Garmin Legend as Flight Logger?

Old January 30th 04, 06:22 PM
Larry Bogan

Default Garmin Legend as Flight Logger?

The Garmin Legend has 10,000 track points and records GPS altitude - has
anyone used
it for a flight data logger? How is it in the cockpit?

Larry

--
Larry Bogan --- 902-678-0446 --
RR#2, Cambridge Station, NS, B0P1G0

Old January 30th 04, 06:46 PM
Marc Ramsey

Larry Bogan wrote:

The Garmin Legend has 10,000 track points and records GPS altitude -
has anyone used it for a flight data logger? How is it in the cockpit?

The Legend should work fine, but the display is rather small. The
Garmin GPSMAP 76 has essentially the same features, a 50% larger
display, and costs around $10 more...

Marc
Old January 30th 04, 09:49 PM
Jack

On 1/30/04 12:46 PM, in article
, "Marc Ramsey"
wrote:

Larry Bogan wrote:

The Garmin Legend has 10,000 track points and records GPS altitude -
has anyone used it for a flight data logger? How is it in the cockpit?

The Legend should work fine, but the display is rather small. The
Garmin GPSMAP 76 has essentially the same features, a 50% larger
display, and costs around $10 more...

The GPSmap 76 controls are on the front where you can see and touch them
readily, instead of on the side as they are in the eTrex (Legend, et al)
series. I suppose the side controls are better for hand held use, but I
wouldn't want them for panel or other cockpit mounting alternatives.

-------
Jack
-------

Old January 30th 04, 10:13 PM
Marc Ramsey

Jack wrote:
The GPSmap 76 controls are on the front where you can see and touch them
readily, instead of on the side as they are in the eTrex (Legend, et al)
series. I suppose the side controls are better for hand held use, but I
wouldn't want them for panel or other cockpit mounting alternatives.

And, I forgot to mention, the GPSMAP 76 uses an internal quadrifilar
antenna, which is correctly oriented for vertical mounting of the unit,
whereas the Legend has a patch antenna which is oriented for horizontal
handheld use. The GPSMAP 76 also has an external antenna connector,
which the Legend lacks.

Marc

Old January 30th 04, 11:59 PM
Jim Kelly

Don't forget that you have two variations on this advice, both of
which I have owned and used prior to moving to WinPilot on an iPaq:

The Garmin GPS Map 76s which has extra features for gliding. An
ideal GPS if you have no interest in using a Pocket-PC in flight.
The Garmin GPS 72 which has no map ability, but is cheaper and has a
lower resolution display that I found to be easier to read in the
cockpit when mounted at arms length. An ideal first gliding
navigation instrument, except that it only stores 2,000 points (eg
5hr 40m at 10 second intervals).

Both are lovely units, but if you are inclined towards computers at
all you may end up where I am!! An iPaq still needs a GPS to drive
it, any Garmin will do, but a 'mouse' type is all that is needed and
is much easier to fit into the cockpit (especially as the 72/76 must
be mounted vertically). If FAI badge work is anticipated, or
competition flying, an inevitable expense will be an FAI logger and
most of these include a GPS that can drive an iPaq Pocket-PC. Some
loggers are 'combined' units also providing you with:

An elaborate vario system (eg: Cambridge 302)
A thermal centering aid (eg: Thermi)
Just a (portable) logger with a basic nav display (eg: Colibri,
Volkslogger)

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

. com...

Old January 31st 04, 01:59 AM
Wojciech Scigala

30-01-2004 22:13, Marc Ramsey:

And, I forgot to mention, the GPSMAP 76 uses an internal quadrifilar
antenna, which is correctly oriented for vertical mounting of the unit,
whereas the Legend has a patch antenna which is oriented for horizontal
handheld use. The GPSMAP 76 also has an external antenna connector,
which the Legend lacks.

I strap Legend to my leg, so it's in horizontal position. Panel-mounting
is not a good idea for Legend. However, if I would decide to panel-mount
a GPS, I would choose receiver designed for using in air, or PDA with
appropriate software.

As for antenna, you don't need external one in the glider, signal has no
obstacles and even vertically-positioned Legend works fine. The only
need for external antenna is if you have 'metallized' canopy, like front
shields in many new cars have. It blocks RF and make GPS receivers
inoperative.

--
Wojtus'.net __|__
FidoNet: 2:484/47 `--------o--------'

Old January 31st 04, 04:13 AM
Mike

"Larry Bogan" wrote in message ...
The Garmin Legend has 10,000 track points and records GPS altitude - has
anyone used
it for a flight data logger? How is it in the cockpit?

Larry

I've been using the 76S (similar to Legend software) and found it
works great. I downloaded a couple hundred waypoints and airports
from a friend which are really nice when you get away from home. The
distance to a point feature is good to have. I use it with a prayer
wheel as a flight computer although I may break down and hook it up
with a PDA & Windpilot this season. It downloads to SeeYou flight
analysis software just like the high priced IGC loggers do and it does
some things they don't do. I do wish I could do some badge flights
with it though. Well, my friend did say I could borrow his barograph.
The Legend should work great.
__mike
Old January 31st 04, 05:07 AM
Jim Kelly

Correction, the Garmin "Vista" has the same sw as the GPSmap76s, the
Legend does not have gliding functions AFAIK
Jim Kelly

om...