DuPage from the east

Old April 14th 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default DuPage from the east

I'm flight planning a flight to DuPage (KDPA) from Rochester (KROC).
Aeroplanner's automatic route has me going in V6 to NILES and then direct,
but I was thinking that maybe coming in V8 to JOT and then direct would
keep me more out of Chicago's hair. (Or "O'hair" as the case might be.)

Or should I forget second guessing and realize it doesn't matter what I
file, I'm going to be vectored to hell and back anyway?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"and by God I *KNOW* what this network is for, and you can't have it."
Old April 14th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 11:38:09 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

I'm flight planning a flight to DuPage (KDPA) from Rochester (KROC).
Aeroplanner's automatic route has me going in V6 to NILES and then direct,
but I was thinking that maybe coming in V8 to JOT and then direct would
keep me more out of Chicago's hair. (Or "O'hair" as the case might be.)

Or should I forget second guessing and realize it doesn't matter what I
file, I'm going to be vectored to hell and back anyway?

I don't have my chart handy, so I am not sure the difference between
V6 and V8. However, there is only about a 1% chance that you will get
to cut through the Class B, so just plan on vectors around the
perimeter.

I typically file to CGTv then JOTv then DPAv.

You will probably get sent to 4000 or lower before you cross into
Illinois. This is especially the case if MDW arrivals are using the
ILS 31C.

If you want to save a few bucks, there is a credit-card based
self-fuel farm on the North ramp at DPA. Request to land on 33 for
the shortest trip there. The transient ramp is on the West side of
the field, just under the control tower, so you will have to restart
to taxi over there for parking.

Regards,
Nathan

Old April 14th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

I'm flight planning a flight to DuPage (KDPA) from Rochester (KROC).
Aeroplanner's automatic route has me going in V6 to NILES and then direct,
but I was thinking that maybe coming in V8 to JOT and then direct would
keep me more out of Chicago's hair. (Or "O'hair" as the case might be.)

I don't have my chart handy, so I am not sure the difference between
V6 and V8. However, there is only about a 1% chance that you will get
to cut through the Class B, so just plan on vectors around the
perimeter.

I typically file to CGTv then JOTv then DPAv.

That's what I meant by the V8 route I mentioned above. Thanks for the
confirmation.

Thanks for the other information too - I'll print it out and put it in my
flight bag.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I did volunteer EMS as recovery from sysadmining, then
Old April 14th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

V6 to Niles? I don't think so. Why would Aeroplanner suggest such a thing. I
would have thought that it would have routed you to a Navaid that is an
entry for DPA. For another thing, you are well over the lake. Do you want
that? Second, Niles is embedded in the MDW airspace. If IFR, they will never
go for that. If VFR, you are putting yourself in a very tight, busy area.

If you want airways, file V8 to JOT. That will keep you clear of airspace
concerns whether you are IFR or VFR.

I show 473nm Direct or 513nm following airways including JXN, LFD, GSH,
CGT, and JOT at the end. That's 8% longer but probably the best way if you
want airways.

-------------------------------
Travis
Lake N3094P
PWK

Old April 15th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

The last time I flew to DPA I filed CGT JOT. I was given GIJ OXI EON
on the way by Chicago Center's request - not as good. Once I passed
OXI, though, I got direct DPA.

When flying through Chicago Approach's space, be ready to write and
take new directions, and follow them, and they'll take excellent care
of you.

Every time I've flown through there, they've been super accomodating.
I usually file a route that obviously tries to stay away from their
heavy traffic, but regularly get updated routes direct though Midway's
space or vectors through O'Hare's. A few weeks ago, flying from DKB to
the east, I filed JOT CGT direct. They gave me direct JOT through
Midway's Class C quickly. Then the controller asked to confirm I was
just trying to avoid the lake (it didn't show up in my remarks). I
told him yes, and he gave me a turn towards the shore, visual along the
shoreline, then direct. It couldn't have been better.