Age 60 rule catch 22

Old December 18th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Age 60 rule catch 22

Reply from AOPA..

Based upon the new provision in the rule change a pilot has to be 60 or
younger when the new law went into effect (December 13) in order to take
advantage of the new 65th birthday limit. Sorry.

Jim Knight, AOPA

Old December 18th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Reply from AOPA..

Based upon the new provision in the rule change a pilot has to be 60 or
younger when the new law went into effect (December 13) in order to take
advantage of the new 65th birthday limit. Sorry.

Jim Knight, AOPA

How in the world did *that* slip through. Was someone asleep at the wheel,
or was there an "other side" which wanted to grandfather that 5 year window
of pilots "out" of the cockpit as ATP's?

Old December 18th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Dec 17, 7:34 pm, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:
"Jim Macklin" wrote in message

Reply from AOPA..

Based upon the new provision in the rule change a pilot has to be 60 or
younger when the new law went into effect (December 13) in order to take
advantage of the new 65th birthday limit. Sorry.

Jim Knight, AOPA

How in the world did *that* slip through. Was someone asleep at the wheel,
or was there an "other side" which wanted to grandfather that 5 year window
of pilots "out" of the cockpit as ATP's?

I'm guessing the retirees didn't want to come back to work.

-robert

Old December 18th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Newps" wrote in message
That's not correct. If you are 62 today you can get hired and fly until
you are 65.

Cite? That was not what I read.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 18th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Newps wrote in
:

That's not correct. If you are 62 today you can get hired and fly
until you are 65.

You can fly for a living til you drop!

Just not as an ATP

Bertie
Old December 19th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Dec 18, 4:17 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Ok, that's just a bit non-responsive. I think that was assumed
throughout this thread. Yes you can fly as a CFI or 135 pilot until
you are 200 years old. But the age 60 rule only applies to operations
that require class 1 medicals (even if you don't have to have an ATP
rating) so I think we assumed this thread to apply to that.

Not true, this applies to acting as PIC for a 121 carrier.
Old December 19th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Dec 19, 6:51 am, "F. Baum" wrote:
On Dec 18, 4:17 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Ok, that's just a bit non-responsive. I think that was assumed
throughout this thread. Yes you can fly as a CFI or 135 pilot until
you are 200 years old. But the age 60 rule only applies to operations
that require class 1 medicals (even if you don't have to have an ATP
rating) so I think we assumed this thread to apply to that.

Not true, this applies to acting as PIC for a 121 carrier.

Which 121 reg says that the PIC holding a class 2 medical must be
under the age of 60 or 65? I don't see that reg. I'm not aware of any
121 operator that allows PICs not not be ATP but certainly many of
them allow first officers to not be ATPs. However, that I am aware of
require all flight crew to hold a class 1 medical (regardless of
rating). Those first officers would have to be under the age of 60/65
even if they only held a commercial simply because of their ops class
1 medical requirement.

-Robert
Old December 20th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Dec 19, 10:38 am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Not true, this applies to acting as PIC for a 121 carrier.

Which 121 reg says that the PIC holding a class 2 medical must be
under the age of 60 or 65? I don't see that reg. I'm not aware of any
121 operator that allows PICs not not be ATP but certainly many of
them allow first officers to not be ATPs. However, that I am aware of
require all flight crew to hold a class 1 medical (regardless of
rating). Those first officers would have to be under the age of 60/65
even if they only held a commercial simply because of their ops class
1 medical requirement.

-Robert

You're kidding, arent you ?

Old December 20th 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Dec 19, 7:51 pm, "F. Baum" wrote:
On Dec 19, 10:38 am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Not true, this applies to acting as PIC for a 121 carrier.

Which 121 reg says that the PIC holding a class 2 medical must be
under the age of 60 or 65? I don't see that reg. I'm not aware of any
121 operator that allows PICs not not be ATP but certainly many of
them allow first officers to not be ATPs. However, that I am aware of
require all flight crew to hold a class 1 medical (regardless of
rating). Those first officers would have to be under the age of 60/65
even if they only held a commercial simply because of their ops class
1 medical requirement.

-Robert

You're kidding, arent you ?

No, what reg under part 121 say you can't be age 60/65??

-Robert