OLC, ENL, Start of soaring flight

Old July 30th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default OLC, ENL, Start of soaring flight

I'd like to hear from people who submit logs to OLC using a recorder
that has no ENL (Engine Noise Level) capability and produces a log
with no ENL data.

Does OLC automatically determine the start of soaring flight, or do
you always have to set it manually? If OLC does it automatically, how
often does it get tow release point correct (close enough that you
don't have to revise the time to get credit for full flight distance)?

Reason for the question is that I fly a pure glider and quite often my
tow release is many miles in error as my ENL is high due to open nose
vent. (CAI 302, ASW28)

thanks

Andy

Old July 30th 09, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Jul 30, 7:31*am, Andy wrote:
I'd like to hear from people who submit logs to OLC using a recorder
that has no *ENL (Engine Noise Level) capability and produces a log
with no ENL data.

Does OLC automatically determine the start of soaring flight, or do
you always have to set it manually? If OLC does it automatically, how
often does it get tow release point correct (close enough that you
don't have to revise the time to get credit for full flight distance)?

Reason for the question is that I fly a pure glider and quite often my
tow release is many miles in error as my ENL is high due to open nose
vent. (CAI 302, ASW28)

thanks

Andy

Andy,

To prevent the ENL error make sure the "pure glider" checkbox is
marked so it will ignore the noise. The checkbox is available when
submitting from SeeYou but I believe also in the OLC direct claim.
However the latest version of SeeYou has a bug which results in credit
from take off to landing, as if the soaring flight started right after
takeoff. Unfortunately they haven't fixed it yet so I suspect many olc
flights are scored wrongly, unless the start time was corrected
manually. A better option is to submit directly to OLC, which usually
doing good job on identifying the release based on either drop at
altitude or tight circle, which works well most of the time, unless
you release in wave or ridge lift.

Ramy
Old July 30th 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jul 30, 12:39*pm, Ramy wrote:
To prevent the ENL error make sure the "pure glider" checkbox is
marked so it will ignore the noise.

It would be intuitive to assume that were true but I don't think it
is. I believe I have pure glider checked but I cannot verify that
without making a new claim.

I asked OLC to ignor ENL for pure gliders and was advised that the way
to ensure ENL was ignored was to disable it in my logger. I know of
no way to do that with a 302 and I don't want to anyway.

Andy

SR-71 61-7974, engine start - "61-7974 engine start, Jan 16, 1984, Ramstein AB, Scott R Wilson.jpg" 176.9 KBytes [email protected] Aviation Photos 7 November 3rd 07 02:14 PM
It Was 103 Years Ago This Week - Witnesses before the start of Wilbur Wright's attempted first flight, Kill Devil Hills, December 14, 1903.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman Aviation Photos 0 December 18th 06 03:24 PM
FS2004 -Can I start a flight mid air? [email protected] Simulators 3 July 26th 05 06:38 PM
Best Soaring Flight Sim? Eggs Soaring 18 September 17th 03 04:46 PM
Soaring Flight Sim? Eggs Simulators 4 September 15th 03 08:18 PM