Brake line design question

Old July 2nd 03, 12:31 PM
Charlie Smith

Default Brake line design question

Jeff,

You may wish to consider Parker Parflex nylon hose. It is available in
several wall thickness at 1/4 inch OD. The hose is UV stabilized so there
is little worry about it becoming brittle after a few years of exposure to
light (you could always paint over it). Minimum purchase lengths for most
1/4 hose is 100 feet. If you buy the 0.035 inch wall hose (1000 psi burst),
that will cost you about $30 for the 100 foot spool.

Parker's catalog for tubing is available on-line at this address:
http://www.parker.com/parflex/images/4660-cd/4660d.pdf

Go to the thermoplastic tubing section and from there select nylon tubing.
Burst pressures range from 1000 to 2000 psi for 1/4 OD tubing depending on
wall thickness.

For fittings, Parker sells a fitting called Compress-Align that works with
this style tubing and has a high use pressure. Info on these are available
on-line at this address:
http://www.parker.com/brassprod/cat/3501_pdf/CA.pdf

Whatever you decide, best of luck,
Charlie Smith

"jeff" wrote in message
thlink.net...
I need to make a decision on what type of brake lines to run in my one off
project. I'm using regular 500-5 wheels & brakes with about a 14' run from
the cylinders on the rudder pedals to the LG. (plane is a tandem 2 seat
pusher) Do I go with aluminum lines and flared fittings or nylaflow like
everyone seems to be doing now? The plane has retracts, so I'll need flex
lines at both ends of the brake lines. Will there be any problem with

nylon
lines of this length? As discussed in an earlier thread on brake fittings,
what diameter line would be best?

Thanks in advance to the wise and powerful group mind.

Jeff Schroeder