But seriously - new engine

Old October 11th 05, 06:41 AM
Montblack

("Bryan Martin" wrote)
So who says you need to take all your training for Sport Pilot in
Light Sport Aircraft? You only need time in a LSA to get signed off for
that
type of LSA and to take the practical. Most of the training could be taken
in those single engine Cessnas. You will need to find a LSA to fly after
you
get your certificate.

I'm fuzzy here. Solo in a Cessna 172 without a medical?

Montblack

Old October 11th 05, 11:53 AM
Chris Wells Chris Wells is offline
Senior Member

What is your area Chris?

I live in southern New Hampshire. I've been travelling as far as Wiscasset, Maine to save money.
Old October 11th 05, 08:16 PM

Montblack wrote:
wrote)
A little birdie whispered in my ear that the weight limit for
FAR 103 will be raised to 330 lbs in about a year.

400 lb single seater would be better - which would include 'safety
equipment' weight. Floats would get extra lbs.

...and 10 gallons of fuel.
.....and no upper end speed limit.

If they're going to fix 103, let's fix it right.

The FAR 103 limits are set to minimize risk to bystanders
in an UL accident.

The limit on fuel, arbitrary though it may be is very
unlikely to be changed as increasing it obviously increases
the potential severity of a fire resulting from a crash.

The upper speed and weight limits, together, limit the
energy in a crash and of the two the speed limit is the
more important. However, though I haven't seen statistics
on it, UL accidents involving a collison at maximum
horizontal speed seem uncommon. The more typical
accident is a forced landing (near stall speed) due
to engine failure. Accidents resulting from structural
failure will typically result in the aircraft falling
from the sky at most at terminal velocity in free fall,
not a kamikazee type dive to impact. So even though
raising the speed limit would make ULS inherently more
risky to the public one would expect only a minimal
opportunity for that risk to be realized.

Of the FAR 103 restrictions the one I would most like to
see relaxed is the upper speed limit. That could give
ULs some limited practicality for cross country flight.
Consider the moni motorglider, barely over the FAR
103 weight limit but with a cruising speed up to 120 mph.

Now, the moni has its problems but it showed that a plane
within the weight limits of FAR 103 could have real cross
country speed.

Without an upper limit on speed, you could have UL pylon
races. What a blast! Actually, you could have a rule
limiting prop pitch since a rule limiting speed per se
would not be practical.

--

FF

Old October 22nd 05, 08:39 PM
George Eberhardt

Default But seriously - new engine

"Bryan Martin" wrote in message
Correction, you will need to find an LSA by the time you solo.

I just started looking and cannot find any LSA aircraft or qualified
instructors in central NJ. I was thinking about getting my SP first, and
then transitioning to Experimental after I have a few hours in the LSA.
Still looking.

--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

Old October 22nd 05, 09:04 PM
Richard Lamb

330 would do very nicely, thank you very much!
Electric start and brakes even!

What did the little birdie say might be the motivation for this
gracious action on behalf of the Friendly Aviation Agency?

Do the fat ultralights represent that much of an economic
or political impact on our economy?

Hey, they are about the only thing that _is_ manufactured here
anymore...

Richard