Transponders, Radios and other avionics procurement questions

Old July 1st 03, 01:42 PM
Corky Scott

Default Transponders, Radios and other avionics procurement questions

I'm at the point where I need to start collecting instruments so I can
build the instrument panel.

As always, I'm a bit shocked at the prices new or reconditioned
instruments cost: The typical panel mount radio goes for around $900
to $1300 depending on how much power and features you want. The
transponder can be around that price too.

Here's another question about the transponder: Must it be coupled to
an encoding altimeter or can it get it's altitude information
independently of the altimeter? Or does that depend on the
instrument?

Speaking of the transponder, I have flown enough to have an opinion on
what type of instrument is easier to operate: Those that allow you to
punch in the squawk code one number after the other. The types that
force you to dial in the first number, move the curser over and dial
in the next etc etc do work, but it's cumbersome and adds to the work
load to have to decode the instrument so you can operate it. So given
the choice, I'd prefer the types that allow you to dial each of the
four numbers independently, or those that allow you to punch in the
number off a key pad, one after the other.

For the radios, having both active and standby frequencies showing
just makes good sense and lessens the workload.

I've found what appears to be a pretty good source for the standard
instruments in but haven't asked him yet if he also handles avionics.

I'm new to this part of building so any ideas or locations or sources
are welcome.

Thanks, Corky Scott
Old July 2nd 03, 03:10 AM
Craig

Hey Corky: I'm partial to going with Collins Microline when there is
space behind the panel. A tagged VHF 251 Com runs around 800$. Eastern
Avionics lists a special with a VHF 251 and a VIR 351 Nav for 1200$.
TDR 90 xponder for 900$. If there isn't space behind the panel , then
the ProLine series with remote heads. Plus, the ProLine remote boxes
have helped out a number of times with W&B problems.

I haven't played with anything other than Collins, King and ARC, so I
can't comment on any of the others.

Craig C.

Old July 2nd 03, 05:19 PM
Corky Scott

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:01:02 GMT, Paul Lee wrote:

(Corky Scott) wrote in
:

.................... I am looking
seriously at solid state instruments but the least expensive (Dynon)
advertises that their instrument fits in a 3 and 1/8" hole. That
would be ok if it were just a solid state artificial horizon, but it's
more, lots more and all that extra information fits on the screen
too...somewhere. Besides, it costs over $2,000 just sitting there.

BTW the Dynon EFIS has an encoder built into it.
With all the stuff it has its a real bargain at $2K.

Paul Lee ... SQ2000 canard project: www.abri.com/sq2000

Yup, it is. It has 10 instruments built into it. The only thing that
detracts from it's functionality is that the screen is pretty small,
less than 4 inches across. All that information from the ten
instruments goes on the screen somewhere.

So yes, you could buy that one instrument, plant it in the middle of
your panel without anything else and have all you need for flying
information.

Buying each of the ten instruments would cost more than $2000.

Of course, should the power supply go Tango Uniform, you've lost
everything at once....

Corky Scott