Too Old?

Old September 3rd 08, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_5_]

Default Too Old?

You obviously know nothing about the process, since you have never had a
medical and never will. Go look up special issuance.

Old September 3rd 08, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_5_]

Dudley:

The OP is not at the mercy of a physician in the group- he simply could go
elsewhere to get his FCIII exam performed. However, it sounds like he needs
a complete new physical, a review of the records, and a submission via
computer on a regular basis for the special issuance.

Unfortunately, this all takes a fair amount of time. Performing the required
tests, especially Class II, requires an EKG, hearing test, vision screening,
etc, and between the equipment and time required this adds up to a lot of
expense. Then, you, or a paid assistant, has to log onto the FAA computer
and submit all of this stuff.

A special issuance requires an extensive review of records, along with
dictation of a letter (that has to be done by a paid transcriptionist) and
then submission to the FAA.

Most docs actually barely break even or lose money doing this service for
pilots.

So, yes, it's expensive, but so are a lot of other aspects of flying. I
personally would rather have someone identify a potential problem and
address the issue, rather than keep on flying until something breaks, just
as if my mechanic found some potential problem that would ultimately save
money or my life down the line.

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
news
John Godwin wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:
Make sure we're on the same page with the above. I might not have
stated this as accurately as I should have,
What I'm saying doesn't conflict with the Pass= fly regardless of
age. It simply RECOGNIZES that at a certain point while following
the "plan", a pilot WILL reach a specific point in time where the
medical can no longer be passed. In other words, Fail= no longer
fly. What I'm saying is simply that even my "plan" so to speak,
ends up with basically what we have now :-)) You fly until you
can't pass the physical then no more. The same issue remains. The
"rub" is that no matter what is done, the end of the road seems
unchanged. There can very well be a point where the pilot passes
the physical at some ripe old age, then has that heart attack in
the air during the periods between physicals.
This is the basis for what I have envisioned as a "plan" to
shorten the period between physicals as a pilot ages.

My situation is one of cost. I can easily pass the FAA Medical (even at
my age) but have decided not to try after passing my last one.

I have a Special Issuance wherein the FAA required documentation from
each of my two physicians. My Medical Group charges nearly $100 per
"official" letter and then there's the AME fee. I felt that a little
under $300 each year was a tad much at this time so it may well be that
it's time to hang up the spurs or do other flying alternatives.

That's a CRIME. I'm VERY sorry this is happening to you. I never quite
know what to do or say when I see things like this happening to a pilot.
We're at the mercy of these damn doctors and they know it. You could
complain, but many times that simply ends up in an endless loop that goes
nowhere. Charging $100 to fill out a form is a gross over charge and the
only reason they can get away with it is because you HAVE to have it.
This doctor could easily have been a lawyer!

--
Dudley Henriques

Old September 3rd 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:
Dudley Henriques writes:

Charging $100 to fill out a form is a gross over charge
and the only reason they can get away with it is because you HAVE to
have it.

Then again, if the doctor fills out the form and signs it for a pilot, and the
pilot later dies in flight, the doctor gets sued, even if the cause of death
had nothing to do with the doctor's evaluation. So it works both ways.

Can you cite one single case where that has ever happened to an AME?
Old September 3rd 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Lonnie[_3_]

"Morgans" wrote in message

"John Godwin" wrote

I have a Special Issuance wherein the FAA required documentation from
each of my two physicians. My Medical Group charges nearly $100 per
"official" letter and then there's the AME fee. I felt that a little
under $300 each year was a tad much at this time so it may well be
that it's time to hang up the spurs or do other flying alternatives.

Go find you a sexy little experimental homebuilt that fits in the Light
Sport class.

No more medicals!
--
Jim in NC

I'm hoping when my time comes, to find a sexy little female copilot.

Old September 3rd 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"Lonnie" @_#~#@.^net wrote in message

"Morgans" wrote in message

"John Godwin" wrote

I have a Special Issuance wherein the FAA required documentation from
each of my two physicians. My Medical Group charges nearly $100 per
"official" letter and then there's the AME fee. I felt that a little
under $300 each year was a tad much at this time so it may well be
that it's time to hang up the spurs or do other flying alternatives.

Go find you a sexy little experimental homebuilt that fits in the Light
Sport class.

No more medicals!
--
Jim in NC

I'm hoping when my time comes, to find a sexy little female copilot.

First you'll have to finish puberty and obtain a credit card. Good luck,
Okie.

Old September 3rd 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

In rec.aviation.owning Mxsmanic wrote:

Then again, if the doctor fills out the form and signs it for a pilot, and the
pilot later dies in flight, the doctor gets sued, even if the cause of death
had nothing to do with the doctor's evaluation. So it works both ways.

Wrong.

It is getting more and more obvious you don't know **** from shinola
about the medical process.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 3rd 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Dudley Henriques writes:

This is the basis for what I have envisioned as a "plan" to shorten the
period between physicals as a pilot ages.

The intervals should not be based on age; they should based on the results of
the previous medical exam.

In other words, someone who is on the borderline but passes at one point
should have another medical at an earlier date than someone who passes the
medical with nothing to be concerned about.

Age is largely irrelevant. There's no point in a medical every 90 days for a
person who is 80 years old if he passes each of the medicals with flying
colors. Conversely, a 20-year-old who just barely squeaks by the medical with
some borderline condition should have another medical fairly soon. The
interval could be adjusted after each medical as a function of how the medical
turns out, with the date of the following medical being advanced or postponed
as appropriate.

That would be a truly representative and rational way to schedule medicals,
and there's no need for any age barriers at all.

I guess that would make sense to someone who has no idea how the current
system works.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 3rd 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 07:23:46 -0500, Viperdoc wrote:

A special issuance requires an extensive review of records, along with
dictation of a letter (that has to be done by a paid transcriptionist) and
then submission to the FAA.

Most docs actually barely break even or lose money doing this service for
pilots.

So, yes, it's expensive, but so are a lot of other aspects of flying. I
personally would rather have someone identify a potential problem and
address the issue, rather than keep on flying until something breaks, just
as if my mechanic found some potential problem that would ultimately save
money or my life down the line.

God knows I want to be the last to increase the cost of flying, or the
barrels that we have to jump over to get and keep a PPL, but if the
choice is a higher medical std (as Dudley suggested that might escalate
with age, I vote for that. Anything to keep an arbitray age cutoff date
out of flying.
Old September 3rd 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 00:23:04 -0500, Chris J wrote:

If you're still able in mind and body, and doing it on
a personal, not for hire basis, I say keep em flying!

Amen to that.

And a few months ago, he renewed the lease on his hangar. He said he didn't
want to take any chances, so he signed a 25 year lease!! Hell, he may make
it!
CJ

Hope his estate can move the lease. lol