A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

KS/Birds at SSA Convention

Old February 1st 16, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default KS/Birds at SSA Convention

I understand there will be no taping/recording or whatever of the Convention lectures. What a shame....and with today's technology!

Trust me; you absolutely gotta see/hear Karl's Soaring Birds lecture. I have been lucky to see it several times in the last 40+ years, starting way back with SOARING SYMPOSIA. Everyone knows he is a World Class pilot, some of you may not know that he is a Master Falconer.Once when he was active in falconry
he brought his pet Kestrel (sparrow hawk), PeeWee, with him to the lecture.. WOW, what fun, never to be forgotten!

I know firsthand how well Karl knows soaring birds. In the last dozen years since I gave up racing, I have flown at least a half-dozen contest flights in the back seat of his Duo in many eastern venues. His running commentary notes every bird, its species and significance to our flight. His eagle eyes see them all. My old eyes see maybe a third! But oh what fun. Don't miss such a chance if possible.

Next best thing is....absolutely do not miss his convention lecture. It's scheduled for Friday, 1:30PM in room 202C.

Ed Byars

Old February 2nd 16, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default KS/Birds at SSA Convention

On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 4:51:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I understand there will be no taping/recording or whatever of the Convention lectures. What a shame....and with today's technology!

Trust me; you absolutely gotta see/hear Karl's Soaring Birds lecture. I have been lucky to see it several times in the last 40+ years, starting way back with SOARING SYMPOSIA. Everyone knows he is a World Class pilot, some of you may not know that he is a Master Falconer.Once when he was active in falconry
he brought his pet Kestrel (sparrow hawk), PeeWee, with him to the lecture. WOW, what fun, never to be forgotten!

I know firsthand how well Karl knows soaring birds. In the last dozen years since I gave up racing, I have flown at least a half-dozen contest flights in the back seat of his Duo in many eastern venues. His running commentary notes every bird, its species and significance to our flight. His eagle eyes see them all. My old eyes see maybe a third! But oh what fun. Don't miss such a chance if possible.

Next best thing is....absolutely do not miss his convention lecture. It's scheduled for Friday, 1:30PM in room 202C.

Ed Byars

Yes, this should be a great discussion. I've heard various versions from Karl over the years as well along with "After flight bird discussions".

Wonder if he will cover a new thing I saw this morning on the news, the use of Eagles to take small drones out of the air! Hope it doesn't hurt any birds.