Pik 20d trailer parts question

Old March 26th 18, 10:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Siggi Ingason

Default Pik 20d trailer parts question

Hi, does anyone know what kind of hub the Pik20d trailer has, as we
need to replace a spring and a few other parts for the auto reversing
mechanise?

Thanks
Siggi

Old March 26th 18, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 3:30:07 AM UTC-6, Siggi Ingason wrote:
Hi, does anyone know what kind of hub the Pik20d trailer has, as we
need to replace a spring and a few other parts for the auto reversing
mechanise?

Thanks
Siggi

Siggi,
Could you be more specific? Is this a trailer manufactured by PIK or is it a trailer that is used to tow a PIK 20? One thing to consider is that many trailer manufacturers used standard off the shelf running gear. For example Cobra uses hubs, wheels, etc., that are sold through AL-KO. I once owned a Bickle trailer that used all standard US hardware sold through the local trailer and RV supply outlet.
Take a close look at the hub that is on the trailer and check for a name of a manufacturer (Usually in the form of a stamp) somewhere on the mounting plate and there could even be a part number to make things easier.
I don't know where you are located but in North America a company called Dexter bought out AL-KO and all of their inventory.
Old March 26th 18, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 5:35:40 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Could you be more specific?

Dollars to donuts he's talking about the distinctive molded fiberglass trailers designed specifically for the PIK-20 and supplied by the factory with new PIK-20 sailplanes. We generally call them "PIK20 trailers."

--Bob K.
Old March 26th 18, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

The trailer (made by Eiri, BTW) is 40 something years old, parts may not be available any more, and I've seen different components in otherwise similar trailers. Axles, wheelhubs, brake components and drawbar are pretty easy to replace with new off-the-shelf components, they are just attached with few bolts to glasfibre shell of the trailer. I had this done for bit over 1000 euros in professional shop few years back.
Old March 27th 18, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Siggi Ingason

wrote:
Hi, does anyone know what kind of hub the Pik20d trailer has, as

we=20
need to replace a spring and a few other parts for the auto

reversing=20
mechanise? =20
=20

=
a trailer that is used to tow a PIK 20? One thing to consider is that

many
=
trailer manufacturers used standard off the shelf running gear. For
example=
Cobra uses hubs, wheels, etc., that are sold through AL-KO. I once

owned
a=
Bickle trailer that used all standard US hardware sold through the

local
t=
railer and RV supply outlet.=20
Take a close look at the hub that is on the trailer and check for a

name
of=
a manufacturer (Usually in the form of a stamp) somewhere on

the mounting
=
plate and there could even be a part number to make things

easier.=20
I don't know where you are located but in North America a

company called
De=
xter bought out AL-KO and all of their inventory.

Hi and thanks for the reply. As far as I know the trailer is
manufactured by Pik specifically for the pik 20d. I've had a look at
the hobs and can see a manufacturers name on them but I know it's
not a AL-Ko one as I've already looked at their parts and they are no
the same. What I was hoping for was someone who owns a Pik
trailer and has worked on the hub would know what make they
were.

Old March 27th 18, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Siggi Ingason

wrote:
Could you be more specific?

Dollars to donuts he's talking about the distinctive molded fiberglass
trailers designed specifically for the PIK-20 and supplied by the factory
with new PIK-20 sailplanes. We generally call them "PIK20 trailers."

--Bob K.

Thanks Bob - spot on :-)

Old March 29th 18, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Siggi Ingason

wrote:
Hi, does anyone know what kind of hub the Pik20d trailer has,

as
we=20
need to replace a spring and a few other parts for the auto

reversing=20
mechanise? =20
=20
Thanks
Siggi

Just in case anyone else is looking for this into for the Pik20d trailer.

I've found the make of the brakes - its a Lockheed Mk2 Auto-reverse
Brakes.

A parts list is available on this website

https://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acat...d_Brakes_Diagr
ams.html

Old March 29th 18, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

AFAIK, having owned one of those finnish glider containers, the "trailer" is a composite box which was used as a cradle for shipping the gliders to their owners.
It was up to them to fit an axle and tongue. So everyone is different when it comes to road-wrthy parts. My container was in facts simply bolted to a low H-frame structure with twin axle made in Italy. It's still doing well.

Aldo Cernezzi
www.voloavela.it