Plane 172 fun video

Old February 1st 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Plane 172 fun video

On Feb 1, 10:31*am, wrote:

* * * * *As an instructor, I couldn't help noticing the length of the
float on landing, and the tiny pitch change after landing. I think,
based on the little I could see, that the approach was very fast, the
pilot flared very close to the surface and floated in ground effect
for a thousand feet and touched down still fast and therefore flat.
It's a common problem in flight training, and often the instructors
just let it happen. Many of them do the same thing. And the ditches or
fences at the end of the runways continue to claim airplanes.

Dan,

Not mentioned in the video, this was a "no flaps landing".

Sitting in the back seat, I couldn't see over the glareshield myself,
so I know he had a **reasonablly** good flare. Hopefully this clears
up the higher speed over the runway and account for the longer float
over the runway.

I am NOT a CFI, but from my observations, I thought he did a good job
keeping the nose off and not rushing the plane to ground. (I.E. allow
the plane to settle on it's own while bleeding the speed off)

As the video does indicate, the stall horn was sounding when the wheel
did touch terra firma.

Allen
Old February 1st 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 1, 4:03 pm, " wrote:
On Feb 1, 10:31 am, wrote:

[...]

OK. I was using the available information. But the float was
still really long, and even with no flaps it could be shortened
considerably. Maybe when the student gets into commercial training, if
he decides to do that.
I'm an instructor as well as a mechanic, and see first hand the
damage that sloppy landing technique does to the tires, brakes and
nosegear. Much of it is due to approaching too fast for the
configuration, not flaring until in ground effect instead of getting
the power off and lifting the nose to kill excess speed before
reaching ground effect, and then allowing the airplane to land very
flat, often on all three wheels at the same time. The high speed can
bring on nosewheel shimmy, which tears things up (including nosegear
linkage, radios and instruments), and if the student is doing short-
field landings he'll drag the tires trying to get stopped. There's
still way too much lift at those speeds and no weight on the mains.
I often have the stall horn sounding while still at five feet
above the surface. It'll sound at 5 to 10 knots above the stall, and
that's a stall speed out of ground effect. Stall speed drops a little
near the surface, so there's still some safety.

Dan
Old February 2nd 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Jan 31, 5:33*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 31, 10:01*am, "gatt" wrote:

Nice. What do you think of this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_8KnBStSoM

Seems crazy.

-c

Not seems..... Is.....

Like one of the comments left by somebody else, if he isn't dead
already, he will be.....

Allen

lol, we all will die sonner or later.

Wil
Old February 2nd 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 1, 5:46*pm, wrote:

* * * *OK. I was using the available information. But the float was
still really long, and even with no flaps it could be shortened
considerably. Maybe when the student gets into commercial training, if
he decides to do that.

*smile* for experienced pilots, absolutely agree, but for a
precheckride pilot, my opinion that was pretty durn good. Based on
your input, I have updated the video information so others know.

* * * * I often have the stall horn sounding while still at five feet
above the surface. It'll sound at 5 to 10 knots above the stall, and
that's a stall speed out of ground effect. Stall speed drops a little
near the surface, so there's still some safety.

Yep, agree, my kind of landings.(plenty on my You Tube channel) but a
random sample below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh05cgtBtSY stall horn on for 4 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nuoH7QasqA stall horn on solid for 7
seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR_CN8112J8 stall horn going for 5
seconds.

IFR is a different beast of course asn 90 knots down to DH and losing
that speed will cause more float as I trim to lose speed with one
notch flaps on landing.

My flights are in a 1976 Beech Sundowner.

Allen