Spin training for US pilots?

Old June 4th 13, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Spin training for US pilots?

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 1:59:01 PM UTC-6, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 9:58:23 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Yes, spins are permitted except in Landing Flap and appear in the Aircraft Flight Manual for the ASW-27, as do Loops, Lazy Eights, Chandelles and Stall Turns. I practice spins, spin entries and recovery pretty much every season and perform the other maneuvers regularly. I am at a loss to understand the idea presented earlier that spin practice adds as as much risk as benefit - a quick look at the NTSB accident summaries undercuts this idea. I know of no one who has been in a fatal spin training accident, while on the other hand...

Hmmm, wonder why in the 27 but not the 26. What about the 29 and 31, anybody know?

I, too, find the idea that spin training is as dangerous as accidental (untrained!) spins unbelievable. Is there any shred of data to back that supposition?

The official view (not mine) is accidental spins are rare but mandating spin training would subject everyone to them making the overall risk comparable. There have been spin training accidents in the UK though not recently in the US as far as I know.

http://rdd.me/a5prkekd

I can't find a reference but I recall several papers showing those countries who mandated spin training actually had more spin accidents.

In recent years, there have been few cases of fully developed spins continuing through thousands of feet of altitude all the way to impact. This is what people imagine but it's very rare.

A far more common "spin accident" sees the aircraft completing less than one turn before impact. These are probably an incipient spin immediately transitioning to a spiral dive. In this case, the classic spin recovery technique taught at altitude is of little use and may even be dangerous. Far more useful is recognizing an impending spin departure and correcting it before it gets out of hand.
Old June 4th 13, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boise Pilot

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 1:59:01 PM UTC-6, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 9:58:23 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Yes, spins are permitted except in Landing Flap and appear in the Aircraft Flight Manual for the ASW-27, as do Loops, Lazy Eights, Chandelles and Stall Turns. I practice spins, spin entries and recovery pretty much every season and perform the other maneuvers regularly. I am at a loss to understand the idea presented earlier that spin practice adds as as much risk as benefit - a quick look at the NTSB accident summaries undercuts this idea. I know of no one who has been in a fatal spin training accident, while on the other hand...

Can not answer about the 31, the 29, normal recovery in all flap settings except the 'landing-flap' which is "Strictly Prohibited" flaps need to be reduced immediately. Water ballast has no noticeable influence except for increased speeds. There is a note,Spins can, based on CG and aileron position turn into spiral dive. I had extensive spin training in a 2-32 prior to solo and before my commercial check did 19 various rotation and heading recovering spins in one flight in a L-13 with an instructor who loved spinning. Aerobatics are not authorized in the 29..

Old June 5th 13, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Spin training in wave in a Blanik L-23 has got to be the most fun (and most productive hour of training) that I have ever had in a glider.
Old June 5th 13, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bart[_4_]

On Jun 4, 6:40*am, BobW wrote:
Personally, I find the mindsets I've encountered in fellow pilots (soaring and
power) regarding spins: often worrisome; always interesting; almost
universally lacking in fundamental understanding of the aerodynamic
uncertainties inherent to "departures from controlled flight" (typically
called "spin" for short).

To make a sweeping general statement which has long colored my own approach to
PIC-ing, if Joe Pilot doesn't truly believe "departure from controlled
flight/spinning" is "uncontrolled flight" Joe Pilot is doing him or herself a
serious disservice if living to fly another flight is personally important.

Old June 5th 13, 09:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Can some one point me at a single seat glider that won't spin?"

Rutan Solitaire? :-)

Of course there are quite a few that are placarded against deliberate spins..

Always loved deliberately spinning the L-13's the club used to have. The L-23 isn't quite as much fun in a spin. Never managed to get a real spin out if the Twin Astir RG or Acro but the DG-505 does it nicely. We used to have an early Standard Jantar which would drop a wing and spin pretty steep and fast (by glider standards) with little warning. My ASW-15B really has to be provoked to enter a spin.

Regardless of what the FAA found regarding the risk/benefit relationship of spin training in general aviation I would think that with gliders the fact that we spend so much time flying relatively close to stall speed would mean that spin training would have a higher benefit for us than light aeroplane pilots.

Changes made in the training syllabus in Canada regarding spins since I started flying in 1998 are that there is much more emphasis on recognizing stall/spin warning signs and correctly responding to them. The actual full blooded spins are now done with a slow, shallow banked turn combined with too much bottom rudder as the entry. When I started flying we used to enter the spin from a straight ahead sharp stall combined with quick full rudder deflection.
Old June 5th 13, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:36:42 PM UTC-7, Bill D wrote:

The official view (not mine) is accidental spins are rare but mandating spin training would subject everyone to them making the overall risk comparable. There have been spin training accidents in the UK though not recently in the US as far as I know.

