PDA GPS software Which one??

Old November 8th 05, 10:49 PM
Kevin Black

Default PDA GPS software Which one??

Hi,

Firstly I'm in Australia and VFR. I have a Garmin III Pilot, but am also
about to purchase an iPaq PDA. Rather than upgrade to a colour GARMIN
(296/396) at megabucks I thought I could get similar functionality using
the PDA. Costings seem to be PDA nil (it's a sunk cost I'm going to buy
it anyway), Bluetooth GPS AUS$100 or so on e-bay, and the software
(Anywhere map special US$95 and NavGPS US$290).

The Anywheremap seems the standout bargain, at current exchange rates
I'm looking at about an all up cost of AUS$232 for software and GPS.

I'm e-mailing both companies with these questions, but I'm pretty darned
sure they will recommend their own product. For those that have used
either or both (and compared to say a G296):

1. Which of these two would you buy, and why?
2. Functionality compared to Garmin's offering?
3. Ease of use compared to Garmin?
4. Base mapping (Garmin has the intl Pacific Base map for Aus). The
Jepp DB has all of the avaiation info including control zones etc etc.
Do these systems have at least the same info depicted?
5. Updates - If I don't update the Garmin it still works with the 'old'
database. Do these keep functioning without updating the database. I
have no real reason to update more than once a year or so?
6. Any other advice much appreciated....

reply to group or kevinblack at bigblue dot net dot au.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old November 8th 05, 11:05 PM
MC

Kevin Black wrote:

[...]

Try PocketFMS.
It's donationware and works well on most PDA's.
Downside is that it uses NIMA for the base-data which means
that Oz is not totally covered/accurate. (a recently introduced
system for users to update information in their local area from
the ERSA/etc is gradually improving that though)
Old November 9th 05, 12:20 AM
newsgroups.comcast.net

Anywheremap is a great product, IMO, --- BUT --- , I would not recommend
it for anyone outside of the USofA right now. They don't really have any
kind of data, outside of the USofA, and they don't update data (in years)
outside of the USofA.

Old November 9th 05, 01:12 AM

Great prog see: http://www.pocketfms.com/

Old November 9th 05, 01:44 AM
Michelle P

NAV GPS Pro has coverage for Australia.
http://www.flynavgps.com/downloadavdata.shtml
I use it in Conjunction with the PC/EFIS in North America and it works
fine...
Michelle

Old November 9th 05, 02:13 AM
Jonathan Goodish

In article
,
Kevin Black wrote:
Firstly I'm in Australia and VFR. I have a Garmin III Pilot, but am also
about to purchase an iPaq PDA. Rather than upgrade to a colour GARMIN
(296/396) at megabucks I thought I could get similar functionality using
the PDA. Costings seem to be PDA nil (it's a sunk cost I'm going to buy
it anyway), Bluetooth GPS AUS$100 or so on e-bay, and the software
(Anywhere map special US$95 and NavGPS US$290).

You may save some bucks with a PDA-based system, but you will give up
the reliability and accuracy of a purpose-built unit.

As far as I know, most of the PDA-based systems are geared toward the
domestic U.S. market, and I'm not aware of any of the PDA software
vendors who use the Jepp navigation database. In my experience, even
the domestic U.S. data from these companies is fraught with errors and
inaccuracies, so I can't imagine that foreign data would be any better.

A PDA or TabletPC-based system may be a great way to go for backup, but
I wouldn't want to rely on it for anything--ever.

JKG
Old November 9th 05, 03:59 AM
John T

"Kevin Black" wrote in message

1. Which of these two would you buy, and why?

I bought AnywherMap for much the same reasons as you listed. I use a PDA
regularly outside the cockpit so the "dual-use" aspect was appealing.

2. Functionality compared to Garmin's offering?

Compared to the Garmin handhelds I've been able to get side-by-side, I'm
pleased with my purchase. The Garmin units do offer good performance and
are purpose-built so conflicts with other apps is a non-issue (read
"reliability"). However, I don't recall a problem with AnywhereMap in
flight and the screen of my iPAQ 3955 (now hx4700) is superior to those of
the Garmin handhelds I've had up close. However, the new 296 is intriquing
and I've not yet had it side-by-side with AnywhereMap.

3. Ease of use compared to Garmin?

This is a matter of pure opinion. My experience is the PDA screen is usable
in flight. However, I have yet to fly in anything but mild- to light
turbulence. With that in mind, my preference is for the PDA interface.
Having to use the buttons and rockers on the Garmins is not as efficient in
my opinion.

4. Base mapping (Garmin has the intl Pacific Base map for Aus). The
Jepp DB has all of the avaiation info including control zones etc etc.
Do these systems have at least the same info depicted?

This is where other systems can really outshine AnywhereMap. The latest AWM
database for Australia appears to be dated June 2001. That *may* be
sufficient for VFR use, but then again, it *is* very old and is unlikely to
be updated.

5. Updates - If I don't update the Garmin it still works with the 'old'
database. Do these keep functioning without updating the database. I
have no real reason to update more than once a year or so?

Yes, AnywhereMap will function with an outdated database.

Others have mentioned alternative solutions that may work just as well for
your needs.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old November 9th 05, 04:44 AM
Paul kgyy

I find the touchpad processing on the AWmap to be easier to use than
the Garmin handheld. It's not bad in turbulence, either - with
Bluetooth GPS you can pull the PDA out of its holder and just run it on
battery power to review airport diagrams, etc.

The resolution is much better than Garmin's, and the dual use is a
treat.

Old November 9th 05, 06:39 AM
Mitchell Schaeffer

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I find the touchpad processing on the AWmap to be easier to use than
the Garmin handheld. It's not bad in turbulence, either - with
Bluetooth GPS you can pull the PDA out of its holder and just run it on
battery power to review airport diagrams, etc.

The resolution is much better than Garmin's, and the dual use is a
treat.

This is a good site to review different programs
www.palmflying.com
It includes pocket P.C programs

Mitchell

Old November 9th 05, 06:55 AM
Morgans

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote

A PDA or TabletPC-based system may be a great way to go for backup, but
I wouldn't want to rely on it for anything--ever.

I always thought portable GPS's were for backup, and just another tool in
the pilot's bag of tricks!
--
Jim in NC