Flare To Land...

Old October 12th 04, 06:01 PM
Mike Kanze

Default Flare To Land...

Pechs will love this one...

The German idiomatic expression approximating the American expression "wimp"
is "sitzpinkler" - literally, one who sits down while urinating.

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/...ves/002271.php

--
Mike Kanze

"John Kerry has promised to take this country back from the wealthy. Who
better than the guy worth $700 million to take the country back? See, he
knows how the wealthy think. He can spy on them at his country club, at his
place in Palm Beach, at his house in the Hamptons. He's like a mole for the
working man."

- Jay Leno

Old October 13th 04, 12:25 AM
Friedrich Ostertag

Hi Mike,

The German idiomatic expression approximating the American expression
"wimp" is "sitzpinkler" - literally, one who sits down while
urinating.

actually, there are many more expressions used in German as synonym for
"wimp"..-:-)

Schattenparker (one who parks his car in the shadow)
Warmduscher (one who uses warm water for showering)
Gelbbremser (brakes at yellow lights)
Frauenversteher (understands women..)

more of this at

http://www.spruecheportal.de/warmduscher.php

regards,

Friedrich

--
for personal email please remove "entfernen" from my adress

Old October 24th 04, 04:02 PM
Pechs1

Mike- Pechs will love this one...

The German idiomatic expression approximating the American expression "wimp"
is "sitzpinkler" - literally, one who sits down while urinating. BRBR

Yer right...'USAF, flare to land, squat to pee'...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old October 28th 04, 07:52 AM
Jim Carriere

WaltBJ wrote:
"You're flying Js; I heard they had real good radar." He replied
"Yeah, it's good all right, until you make 4 or 5 carrier landings
with it." Sort of like tossing your 36 inch TV down the stairs, I
suppose.

For some reason I can't stop laughing about this. The way you put
it, it makes a lot of sense, only the TV is a lot cheaper and it you
don't open it up to work on it on a windy day next to the ocean.

Old October 28th 04, 03:28 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 01:52:59 -0500, Jim Carriere
wrote:

WaltBJ wrote:
"You're flying Js; I heard they had real good radar." He replied
"Yeah, it's good all right, until you make 4 or 5 carrier landings
with it." Sort of like tossing your 36 inch TV down the stairs, I
suppose.

For some reason I can't stop laughing about this. The way you put
it, it makes a lot of sense, only the TV is a lot cheaper and it you
don't open it up to work on it on a windy day next to the ocean.

And, our airplanes are cleaner. And, we don't wear colored T-shirts.
And, after flying we get to sit around and have a couple of beers
(cold!) and don't have to do it lurking in a closet-sized-sleeps-four
stateroom. And, we can leave the water running when we shower.

Plus, our televisions show more than one channel and don't have
continual reruns of aircraft taking off and landing.

We flare because we can.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
Old October 28th 04, 03:41 PM
nafod40

Ed Rasimus wrote:

We flare because we can.

Drifting the topic, while instructing in the Thunder Guppy, for sporting
reasons when landing at an OLF (AKA an Air Force Base) since they had no
OLS, I used to like practicing my deck spotting skills. The goal was to
plunk it down right at the edge of the runway, mains hitting the white
paint, with a good 500 ft/min descent. On departure later you could
check the black marks and see how you did. Not too many skid marks by
the threshold.

The other good one for sporting fun was to do a PEL carrying 140-150 kts
into ground effect, and then see how far you could hold off without
touching before the lifties gave up. When they did, it was dramatic. A
big ol' plop and you were driving a dump truck after that.

Old October 28th 04, 05:18 PM
Jim Carriere

wrote:

WaltBJ wrote:

"You're flying Js; I heard they had real good radar." He replied
"Yeah, it's good all right, until you make 4 or 5 carrier landings
with it." Sort of like tossing your 36 inch TV down the stairs, I
suppose.

For some reason I can't stop laughing about this. The way you put
it, it makes a lot of sense, only the TV is a lot cheaper and it you
don't open it up to work on it on a windy day next to the ocean.

And, our airplanes are cleaner. And, we don't wear colored T-shirts.
And, after flying we get to sit around and have a couple of beers
(cold!) and don't have to do it lurking in a closet-sized-sleeps-four
stateroom. And, we can leave the water running when we shower.

Plus, our televisions show more than one channel and don't have
continual reruns of aircraft taking off and landing.

We flare because we can.

Come on, not all this is entirely fair. The Navy might have colored
T-shirts, but the Air Force has those fashionable ascots instead.
Sometimes there is near-beer night on the ship, and if you're out
enough days in a row you can have one or sometimes two real beers.
The "shoes" make great efforts to conserve water so the aviators can
take long "hollywood" showers. And site TV has at least two channels
nowadays, sometimes even a with AFN satellite getting reception for
about five seconds each minute.

Old October 28th 04, 06:15 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:18:39 -0500, Jim Carriere
wrote:

Come on, not all this is entirely fair. The Navy might have colored
T-shirts, but the Air Force has those fashionable ascots instead.
Sometimes there is near-beer night on the ship, and if you're out
enough days in a row you can have one or sometimes two real beers.
The "shoes" make great efforts to conserve water so the aviators can
take long "hollywood" showers. And site TV has at least two channels
nowadays, sometimes even a with AFN satellite getting reception for
about five seconds each minute.

Actually in 23 years in the tactical community I never wore an
ascot--not even once. I did have a scarf in several squadrons, but it
was simply draped around the neck (and not outside the collar)--added
a dashing, devil-may-care touch when talking up the
fighter-pilot-groupies at the club after a hard day of flaring.

Four days on Forrestal in the Med was enough for me. Once I realized I
was beginning to understand those up/down/fore/aft numbers on the
passageways, I made my getaway before I was infected hopelessly. The
COD dumped me unceremoniously on the ramp at Palma de Mallorca--there
are worse places to be dumped!

Thanks to the Rippers for a great time!

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)