Jepp checklist: How did you do?

Old November 8th 04, 02:03 PM
Peter R.

Default Jepp checklist: How did you do?

This is my second year using the Jepp paper approach plates and
performing the tedious year-end checklist for my Northeast US
subscription. The first year I needed exactly 40 sheets sent (their
limit for my region), do mostly to my filing mistakes throughout the
year.

As a goal, I vowed to do better this year. As a result, I needed only
one sheet sent to replace an outdated procedure. I did discover three
cases where I accidently left the outdated procedure in the binder, but
the new one was there. It looks like I have a career as a filing clerk.

To take advantage of this yearly replacement service, I decided to have
Jepp replace all of my low altitude en route charts, since these charts
were all tired.

Recalling the article in this month's IFR, I am curious: Does anyone
else even do the checklists?

--
Peter

Old November 8th 04, 02:54 PM
Daniel L. Lieberman

Peter,

Yes, I also use the opportunity to replace/duplicate charts so I am free to
write on them. I have Jeppview III so I suspect ultimately I may not bother
since I can easily reprint everything anyways.

Daniel

Old November 8th 04, 04:48 PM
Marco Leon

I did pretty well the first year. My only mistake was leaving an old chart
in behind the new one. Like you, I used the opportunity to replace the
enroute charts with my "40 free" card. I wish Jeppesen had an online running
checklist for each state so we could spot check at our leisure.

Marco Leon
N36616

Old November 8th 04, 05:45 PM
Peter R.

Peter R. ) wrote:

do mostly to my filing mistakes throughout the
year.

Do? Due to my carelessness, I really do need to proof-read more
closely.

--
Peter

Old November 8th 04, 05:47 PM
Peter R.

("Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com) wrote:

I wish Jeppesen had an online running
checklist for each state so we could spot check at our leisure.

I agree. The article in this month's IFR mentioned that Jeppesen is
working on this, but apparently it is a low-priority project with no
public go-live date - the product of a lack of competition, no doubt.

--
Peter

Old November 8th 04, 07:05 PM
Jon Woellhaf

Peter asked, "Does anyone else even do the [Jeppesen] checklists?"

I do, but I don't enjoy it.

When posting a revision, I remove the old page and place it face down on a
pile. Then I insert the new page. When I'm done, I turn over the pile of old
pages, match them to the revision letter, and throw them away one by one.
When I find a page that's not on the revision letter, I know I've made a
mistake.

Jon

Old November 9th 04, 12:50 AM
Roger

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 09:03:02 -0500, Peter R.
wrote:

This is my second year using the Jepp paper approach plates and
performing the tedious year-end checklist for my Northeast US
subscription. The first year I needed exactly 40 sheets sent (their
limit for my region), do mostly to my filing mistakes throughout the
year.

As a goal, I vowed to do better this year. As a result, I needed only
one sheet sent to replace an outdated procedure. I did discover three
cases where I accidently left the outdated procedure in the binder, but
the new one was there. It looks like I have a career as a filing clerk.

To take advantage of this yearly replacement service, I decided to have
Jepp replace all of my low altitude en route charts, since these charts
were all tired.

Recalling the article in this month's IFR, I am curious: Does anyone
else even do the checklists?

I've subscribed for something like 5 years or so and have never come
up short. OTOH I got tired of the incessant updating and went back to
the NOS charts where I just purchase the book(s) I need and rarely
have to worry about updating them.

The Jepp updates would be fine for a PDA or lap top, but they aren't
for me in the paper form. Then again, when it comes to electronic
format there are charts available for a fair amount less than the
Jepps.

They are good charts and I never had a complaint, but when I looked at
how many hours it takes to keep my books updated, I quit.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old November 9th 04, 01:43 AM
vincent p. norris

Switch to Air Charts. Been using them for about 30 years, with great
satisfaction.

vince norris