A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Help me convince my wife..... :)

Old May 27th 16, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Help me convince my wife..... :)

Thanks

Being that I go away for a week at a time for work, she's comfortable on her own. Being stuck at a glider port MAY be a bridge too far. We'll find out.

JP
Old May 27th 16, 08:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Well you could join multiple clubs but to me being a good club member obliges you to spending a certain amount of time and energy in volunteer work to keep things going as well as putting up the membership and rental fees. As long as you were willing and able to do that rather than just show up for a few weeks every year to use the equipment and then disappear afterwards it could be an option.

If buying the 24 would really put a strain on your finances maybe go for an older glider rather than the club route. It's just too damn nice to actually own your own ship, have it available whenever you need it, set it up exactly the way you want it and get thoroughly familiar with it. If you buy a good one and keep it in good shape you're unlikely to lose much money on the deal.
Old May 27th 16, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 5:15:35 PM UTC-4, noel.wade wrote:
Ultimately, the key is having a wife that is comfortable doing "her thing" while you do yours.

I know one couple who made it work in your locale. Wife joined http://www.amc4000footer.org/ Husband flies (and owns a nice glider).

If you go this route, you may be the one waiting around for your spouse to return.

I've climbed a few of 4000 footers in the Whites. Soaring takes less sweat,and costs more money, but the views are better and deer ticks and mosquitoes are a non-issue (unless you land out).
Old May 27th 16, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Jp you might enjoy reading an article I wrote thats in this last months May Soaring "Two Bits Gets Silver-a Silver Anniversary". Its the last of a three part series. This was my wifes introduction to crewing LOL.
Dan
Old May 28th 16, 11:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 2:04:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Jp you might enjoy reading an article I wrote thats in this last months May Soaring "Two Bits Gets Silver-a Silver Anniversary". Its the last of a three part series. This was my wifes introduction to crewing LOL.
Dan

Dan.. I have been reading the series, I had a good laugh. The drunk 'helpful' mechanic was my favorite part. I get into situations like that ALL the time at small county airports flying private jets. Eventually, you get the job done, but no one believes the crap you have to go through to get there.

JP
Old May 28th 16, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

JP the biggest trip of all, as you have seen in your back road charter flying is, its all true! I couldnt make up half of what I encounter flying xc around here. I'm glad you enjoyed the series.

In all seriousness, if soaring is something that has become a passion, then it is something you have to pursue within financial responsibility. I have found that to deny whats in your heart leads to a compromise induced form of soul misery. Your wife while knowing that flying isnt her thing, hopefully aknowledges that flying IS yours and its integral to what makes you, you. My wife has no idea how integral soaring is to me. She crewed for me but it was no big deal. When I set a new regional 1-26 record this spring she didnt have a clue what it meant. She even read my articles when I first wrote them but didnt say much, even after they were published. But she does get that flying is my thing and while not actively involved much, she doesnt get in the way either.

Find a bird that you can afford outright. If you can save up and buy an early 70's generation glass (libelle, cirrus, asw15) buy one for cash and fly the wings off it, you will never regret the decision to own your own bird. If you are on a tighter budget or want a real challenge of soaring airmanship get into a 1-26. Thats what I did and I have never had so much fun in my life. Ive had glass and 40/1 ships but the fun and challenge of the little 1-26 has been phenominal. I've got a grand total of 8k invested which got me arguably one of the nicest birds in existance including a custom trailer, and fully stocked modern panel. We have a great association that helps in every aspect of the bird from flying it efficiently to maintenance. And if you have a competative spirit either with yourself (personal goals) or others (competition flying) then the 1-26'ers can fill that nitch. One of the great things about them is, they are very easy to crew for, extreemly rugged and safe, and the top guys while fiercly competative, will share all the tips they used in beating you over an after flight beer. Also, on the crewing front, you can set records and still be very close to home.
There's my advice and commercial LOL. Save up if you need to but buy the bird, then ask for forgiveness afterward.
Dan
Old May 28th 16, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Dan

The money isn't the main issue. My wife is tighter than the bark on a tree! She's have the same complaint if I spent 5 or 50 thousand.

I can live with half of a 50k ship. My syndicate partner is in his middle to late 60s.. so very likely I'd be buying the other half before I turn 55. Lots of years to enjoy it.

I own the 1-35 now. It's just not so easy to rig and de-rig for travel... and I own 1/4 of it. I'd keep that. It's too cheap not to.

Just looking for something with better legs, easy to rig and travel with, and better tech. I can stomach half. If I were only going it alone.. I wouldn't end up with something much better performance or ease of rigging than the 1-35. I could just fly at commercial places in the off season, and call it good for a few years. Maybe travel and setup the 1-35 for a few months at a time out west or in FL.

I don't think my wife is going to 'get' the lifestyle... but I'm hoping that an RV and brining our 'hair kids' along will work out. We'll see.

JP
Old May 28th 16, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Just buy a glider. There are lots of women in the world, but a good glider is hard to find. Just saying.....

Old May 28th 16, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

"I have found that to deny what's in your heart leads to a compromise-induced form of soul misery."

Well said, Dan.

We only get one shot at life and find so many reasons to deny ourselves our own happiness. If there was anything my wife wanted that would make her happy, I'd agree in an instant. She knows that. Yet, for some reason I feel obligated to make a sales pitch for getting my own glider. Money isn't the issue. It's just that a glider is a solitary pleasure that she will take no part in and I feel a little selfish about it. I think we need to take a pottery class together... ;-)

Paul A.
Jupiter, FL
Old May 28th 16, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

You thinking "Ghost"?...... We'll all lose to PS, even though he passed away....... :-(