Engine Mounts for 180hp C172M

Old May 24th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Rob[_2_]

Default Engine Mounts for 180hp C172M

Has anyone had experience of the differences between Lord and Barry
engine mounts - particularly in a C172M with a 180hp conversion?
I am in the process of having my engine reconditioned and I will
replace the engine mounts.
For all the time I have owned the aircraft (C172M with Avcon 180hp
conversion), the engine vibrations have cracked the cowl fasteners
(the actual metal supports which are riveted to the firewall).
The cowl mounts are the Skybolt SK series.

Now I wonder if the engine mount type will make a difference to how
much vibration is transferred to the fuselage. Currently the aircraft
has Barry mounts.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Robin

Old May 24th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_2_]

We put Barry mounts on the right engine of our Aztec when we replaced them
about 300 hours ago. They are still holding strong. The Lord mounts on our
left engine will get replaced this winter when the engine gets overhauled.
The only reason we chose Barry over Lord was price. If I remember correctly
I ordered them from www.aircraftsuppliers.com

Have your prop dynamically balanced after your engine install.

Jim

Old May 25th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
kontiki

Jim Burns wrote:
We put Barry mounts on the right engine of our Aztec when we replaced them
about 300 hours ago. They are still holding strong. The Lord mounts on our
left engine will get replaced this winter when the engine gets overhauled.
The only reason we chose Barry over Lord was price. If I remember correctly
I ordered them from www.aircraftsuppliers.com

There is a reason Barry mounts are cheaper. You'll end up replacing them
sooner and/or your props will go out of balance sooner.
Old May 25th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_2_]

The Lords I removed from the right engine were installed at overhaul
(previous owner) and were baked and sagging pretty bad after 500 hours.
After 300 hours the Barry mounts look and act like new, although I installed
extra heat shielding around them when I installed them.

What's been your experience?

Jim

"kontiki" wrote in message
Jim Burns wrote:
We put Barry mounts on the right engine of our Aztec when we replaced

them
about 300 hours ago. They are still holding strong. The Lord mounts on

our
left engine will get replaced this winter when the engine gets

overhauled.
The only reason we chose Barry over Lord was price. If I remember

correctly
I ordered them from www.aircraftsuppliers.com

There is a reason Barry mounts are cheaper. You'll end up replacing them
sooner and/or your props will go out of balance sooner.

Lord Engine Mounts DonMorrisey Home Built 2 December 16th 06 04:05 PM
Experiences with Cessna 172 upgrade to 180hp? Leonard Ellis Owning 7 October 7th 06 02:04 PM
Overhaul of 180HP Lycoming 0-360-A4M in a Skyhawk (C-172) Andrew Gideon Owning 21 January 15th 06 06:11 PM
PDA mounts Mhudson126 Soaring 10 May 19th 04 07:24 PM
HOT start 180HP engine Hankal Owning 15 April 3rd 04 03:52 AM