Best performing Vario?

Old October 1st 12, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Best performing Vario?

Years back, I installed a simple toggle switch on top of the stick in my
LS-6. Switch forward meant "Go Fast", switch back meant "Thermal". Easy
and intuitive, no reaching to the panel to switch between cruise and climb
mode.

wrote in message
On Sunday, September 30, 2012 9:16:24 PM UTC-4, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
Can anyone tell me how CN switches from Cruise to Climb with the

software available (assuming no switch installed)?

In the case of my vario, it showed up with a switch already wired in. A
software update came along about the same time that enabled automatic
switching at 65kts. Unfortunately you can only do one or the other right
now; I couldn't find a config screen in the vario to change that. The
change has to be done using their profile generator program on a PC.

The switch was easy to install in the panel, but
it's a pain to have to fiddle with it whenever you want to start working
a thermal. 65kts is just too fast in my plane for searching for lift
down low (it's about MC 1.5kts for me).

This does seem to be a work in progress however. I'm hoping for a
circling
detector at some point.

-- Matt

Old October 1st 12, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

wrote in message

[...]

It is the 21st century why would I need switches? CAI 302 does great
switching by itself and it was not designed yesterday. As a consumer I
would expect ClearNav to be at least as good as CAI 302. I hope it
happens. It would be nice to have a release schedule at least with
things like electronic compensation and climb/run switching. I would
consider these to be basic features of a modern variometer. I hope
this happens soon.
Old October 1st 12, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 07:47:31 -0700, Evan Ludeman wrote:

On Oct 1, 10:36Â*am, wrote:

This does seem to be a work in progress however. Â*I'm hoping for a
circling detector at some point.

Yes, and it's coming, respectively. Probably GPS track based (like 302,
which works great).

I have an SDI C4 which offers the choice of circling detection (off the
GPS) and speed switching. Circling detection isn't tweakable - it
switched after 90 or 270 degrees depending on (amongst other things) how
tight you turn. Speed switching is highly customisable: you have separate
settings for the speed to switch from cruise-climb and climb-cruise,
which is great as I prefer the climb-cruise to be set a bit higher than
the cruise-climb transition. I prefer speed switching to circle
detection because it allows me to stay in climb mode along a weak street.

The SDI C3 also has a three position switch (up=climb, centre=auto,
down=cruise) which overrides automatic mode selection but this was
deleted from the C4 (actually, the C4 offers a choice of manual, circle
or speed switching but these are all mutually exclusive: it has no
equivalent of the C3's manual override). IMO the C3 setup was better, but
with tuning the C4's speed switching is very good: the vario is in the
appropriate mode 95% of the time.

IME a good move would be to consider using the C3 type setup for the CN:
the ability to adjust the two switching speeds to suit the glider type
and your flying style is an essential feature.

The C3/C4 also operates as a standard TE vario in climb mode and as a
super-netto type in cruise. This also works well for me.

T8 for ClearNav

HTH

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old October 1st 12, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:58:15 AM UTC-7, Craig R. wrote:
In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time.

Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor. Basic performance is the only criteria.

I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical.

Which unit did it for you?

For those of you that are flying the ClearNav varios. How do you find the wind data on the vario (not SeeYou, LK8000, etc.) compares with your buddies flying with SN10s?

Thanks,
Craig
Old October 2nd 12, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_32_]

On Monday, October 1, 2012 5:00:03 PM UTC-4, Craig Funston wrote:
On Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:58:15 AM UTC-7, Craig R. wrote:

In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time.

Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor. Basic performance is the only criteria.

I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical.

Which unit did it for you?

For those of you that are flying the ClearNav varios. How do you find the wind data on the vario (not SeeYou, LK8000, etc.) compares with your buddies flying with SN10s?

Thanks,

Craig

There's wind data? I haven't found it on mine yet. I thought that was one of the as-yet un-implemented features!

Jim
Old October 2nd 12, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Monday, October 1, 2012 4:56:54 PM UTC-7, Jim wrote:
[...]

It's a bit hard to tell from the ClearNav website and from Cumulus Soaring. Sounds like it might not have been implemented yet...

Craig
Old October 2nd 12, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Monday, October 1, 2012 5:39:01 PM UTC-7, Craig Funston wrote:
[...]

I'd rather see the team work on winds aloft before thermal centering.

Craig
Old October 2nd 12, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 1, 2012 8:41:18 PM UTC-4, Craig Funston wrote:
On Monday, October 1, 2012 5:39:01 PM UTC-7, Craig Funston wrote: On Monday, October 1, 2012 4:56:54 PM UTC-7, Jim wrote: On Monday, October 1, 2012 5:00:03 PM UTC-4, Craig Funston wrote: On Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:58:15 AM UTC-7, Craig R. wrote: In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time. Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor.. Basic performance is the only criteria. I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical. Which unit did it for you? For those of you that are flying the ClearNav varios. How do you find the wind data on the vario (not SeeYou, LK8000, etc.) compares with your buddies flying with SN10s? Thanks, Craig There's wind data? I haven't found it on mine yet. I thought that was one of the as-yet un-implemented features! Jim It's a bit hard to tell from the ClearNav website and from Cumulus Soaring. Sounds like it might not have been implemented yet... Craig I'd rather see the team work on winds aloft before thermal centering. Craig

All are depending upon GPS funtionality which is still to come. Look forward to faster progress now that the team has evolved.
UH
Old October 2nd 12, 06:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

Hey John:

How about we all look outside for things we would prefer not to midair?

The nature and volume of discussion regarding "climb maximizer" screens suggests that many pilots are seriously focused "head-down" while thermaling.

I know everyone will soundly proclaim that this is absolutely not the case and that they are maintaining an appropriate traffic scan and situational awareness while simultaneously checking the maximizer screen but I do not believe it.

Are glider pilots becoming the airborne equivalent of the modern teen-ager who walks into the shopping mall fountain, head-down while staring at their electronic devices? I tend to believe this is true which leaves me horrified.

The solution? FLARM, of course!

Addictions come in many flavors.

Old October 2nd 12, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Monday, October 1, 2012 10:43:12 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
Hey John: How about we all look outside for things we would prefer not to midair? The nature and volume of discussion regarding "climb maximizer" screens suggests that many pilots are seriously focused "head-down" while thermaling. I know everyone will soundly proclaim that this is absolutely not the case and that they are maintaining an appropriate traffic scan and situational awareness while simultaneously checking the maximizer screen but I do not believe it. Are glider pilots becoming the airborne equivalent of the modern teen-ager who walks into the shopping mall fountain, head-down while staring at their electronic devices? I tend to believe this is true which leaves me horrified. The solution? FLARM, of course! Addictions come in many flavors.

Unknowen. You are certainly not wrong here but not correct either.
Looking, glancing and referring to a "climb maximizer" is NO DIFFERENT than looking, glancing and referring to a vario. I read statements previously in this thread that one should only fly by the sound of an audio and the seat of the pants but I would very much doubt if anyone actually consistently does this. After all I can't remember the last time, if ever I seen a sailplane without a visual vario. The matter affect why would anyone spend in some cases thousands of dollars on a vario if not to use it?! I for one would glance at the vario OR climb maximizer once or twice in a turn and I'm sure this takes away very little from my situational awareness.
6PK