You're Not Going To Believe This: Another Cirrus Is Down (Statesville, NC)

Old October 27th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default You're Not Going To Believe This: Another Cirrus Is Down (Statesville, NC)

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/15866220.htm

It's a gray crappy day here in Charlotte, about 50 miles south of Statesville.
Rain everywhere... some places are supposed to get up to 4" but we've just had a
steady soaking rain here.

No word yet if the Cirrus was coming or going but my money is on going. They
say it crashed only 50 feet off the airport but they also say it was wooded. I
haven't been there in some years so I just can't remember the layout. I believe
the open runway is 5-23.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old October 27th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Guy Elden Jr

Don't forget about the one in Germany earlier this month too...

On October 8, 2006, at 1555 UTC, a Cirrus Design Corp., SR-22, U. S.
registry N147SR, serial number 1970, operated by Air-OPS, sustained
substantial damage when during landing at Karlsruhe-Baden Airport,
Germany, the airplane departed the side of the runway and struck a
fence. The pilot and passenger on board were not injured. Visual
meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The
personal, cross-country flight departed Schwabisch Hall Airpark,
Germany.

Honestly, it's human nature to notice these crashes when they happen so
close together, especially in light of the more famous one earlier in
the month. But I haven't heard of any SR-20 or 22 planes falling out of
the sky because of a severe control failure save for one (think it had
something to do with the linkage to the ailerons). All the rest, as far
as I've heard, have been pilot error related.

--
Guy

Old October 27th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 27 Oct 2006 13:46:20 -0700, "Guy Elden Jr"
wrote in . com:

Don't forget about the one in Germany

Um, that would be this one:

--------------------

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...16X01522&key=1
NTSB Identification: DEN07WA005.
The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). Please
contact Records Management Division
14 CFR Non-U.S., Non-Commercial
Accident occurred Sunday, October 08, 2006 in Karlsruhe-Baden,
Germany
Aircraft: Cirrus Design Corp. SR22, registration: N147SR
Injuries: 2 Uninjured.
On October 8, 2006, at 1555 UTC, a Cirrus Design Corp., SR-22, U.
S. registry N147SR, serial number 1970, operated by Air-OPS,
sustained substantial damage when during landing at
Karlsruhe-Baden Airport, Germany, the airplane departed the side
of the runway and struck a fence. The pilot and passenger on board
were not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at
the time of the accident. The personal, cross-country flight
departed Schwabisch Hall Airpark, Germany.
---------------------

How many does this make in the last three or four months?

---------------------

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...04X01453&key=1
NTSB Identification: MIA06WA137
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Incident occurred Friday, September 22, 2006 in Bull Bay, Jamaica
Aircraft: Cirrus Design Corp. SR22, registration: N181LM
Injuries: 4 Uninjured.
On September 22, 2006, about 1029 eastern standard time, a Cirrus
Design Corporation SR-22 airplane, N181LM, registered to and
operated by Colobri Aircraft Leasing Inc., had the pilot activate
the installed aircraft parachute system in the area of Bull Bay,
Jamaica. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and a visual
flight rules flight plan was filed for the flight to the Dominican
Republic. The pilot and passengers were not injured, and the
airplane incurred minor damage. The flight originated at Norman
Manley International Airport, Kingston, Jamaica, about 1019.
---------------------

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...31X01268&key=1

NTSB Identification: CHI06FA245
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, August 28, 2006 in Indianapolis, IN
Aircraft: Cirrus SR-22, registration: N91MB
Injuries: 1 Fatal, 3 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may
contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when
the final report has been completed.

