Just Purchased X-Plane 7.0 version

Old September 20th 03, 06:54 AM
Sam

Default Just Purchased X-Plane 7.0 version

I saw This simulator being shown on Screen Savers and purchased it the
same day. For 50.00 I wanted to compare it to MSFS 2002. After flying
a while I can honestly say the flight Dynamics are much better in
X-plane and that this sim would be great for engineers wanting to try
out there ideas for plane construction. A part I am not familiar with
at all not being an engineer or know too much physics. but the part I
did try the sim itself with all the planes was good. The ONLY Downside
to this sim is that I wish it had better scenery. HOUSES... Landmarks
etc..but like I said it's more of a teaching tool and flight sim than
a flight sim game.
If you like all the eye candy that MSFS Has stick with that ...
If your a plane builder / engineer and want to test out and try your
ideas buy x-plane.
Old September 20th 03, 05:40 PM
Brett Holcomb

You might also look at flightgear.org (www.flightgear.org) for some good
modelling.

--
Brett I. Holcomb

Microsoft MVP
AKA Grunt
Remove R777 to email
Old September 26th 03, 04:33 PM
Marvel

Hi Samuel

Yea, I agree that X-plane feels very fluid and smooth because it
has simplistic scenery and I don't care about that. And most of all
the instrument display rate is truly awsome, very smooth. I've tried
the V7.0 demo and dicided to order it but hasn't arrived yet. The
only downside is that it lacks the ability to model a type-specific
aircraft like complicated switchology to control various systems,
various types of EFIS displays and FMCs, multipanels... for now
aircraft panels look quite generic, but it has a long way to go
thought.

happy flyin :-)

Old November 11th 03, 12:52 PM
Samuel G. Kramer

I bought Ver. 6 and was satisfied enough that I bought Ver. 7 as well.

What I like about X-Plane:
- The price is terrific when you consider that this is not only a
flight simulator, but a plane and scenary builder, too (but see below
what I don't like about it). When you add up those additional
software programs with MSFS 2002, etc, X-Plane is much more
inexpensive.
- Flight realism seems good to me, a pc pilot only.
- Free upgrades within the version.

What I don't like about X-Plane:
- The onscreen manual is very sparse. Figuring out how to set various
console switches, flight computers, nav aids, etc., is very difficult
for a pc pilot.
- The plane builder is almost useless to me. It is very unforgiving
and a bit complicated. I fly planes on my pc for fun only. I would
like to "build" a favorite plane and fly it around, inputing that
plane's flight characteristics. But X-Plane is so realistic that you
must design the plane as best you can and X-Plane will decide how if
flies, if it flies at all. For example, in MFSF, you can make a craft
that looks like a Trident submarine and instruct it to fly like a
F-16. Not so with X-Plane. In X-Plane, if you want to design a
TriStar L-1011, go for it, but unless you have a ton of design data,
it probably won't fly at all like the real plane. I HOPE I AM WRONG
ABOUT THIS PLANE DESIGN STUFF, BUT I DON'T THINK I AM. PLEASE CORRECT
ME IF I AM.

Sam Kramer

Old November 14th 03, 02:11 PM
'Mort'

I've finally given in and purchaed X-plane 7 recently as well, it is suberb
and good value. I guess I'm one of the growing crowd who use both MSFS and
Xplane.

One warning for those outside the US. International shipping is very
expensive considering it's just a few CDs in paper wallets. I also got
stung for import duty AND an 'administration charge' from UPS. By the time
I'd done I'd paid as much again for the shipping when compared to the price
of the original software. Perhaps Austin ought to consider an 'unlock code'
to enable the full version if people pay for the software. After all a high
percentage of X-plane users are doing this illegally anyway !

With regard to aircraft desgin I'm working on my first full project.
Developing an aircraft for either requires a LOT of research and data but
I'm actually using X-plane to help provide me with flight dynamics data for
the FS9 version of my aircraft. If you're trying to design an aircraft that
flies realistically you're gonna need to get the data from somewhere for
either sim.

Just my opinion,

Mort

Old November 18th 03, 03:54 PM
Scott VanderVeen

Consider taking another plane and modifying it. Eventually you'll get the
hang of it. I am to the point where I can get some thing to fly with in ten
minutes from scratch.

Scott V