Got Big Thermals?

Old July 28th 09, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

Default Got Big Thermals?

On Jul 27, 8:07*pm, rlovinggood wrote:
Uncle Fuzzy,

Uh, gee, thanks. *That's what I've always wanted. *I feel so much
better now.

If I could, I would reciprocate with a photo of my panel. *At 1,000'
agl. *In a 0.0 "thermal". *Waiting and waiting and waiting for it to
build in a crescendo to the BIG 1.5 knotter that I know is really
there. *Oh yea, it's in the blue. *Sun is bright. *Sun is hot. *Sun is
beating down and I don't know why the damned canopy just doesn't melt
away. *As I said, if I could get the photo, I would. *But in those
times, I'm a bit too damned occupied with flying the glider and don't
have time to find the camera and actually take a picture. *But, as
they say, "you get the picture." *PhotoShop not required... * :-)

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Got it. You have my deepest sympathy. OTOH, for the same reasons, I
don't have pics of my panel when I'm 800 AGL in 110 degree heat
working a 1/2 knot 'keep alive' thermal. Of course, the 110 degrees
is OUTSIDE my Grob Solar Sauna. Inside is another story. Another,
more typical shot from my "Ugly Duckling" Speed Astir:

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/gall...03921793_8DKrW

I do envy those who fly over green, (and land on grass strips! (one of
the things on my 'bucket list)) but I love my desert thermals.
Cheers,
Old July 28th 09, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Jul 28, 12:20*am, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
[...]

Cheers,- Hide quoted text -

ROFLMAO - you two made my morning :-)

BTW, I always thought the Speed Disaster was kinda cool looking...
As a former Astir CS owner, I looked up to the flappy version.
Old July 29th 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

ROFLMAO - you two made my morning :-)

BTW, I always thought the Speed Disaster was kinda cool looking...
As a former Astir CS owner, I looked up to the flappy version.

_________________________________

It's not such a "Speed Disaster" when he's already 50km down course and you
are just getting off tow 4 aircraft behind him.

That's why it's called a "Speed" Astir... LOL

BT

Old July 29th 09, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Jul 28, 8:01*pm, "BT" wrote:

It's not such a "Speed Disaster" when he's already 50km down course and you
are just getting off tow 4 aircraft behind him.

That's why it's called a "Speed" Astir... LOL

BT

That assumes the guy who owns it knows how to put it together. I once
watched someone struggle for over two hours in the hot sun and
ultimately give up. You have to know how to line things up in the
Astirs or it truly is a Disaster.
Old July 29th 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Jul 28, 5:53*pm, Papa3 wrote:
On Jul 28, 8:01*pm, "BT" wrote:

It's not such a "Speed Disaster" when he's already 50km down course and you
are just getting off tow 4 aircraft behind him.

That's why it's called a "Speed" Astir... LOL

BT

That assumes the guy who owns it knows how to put it together. I once
watched someone struggle for over two hours in the hot sun and
ultimately give up. * You have to know how to line things up in the
Astirs or it truly is a Disaster.

Uh, yeah. It took me a long time to rig when I first got it, but it
isn't rocket science. Now I rig more quickly than any other glider on
the field. I don't think I'd want to try it with a one man rig
though, too many things to line up at once. I need one assistant for
5 - 7 minutes. 20 minutes from opening the trailer to PCC is about
average. Add 1/2 an hour if I'm filling up the wings.

Thermals in hell 01-- Zero One Soaring 5 May 26th 05 02:11 PM
Thermals and Horsepower Ken Kochanski (KK) Soaring 14 January 9th 05 05:50 PM
Who Discovered Thermals? Robert de León Soaring 11 June 29th 04 10:06 AM
Using thermals to climb? Kees Mies Piloting 41 April 27th 04 02:29 PM
Martian thermals C.Fleming Soaring 1 February 13th 04 07:50 PM