On August 28, 2006, at 1038 eastern daylight time, a Cirrus SR-22,
N91MB, was destroyed when it impacted a water retention pond
located about 2.4 miles from the Eagle Creek Airpark (EYE),
Indianapolis, Indiana, after a loss of control during cruise
climb. The 14 Code of Regulations Part 91 personal flight departed
EYE at 1034 en route to Hilton Head Airport (HXD), Hilton Head
Island, South Carolina. The pilot received fatal injuries, and the
three passengers received serious injuries. Instrument
meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident.
The flight was on an instrument flight plan.
---------------------------

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...22X01223&key=1

NTSB Identification: NYC06WA203
14 CFR Non-U.S., Non-Commercial
Accident occurred Saturday, August 12, 2006 in Ligure Sea, Italy
Aircraft: Cirrus SR-22, registration: N357MV
Injuries: 2 Uninjured.
On August 12, 2006, at 1036 universal coordinated time, a Cirrus
SR-22, N357MV, experienced a loss of power during cruise flight,
and was presumed damaged during a forced landing to the Ligure
Sea, near Genoa, Italy. The airplane sank, and has not been
recovered to date. The pilot and passenger were not injured. The
flight departed Olbia Costa Smeralda Airport (LIEO), Olbia, Italy,
and was destined for Lugano Airport (LSZA), Lugano, Italy.
---------------------------

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...08X01114&key=1

NTSB Identification: CHI06FA218
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, August 05, 2006 in Boyceville, WI
Aircraft: Cirrus Design Corp. SR22, registration: N658CD
Injuries: 1 Serious, 1 Minor.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may
contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when
the final report has been completed.

On August 5, 2006, at 1140 central daylight time, a Cirrus SR22,
N658CD, received substantial damage on impact with terrain during
approach to runway 26 (3,300 feet by 60 feet, asphalt) at
Boyceville Municipal Airport, Boyceville, Wisconsin. Visual
meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident.
The 14 CFR Part 91 instructional flight was not operating on a
flight plan. The pilot received serious injuries, and the
certified flight instructor received minor injuries. The flight
originated from Duluth International Airport, Duluth, Minnesota,
at 1015, and was en route to Chippewa Valley Regional Airport, Eau
Claire, Wisconsin.
--------------------------

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...16X01182&key=1
NTSB Identification: CHI06WA231
14 CFR Non-U.S., Non-Commercial
Accident occurred Monday, July 24, 2006 in Mantena, Brazil
Aircraft: Cirrus Design Corp. SR-22, registration: PR-ESA
Injuries: 4 Uninjured.
On July 24, 2006, at 1625 universal coordinated time, a Cirrus
SR22, PR-ESA, received substantial damage on impact with terrain
during takeoff near Mantena, Brazil. The pilot seat moved aft when
the throttle was advanced forward and the pilot lost pedal
control. The airplane came to rest after it hit a hole near the
edge of the runway.
--------------------

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...17X00959&key=1

NTSB Identification: CHI06FA186
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Tuesday, July 11, 2006 in Edgewater, MD
Aircraft: Cirrus Design Corp. SR-22, registration: N8163Q
Injuries: 1 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may
contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when
the final report has been completed.

On July 11, 2006, at 0943 eastern daylight time, a Cirrus SR-22,
N8163Q, was destroyed when it impacted a tree and terrain during a
go-around after an attempted landing on runway 30 (2,500 feet by
48 feet, asphalt) at the Lee Airport (ANP), Edgewater, Maryland.
The private pilot sustained serious injuries. The 14 Code of
Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight departed the Ocean
City Municipal Airport (26N), Ocean City, New Jersey, at 0900 with
ANP as the final destination. Visual meteorological conditions
prevailed at the time of the accident. An instrument flight rules
(IFR) flight plan had been filed.

The route of flight for the IFR flight plan was: SIE, ENO, V268,
BAL. The proposed time en route was 45 minutes at a speed of 165
knots with an en route altitude of 4,000 feet mean sea level
(msl).

A witness reported that he observed the airplane enter the
airport's landing pattern by entering a 45-degree entry from the
northeast. The witness reported that the airplane crossed runway
30 about mid-field and entered a left downwind leg for landing on
runway 30.

