VOR Dual Check

Old September 23rd 04, 05:12 AM
Jerry Kaidor

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message om...

Yeah, it's also the abysmal typography of many of the FAR publishers. If
they indented the paragraphs, it would be clearer.

*** I think if they indented the FARs, the books would have to be really wide.

- Jerry Kaidor ( )
Old September 23rd 04, 01:53 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jerry Kaidor" wrote in message om...
"Ron Natalie" wrote in message om...

Yeah, it's also the abysmal typography of many of the FAR publishers. If
they indented the paragraphs, it would be clearer.

*** I think if they indented the FARs, the books would have to be really wide.

Not really. There's rarely more than two levels underneath the section.
The maximum I know of is 4, and even that's not unwieldy. Federal
rules limit it to six divisions (a)(1)(i)(A)(1)(italic-i). I've had FAR books typeset
with indent before. A normal pilot's Part 1/61/91 set isn't much bigger done
nicely (with an index even). My Summit CD's are also indented
that way.

Old September 23rd 04, 10:01 PM
Derek Fage

I've just finished watching Volume 7 of Sportys Instrument Rating DVD course
and in it they covered VOR test requirments and said that the dual VOR check
could be done either in the air or on the ground.

Derek...

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 07:32:41 -0500, "SFM" wrote:

The in flight controversy comes from section 4 of 91.171 which is
highlighted below. The only time the Dual Check is mentioned it is
preceded
by 'While in flight'

Yeah but that "while in flight" is in a different paragraph than the dual
VOR check. And it is in the paragraph that the dual VOR check is
specifically in place of.

Para (b)
1
2
3
4
Para (c)

--ron

Old September 26th 04, 08:34 PM
Matt Whiting

SFM wrote:

Does a dual check of the VORs for use in instrument flight only count if it
has been done while in flight? Or if you do it on the ground (document it)
is that meet the FARs?

We had a fairly heated hanger discussion about this and I would like to hear
some more opinions.

Scott

I do mine on the ground typically. I don't know of any requirement in
the FAR that it be an airborne check when comparing VOR to VOR.

Matt