The EAA should allow us to use our folding bikes at Airventure

Old June 20th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Sliker

Default The EAA should allow us to use our folding bikes at Airventure

I'm really tired of their stubborness about this issue. Airventure is
the one place a folding bike would be invaluable. But instead, they
insist we walk with no assist over the huge area of the fly-in.
As a result of their turning a deaf ear to requests for change, I'm
not renewing my membership or attending their fly-ins.
SNF is just as stubborn. With the cost of fuel, they are going to have
enough trouble getting an adequate turnout of sport planes at their
gathering in OSH, maybe now is time to turn the screws on them and
pressure them to change so of those draconian rules.
Old June 21st 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave S

Sliker wrote:
I'm really tired of their stubborness about this issue... maybe now is time to turn the screws on them and
pressure them to change so of those draconian rules.

I dont expect them to budge on what they and their insurer likely
consider a safety issue. Good luck with your boycott.

Dave
Old June 21st 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

On Jun 20, 7:16 pm, Dave S wrote:
Sliker wrote:
I'm really tired of their stubborness about this issue... maybe now is time to turn the screws on them and
pressure them to change so of those draconian rules.

I dont expect them to budge on what they and their insurer likely
consider a safety issue. Good luck with your boycott.

Dave

What good would it be to allow them? If your
too tired to walk the grounds how are you
going to peddle a bike and stay up? I don't
think that I want them, but hey, give it a try.
lou
Old June 21st 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wally the Squirrel

When I was at Oshkosh a couple years back it I recall the even the
relatively few 'official' golf cars were at times a problem where traffic
was thick. When you've got that huge mass of walking traffic, of various
ages and paces, having vehicles mixed in (bicycles included) is problematic
and possibly dangerous.

I walked the whole thing and built some impressive blisters, but I don't
mind getting some good excercise every once in a while. If I recall
correctly, don't they also have motorized carts/trams to move people from
one area to another, should they need an assist? I know they do at SNF.

Old June 21st 08, 12:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Blueskies

"Sliker" wrote in message ...
I'm really tired of their stubborness about this issue. Airventure is
the one place a folding bike would be invaluable. But instead, they
insist we walk with no assist over the huge area of the fly-in.
As a result of their turning a deaf ear to requests for change, I'm
not renewing my membership or attending their fly-ins.
SNF is just as stubborn. With the cost of fuel, they are going to have
enough trouble getting an adequate turnout of sport planes at their
gathering in OSH, maybe now is time to turn the screws on them and
pressure them to change so of those draconian rules.

Maybe the redesigned grounds at OSH will allow for bike paths, otherwise I take the trams whenever possible...
Old June 21st 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_7_]

Blueskies wrote:

"Sliker" wrote in message

I'm really tired of their stubborness about this issue. Airventure is
the one place a folding bike would be invaluable. But instead, they
insist we walk with no assist over the huge area of the fly-in. As a
result of their turning a deaf ear to requests for change, I'm
not renewing my membership or attending their fly-ins. SNF is just as
stubborn. With the cost of fuel, they are going to have
enough trouble getting an adequate turnout of sport planes at their
gathering in OSH, maybe now is time to turn the screws on them and
pressure them to change so of those draconian rules.

Maybe the redesigned grounds at OSH will allow for bike paths, otherwise
I take the trams whenever possible...

I agree. Use the trams. There's enough congestion that I think bikes
would just lead to people getting run over. Plus, do you think you
wouldn't be frustrated trying to navigate a bike through the crowd of
pedestrians? It's bad enough WALKING through the crowds. Still, it's
the best gig going and you can certainly protest by not renewing, but
then again, who is being stubborn?

Scott
Old June 21st 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John[_13_]

They do allow bikes in both the plane and rv camping areas and they provide
a large shuttle service inside the main grounds. If your handicapped you
can rent scooters in the main grounds.

get over it.

Old June 21st 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Sliker

The trams are not usually available when you want one, and are a waste
of time waiting for them. I grab one when I see one going in the right
direction, but it's not that often. Or they are full. I'd put a motor
on my bike, so I could get around. And the flight line isn't that
packed with pedestrians, there's more than enough room for a folding
bike. Now I can see why the rules never get changed, as soon as it's
tried, everyone defends anything Poberenzy and crowd want to issue as
law. I've been to a lot of local fly-ins that don't have so many rules
and guess what? it's not a problem with a bike. It's actually been
done succesfully! without incident. Can you imagine? Probably hard for
the dot every i, cross every t, follow every rule to the letter crowd.
Like sheep. I wonder how with attitudes like that, we ever get new
homebuilt designs built.
Old June 21st 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

"Sliker" wrote in message
The trams are not usually available when you want one, and are a waste
of time waiting for them. I grab one when I see one going in the right
direction, but it's not that often. Or they are full. I'd put a motor
on my bike, so I could get around. And the flight line isn't that
packed with pedestrians, there's more than enough room for a folding
bike. Now I can see why the rules never get changed, as soon as it's
tried, everyone defends anything Poberenzy and crowd want to issue as
law. I've been to a lot of local fly-ins that don't have so many rules
and guess what? it's not a problem with a bike. It's actually been
done succesfully! without incident. Can you imagine? Probably hard for
the dot every i, cross every t, follow every rule to the letter crowd.
Like sheep. I wonder how with attitudes like that, we ever get new
homebuilt designs built.

We get new homebuilt designs when someone steps up to the plate and creates
one. The EAA isn't involved, an individual or group of individuals handle
it. Since you raised the subject, how many aircraft have you designed
and/or built?

Going back to the bike issue, as an airplane owner, I don't want anyone from
an airshow crowd riding a bike near my airplane. First, how do we determine
who is gonna be careful and who is gonna run into my airplane? Alternately,
how do we keep someone on a bike from speeding into a spinning prop? Bikes
near a busy flightline are a bad idea.

On the other hand, if you're a pilot or careful person with a bike on a ramp
with low activity, that isn't a problem, but that doesn't exactly describe
Oshkosh, does it?

KB

Old June 21st 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

On Jun 21, 11:29 am, Sliker wrote:
The trams are not usually available when you want one, and are a waste
of time waiting for them. I grab one when I see one going in the right
direction, but it's not that often. Or they are full. I'd put a motor
on my bike, so I could get around. And the flight line isn't that
packed with pedestrians, there's more than enough room for a folding
bike. Now I can see why the rules never get changed, as soon as it's
tried, everyone defends anything Poberenzy and crowd want to issue as
law. I've been to a lot of local fly-ins that don't have so many rules
and guess what? it's not a problem with a bike. It's actually been
done succesfully! without incident. Can you imagine? Probably hard for
the dot every i, cross every t, follow every rule to the letter crowd.
Like sheep. I wonder how with attitudes like that, we ever get new
homebuilt designs built.

Your a moron.

Safety: Planes vs Bikes Charles Talleyrand Piloting 60 August 30th 06 06:03 AM
plane to carry bikes? AINut Home Built 35 January 12th 06 05:47 PM
Folding wings mindenpilot Piloting 46 February 13th 05 04:28 PM
folding bicycle - Cardinal RG Stephen N Mills Owning 3 January 12th 05 06:28 AM
Montague Folding Bikes Mark T. Mueller Owning 10 August 20th 03 02:18 AM