Another witness, who was standing on the ramp of the maintenance
hanger at ANP, reported that he heard the pilot make a radio call
over the airport's Unicom frequency stating that he was landing on
runway 30. The witness reported that he observed the airplane over
the approach end of the runway at an altitude of 150 - 175 feet
above ground level (agl). He reported that the airplane was
"diving for the runway" and was flying on the left side of the
runway over the grass between the taxiway and the runway. The
airplane continued to "dive" until it was about one half way down
the runway when the nose of the airplane leveled out at an
altitude of about 75 feet agl. He heard the engine noise increase,
but not to full power. He reported that the airplane "banked hard
to the left" and that he could see the top of both wings. He lost
sight of the airplane behind a line of trees, and later heard a
"thud" followed by another thud.

The same witness reported that the airplane's engine sounded
normal with no backfiring or sputtering. He heard a slight
increase of engine power when the nose of the airplane leveled
out. He reported that the flaps were partially extended.

A third witness, who was working in his hangar located about
mid-field at the airport, reported that he heard the airplane when
it was over the runway. He reported that the airplane sounded like
it was "not developing a lot of power" but was "coasting." Then
the airplane powered up "a little bit" and then turned to the
left. The witness reported that he did not see the airplane after
the turn, but he heard the engine "miss" or "stop" when it was
over the neighborhood. The witness ran to the accident site when
he heard the crash.

Two construction workers, who were working on a house on Lee's
Lane which was located about 1/8 of a mile from the accident site,
reported that they heard the airplane as it flew over the house.
They described the engine noise as being "extremely loud" prior to
the sound of the airplane impacting the trees.

Numerous witnesses arrived at the accident site located about 100
yards from the third witness's hangar. Fuel was spilling from both
fuel tanks. They removed the seat belt and shoulder harness from
the pilot and pulled him from the airplane. An emergency medical
helicopter arrived at the scene and the pilot was flown to a
hospital.
----------------------------

Old October 27th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Guy Elden Jr wrote:
Don't forget about the one in Germany earlier this month too...

Did you really need to post it four times?

Matt
Old October 27th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Guy Elden Jr

Blame it on Google... it claimed it didn't post any of them.

Old October 28th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

All the rest, as far
as I've heard, have been pilot error related.

Yes, and that's what's wrong with the Cirrus.

It's a nice plane and all, but it's being touted as a plane for the
casual pilot. The casual pilot will make more errors. In a Cirrus,
those errors will kill where in a 172 they are less likely to do so.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old October 28th 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Saville

Jose wrote:

All the rest, as far
as I've heard, have been pilot error related.

Yes, and that's what's wrong with the Cirrus.

It's a nice plane and all, but it's being touted as a plane for the
casual pilot. The casual pilot will make more errors. In a Cirrus,
those errors will kill where in a 172 they are less likely to do so.

Jose

You might be right. Wednesday I was midfield downwind at Hanscom, in a Super
Decathlon (taking aerobatic lessons), heading easterly. I was going to be
#3 says the tower but the other two were waaaay out there on straight in
approaches, so I asked the tower for a 360 rather than flying halfway to
England before turning base. ATC says sure BUT to head North for a bit
first as there was a Cirrus behind me.

OK so I turn North and look and yeah he was behind me...RIGHT friggin
behind me! Both I and the CFI were rather ummmm surprised at how close he
was. So I let him blow by, happy that he's in front of me rather than
behind, do my 360 and proceed to land.

Now sure ATC is responsible for the spread but so is the pilot and that
Cirrus was closing I bet. The CFI informs me it's a fast, slippery plane
with a smallish wing so it has to be flown fast to stay in the air.

So it makes me wonder if the Cirrus pilot understood all of that, and the
ramifications of flying a fast plane in the pattern. Not the aircraft's
fault, of course, but as you say - maybe it's not the plane for the casual
pilot.

Trip report: Cirrus SR-22 demo flight Jose Piloting 13 September 22nd 06 11:08 PM
Cirrus demo Dan Luke Piloting 12 December 4th 05 05:26 AM
Iced up Cirrus crashes Dan Luke Piloting 136 February 16th 05 07:39 PM
Cirrus SR22 Purchase advice needed. C J Campbell Piloting 122 May 10th 04 11:30 PM