A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Winter musing - Poll on Bugs

Old January 27th 16, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA
external usenet poster

Default Winter musing - Poll on Bugs

"BEU" sounds like a valid time constant, but there are many variables. I consumed three beers this evening in the time it took another pilot to handle only two. Obviously, the BEU needs to be correlated with time- like a 12 A/Hour battery or something like that. Not all circuits (or pilots) draw amps (or beer) at the same rate. I have heard that Mormons, for instance, have a rather low BEU/Hr consumption rate unless you only go camping with one of them.
Old January 28th 16, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Don't forget the regional or geographical considerations as well. When I lived in SC in a dry county, the locals only consumed BEU's in the closet and out of site of any spousal units
Old January 29th 16, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BG[_4_]
external usenet poster

Airsailing 1-2
Convergence line Hollister to New Cuyama 2-3
Sierras from Truckee 1

BG
Old February 2nd 16, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber
external usenet poster

Northern Virginia

April to November: 2-3.
November to March 0-1

While on the subject of "Bugs", my SN-10 has a setting for Bugs. Since I have a 2-seater now, the passengers almost always ask me why the flight computer has a setting for bugs.

After looking to the SN-10 manual, I found that it says 0% means no bugs (and I think that's pretty obvious), but I'm not sure what the calibration for bugs should be on the high end. If my wings look black from the crusted guts of smashed bugs, would that be 100% bugs? Would 100% bugs be merely a "fair smattering?" How does one calculate the carnage of bugs as a percentage? Is accurate bug determination for final glide where the art of soaring comes into its element?

The manual actually reads as follows on page 6:
Bugs 0% - The percent degradation of your max L/D is 0% (no bugs or rain).

Old February 2nd 16, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 1:03:44 PM UTC-8, Piet Barber wrote:
Northern Virginia

April to November: 2-3.
November to March 0-1

While on the subject of "Bugs", my SN-10 has a setting for Bugs. Since I have a 2-seater now, the passengers almost always ask me why the flight computer has a setting for bugs.

After looking to the SN-10 manual, I found that it says 0% means no bugs (and I think that's pretty obvious), but I'm not sure what the calibration for bugs should be on the high end. If my wings look black from the crusted guts of smashed bugs, would that be 100% bugs? Would 100% bugs be merely a "fair smattering?" How does one calculate the carnage of bugs as a percentage? Is accurate bug determination for final glide where the art of soaring comes into its element?

The manual actually reads as follows on page 6:
Bugs 0% - The percent degradation of your max L/D is 0% (no bugs or rain)..

So 100% degradation of your L/D would be 1/infinity (or maybe division by zero). Your glider would fly as well as a dead bug. BTW, I use bugs to correct my polar from "ideal" to "actual", around 6% bugs for my situation. Using SeeYou, fly in dead air. Adjust bugs until you are not gaining or loosing on your final glide.

Old February 3rd 16, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
firsys
external usenet poster

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 6:10:52 PM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:
Recently NASA did a study on coatings for wings that was supposed to shed bugs. A Google search for a US map of flying insect density returns nothing useful.
Please post your experienced Bug density according to the following scale and what state this data is for. I will summarize the results in a map of the US if I get enough data.

0 - never saw a bug splat on my glider
1 - light, here and there splatters
2 - moderate, a few bugs per foot of wing
3 - heavy, lots of bugs per foot of wing
4 - very heavy, many bugs per inch of wing

You may also note if you have a bug problem only during short "buggy periods" but I am more intersted in what you feel is a season average for your area.
Thanks !

Ottawa ( Ont)
Old February 3rd 16, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

Southwest mountains and deserts: 1.
In Spring, when more rock polishing is required and some of the ground is green: 2.
Shouldn't the scale have a time factor? IE make the 1 a 10 and divide by the number of hours.
Jim

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 6:10:52 PM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:

0 - never saw a bug splat on my glider
1 - light, here and there splatters
3 - heavy, lots of bugs per foot of wing
4 - very heavy, many bugs per inch of wing