Carrier readiness?

Old September 21st 04, 02:30 PM
Pechs1

theecmo- When were you on the Midway? I was 81-84. BRBR

I was November '80, June '83, VF-151.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old September 21st 04, 04:42 PM
Michael Wise

In article ,
Andrew C. Toppan wrote:

A carrier air wing is always "fully battle
ready" when on deployment.

Even during a Steel Beach or while in a foreign port?

During all our steel beaches, there were always alert-5 and alert-15
aircraft.

--Mike
Old September 21st 04, 11:07 PM
Sanderson

You are a nitwit.

-Sanderson

Andrew C. Toppan wrote in
:

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:47:59 -0400, "Theecmo"
wrote:

A carrier air wing is always "fully battle
ready" when on deployment.

Even during a Steel Beach or while in a foreign port?

Perhaps the definition of "fully" is variable.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,

Old September 21st 04, 11:10 PM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:07:04 +0000, Sanderson
wrote:

You are a nitwit.

And how have you established your credentials here?

Old September 22nd 04, 01:45 AM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:42:29 GMT, Michael Wise wrote:

During all our steel beaches, there were always alert-5 and alert-15
aircraft.

Like I said, the definition of "fully battle ready" can vary. I don't
think the condition you describe is "fully" battle ready in any way.
Perhaps capable of basic self defense, which is a rather different
thing.

Old September 22nd 04, 09:31 PM
Michael Wise

In article ,
Andrew C. Toppan wrote:

During all our steel beaches, there were always alert-5 and alert-15
aircraft.

Like I said, the definition of "fully battle ready" can vary. I don't
think the condition you describe is "fully" battle ready in any way.
Perhaps capable of basic self defense, which is a rather different
thing.

Perhaps so. In my mind's eye, "fully battle ready" (in the context of a
CV/CVN) would mean: the ship is at GQ and all tactical air assets are
armed and ready for launch.

In peace time, this is not often the case, but it doesn't take long to
get to that stage...even when steel beach is in progress. Alert crews
are ALWAYS at the ready for all CVW assets and the weapons are just a
bomb elevator and an AO-squad away from being ready.

BTW, which carrier did you serve on and when?

--Mike
Old September 22nd 04, 09:42 PM
John R Weiss

81-83

"Theecmo" wrote...
When were you on the Midway? I was 81-84.

Old October 7th 04, 09:48 PM
Jim Pankey

There is no way there will 'always be' aircraft on a carrier. There will,
however, always be booze.

Jim Pankey, PR1, USN (Ret.)--veteran of 6 bird farms.

"Clark" wrote in message
Andrew C. Toppan wrote in
:

On 15 Sep 2004 03:11:07 GMT, Clark wrote:

Wah, Wah, Wah. When you are wrong, admit it and move on.

That would be fine if I was wrong. I gave a reasonable and correct
answer - just not the one YOU wanted. Why are you the arbiter of what
is correct?

It has nothing to do with my wants, it has to do with your error. To wit:

Mr.
Wise correctly noted there will always be aircraft on a carrier. You
neglected to note the error of your comment, much less accept the

correction.

In short, you *are* wrong, twice now.