A far more common "spin accident" sees the aircraft completing less than one turn before impact. These are probably an incipient spin immediately transitioning to a spiral dive. In this case, the classic spin recovery technique taught at altitude is of little use and may even be dangerous.

We should be clear to distinguish between gliders and GA more broadly. I would argue that gliders have a higher risk of accidental spins and lower risk associated with properly executed practice. Certainly it's not a good idea to practice spins at close to pattern altitude or in an aircraft with unpredictable spin characteristics, without a parachute, without proper instruction, etc.

It should go without saying that if you are going to practice spins you will benefit more from practicing the kinds of entries that are likely to catch you by surprise (low bank angle, over-ruddered turns). I disagree with the idea that being familiar with how a glider behaves in a spin entry at a safe altitude is somehow worse for a pilot than having to figure it out for the first time at 300'.

If you can find the official study, I'd love to see it. I'm wondering whether they simply assume that most CFIs are simply not competent enough pilots to be trusted not to do really dumb things should spin training be mandated or that a single fatality from mandated spin training is worse from a liability perspective than many more from accidental stall/spins.

Mandated or not I think it's a good idea to get familiar with what happens to your glider under the circumstances that kill more glider pilots than any other phase of flight.

9B
Old June 5th 13, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
guy

Having learned to fly in the "good ol days" when power pilots actually
had to demonstrate a full stall as opposed to recognizing an eminent
stall, I am biased on this topic.
I have been flying aerobatics for most of my life and have taken
dozens of fellow pilots up for some adventure. When my fellow pilots
take control and attempt a full stall or spin, the vast majority
freeze up mentally and/or physically upon entering the maneuver. They
are not used to the feelings, the control feel, the sight picture, and
the sounds, or lack there of. It is my opinion that this is a major
factor in most of our "falling out of the sky" accidents. I agree
that because we fly so close to the bottom end of the flight envelop
we should be experts at recognizing and taking control of "departures
from controlled flight." It also takes regular practice. At the
least, I vote for our biennual fight reviews to include entering and
recovering from full stalls and full spins (providing the aircraft is
appropriate for this activity).

Guy Acheson "DDS"
Old June 5th 13, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 9:51:31 AM UTC-6, Martin Eiler wrote:

Recently we saw a pilot upgrade in performance to an ASW20.

In spite of at least 3 instructors telling him he needed to get spin

training before flying that glider. The new owner has chosen to ignore

their recommendations.

Actually, If a pilot were to blow off spin training, A 20 is a good ship to own because it does not spin readily. More likely (Depending on the CG) it will enter into a steep spiral. The thing we need to remember is that it is not necessarily spins that cause accidents, It is the lack of recognition that does. This was addressed in the video that Sean posted. The goal of training should be to recognize and avoid spins in the first place and not just on spin recovery.

Old June 5th 13, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, June 2, 2013 4:11:56 PM UTC-6, Ralph Jones wrote:

Even more amazing: It is possible to become an airline captain without

ever having had an airplane upside down...

What does having an airplane upside down have to do with airline captains? I think you are confusing machizmo with relevance. A more appropriate statement would be "By the time a pilot becomes a Captain he/she has had plenty of upset and unusual attitude recovery training."

Old June 5th 13, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, June 5, 2013 4:30:34 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I used to enjoy spins in the L-13, too. We require spin training for all
our students, but we put it as a post-solo lesson. Pre-solo we cover
stalls, stall awareness, and slow flight (incipient stall) once the student
has mastered basic control of the aircraft.

I'll disagree about Grobs spinning. They don't stay in the spin very long,
but they depart in a most impressive manner if you enter properly. The
entry is the exact setup that catches people by surprise -- slow speed,
shallow turn, bottom rudder, and then react "instinctively" with aileron
instead of rudder. The wing drops very quickly and one finds oneself looking
up at the ground. This only lasts about half a turn before becoming a
spiral dive, but it happens even with forward cg. It's good to see this
in a Grob because the Grob has a reputation as being hard to stall or spin.
It also leads into a discussion that other planes the pilot will fly can
depart more quickly and stay in longer, and teaches them to be vigilant
because even in a "benign" plane the entry can be a killer.

Matt

Spin Training argyliz Piloting 2 June 30th 07 08:48 PM
Spin training Steven Barnes Piloting 37 October 18th 06 05:25 AM
No spin training in the US? Mark Morissette Piloting 48 April 5th 05 03:51 AM
Spin Training Captain Wubba Piloting 25 April 12th 04 02:11 PM
Spin Training JJ Sinclair Soaring 6 February 16th 04 05:49 PM