USA Double Seater Contest

Old January 21st 04, 09:32 PM
Thomas Knauff

Default USA Double Seater Contest

It looks like the first SSA approved, USA Double Seater Contest will likely
be held at Fredricksburg, Gillespie County Airport, Texas. August 22nd thru
August 28th, 2004. The USA Motorglider Contest will also be held at this
time.

Details are not complete, however, the contest will essentially duplicate
the very popular format used in Europe.

It will be a handicapped contest, no water ballast allowed, and the gliders
will be limited to a maximium 20 meter span. Gliders of less performance
(Grob 103 etc.) will be welcome, however very low performing two place
gliders will not be permitted.

You are encouraged to sign up for my newsletter at www.eglider.org as this
is the easiest manner to comunicate with those interested.

Tom Knauff

Old January 22nd 04, 02:21 AM
cloud nine

Would it be okay if Dave Stevenson came with a Ka-7 or Schweizer 2-22
since it's Texas!?
Food for Thought (ha ha)

link.net...

Old January 22nd 04, 04:34 PM
JJ Sinclair

Can I bring my ASH-25 (26.5)
No? This is discrimination by a "span-challenged" group.
JJ Sinclair
Old January 22nd 04, 09:25 PM
Thomas Knauff

The "Double Seater Class" is extremely popular in Europe and it is planned
to follow their concept.

Open class gliders have their class, and there is no practical way for
smaller gliders to be competitive against them.

The idea is similar to the European Club Class rules (also very popular)
where the performace of the gliders is similar so they can compete on an
equal basis with modest handicapped differences.

The new generation 20 meter two place gliders offer terrific opportunities
to introduce new people to competition soaring. Imagine a 3 person team
where each takes a turn crewing while the other two fly.

I am guessing we will see 20 or so gliders at this first contest, and the
idea should expand to other contests around the country.

Tom Knauff

Old January 23rd 04, 12:30 AM
Dave Martin

At 20:30 22 January 2004, Thomas Knauff wrote:
The 'Double Seater Class' is extremely popular in Europe
and it is planned to follow their concept.

Open class gliders have their class, and there is no
practical way for smaller gliders to be competitive

against them.

Tom,

I would take issue with this last statement, the UK
Two Seater Competition run by the Wold Glding Club
club accepts entries from any 2 two seater.

The innovative task setting and handicapped scoring
allows gliders of very wide handicaps to compete against
each other.

A low handicap glider completing a medium size task
makes sure the pilots of the high handicaps gliders
work even harder.

It is amazing what some of the pilots can and do produce.

Allowing all two seat gliders to compete also allows
those of more modest means to take part. If necessary
split the field into two. If you start by allowing
them all to enter, see what the take up is and then
decide in following years how to progress.

In the end I suppose it depends on what you want from
the competition.

Dave

Old January 23rd 04, 04:58 PM
Mark James Boyd

JJ Sinclair wrote:
Can I bring my ASH-25 (26.5)
No? This is discrimination by a "span-challenged" group.
JJ Sinclair

JJ,

I've got a hacksaw and some sandpaper if you REALLY
want it...

Old January 23rd 04, 06:41 PM
JJ Sinclair

I've got a hacksaw and some sandpaper if you REALLY
want it...

I just got a "variable" tape measurer form Pete Reinhart. It's calibrated for
15 meters right now, but it can be easily adapted to 20 meters. Just stretch it
out from tip to tip and she reads exactly 20 meters.

Thanks Pete, we plan on enteriny the ASH-25 in 18 meter class at Minden, then
use your tape to prove it's OK.

JJ Sinclair
Old January 24th 04, 12:02 AM
George William Peter Reinhart

JJ,
Did you get the shipment of 15/50 tape?
Cheers!

Mark James Boyd wrote in article
401152af$1@darkstar...

Old January 24th 04, 03:36 PM
JJ Sinclair

JJ,
Did you get the shipment of 15/50 tape?
Cheer

Yes, Pete I got the 15/50 tape measure and thanks a bunch. My son and I are
recalibrating it to 18 meter so that we can enter the ASH-25 in that class.
JJ Sinclair