you have to get
dang close to suck in something as dense and heavy as a person! (I know
I have problems vacuuming up heavy "grit"! Experiments with a vacuum
cleaner are easy and I'm sure everyone is aware how quickly the suction
force drops off.)

4) Although circumstances would make it rare, it appears it may have an
been issue as long as a few decades ago because there appears to be an
article titled "Survival after suction into jet engine intake" by Ayres,
ML in the May 1973 journal "Injury":
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4710924

This seems to indicate the article is case reports:
http://www.unboundmedicine.com/medli...engine_intake_
Old July 12th 09, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_7_]

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 12:16:33 -0700, Ron Garret wrote:

In article ,
Franklin wrote:

Ron Garret wrote:

In article ,
Ron Garret wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZiP4...eature=related

And indeed, it's fake. Bummer.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/airplane/onewing.asp

rg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_gpPbpONK4

Some people WANT to believe this even though they need only look at a jet
engine for 2 seconds to know it's fake..

Actually, I was under the impression that the sucked-into-jet-engine
video was real. It's certainly plausible.

Then you were a fool.

Even the one-wing landing video requires fairly close inspection to show
that it's a fake. It's quite well done IMHO.

rg

Amateur hour. You need to see my aerobatic films.