Right seat flying

Old May 4th 04, 02:20 AM
Teacherjh

I've read enough stories about FAA
actions and NTSB appeals to know that logic seems often absent in these
proceedings.

Then applying logic (or any other kind of reasoning for that matter) to this
question is also pointless.

Jose

Old May 4th 04, 11:55 PM
Matt Whiting

Teacherjh wrote:
I've read enough stories about FAA
actions and NTSB appeals to know that logic seems often absent in these
proceedings.

Then applying logic (or any other kind of reasoning for that matter) to this
question is also pointless.

That is why I initially was trying to find an FAR related to it
mattering which seat you were in! :-)

Matt

Old May 5th 04, 03:52 AM
David Rind

Matt Whiting wrote:
The FAA isn't always logical. I got a third email from Amy and she said
an acquaintance of hers was a student pilot and went up with another
pilot (not an instructor) and was flying in the left seat. The FAA
caught wind of this and made the claim that the student was acting as
PIC because they were the sole manipulator of the controls and was
seated in the left seat which is traditionally the seat occupied by the
PIC. Since another person was in the airplane at the time, the student
lost their certificate for 120 days for carrying a passenger illegally.

She said this was challenged and was upheld in court. I don't know all
the details and am not going to send Amy a 4th email, but I have no
reason to doubt what she's saying. I've read enough stories about FAA
actions and NTSB appeals to know that logic seems often absent in these
proceedings.

Matt

The notion that a student pilot can't handle the controls
from the left seat, but an unrated passenger can seems
beyond even FAA illogic. Similarly, the notion that
it would be okay if the student were in the right seat, but
a problem from the left seat seems completely crazy.

You could construct scenarios in which I could imagine them
going after a student, though. I suppose if a student owned
a tailwheel plane and was signed off to fly it, and asked me
to go up for a ride, given that I am not capable of being PIC
for that plane, its possible the FAA might go after the student
for carrying a passenger. And since there would be no legal
PIC on the plane, I guess the FAA might decide that given that
the student was the sole manipulator of the controls and sitting
in the "typical" PIC seat that they would go after the student's
license rather than mine.

I'm going to guess that it was some scenario of this sort where
there was no legal PIC despite a pilot and a student pilot being
in the plane, and they used the seat position plus who was
handling the controls to decide who to prosecute. If so, that's
very different from "you can't allow a student pilot to fly
from the left seat if you are not a CFI."

--
David Rind

Old May 5th 04, 02:05 PM
David Megginson

David Rind wrote:

The notion that a student pilot can't handle the controls
from the left seat, but an unrated passenger can seems
beyond even FAA illogic. Similarly, the notion that
it would be okay if the student were in the right seat, but
a problem from the left seat seems completely crazy.

My guess is that this was just part of a collection of evidence trying to
establish the pilot's intent. I know nothing about this particular case,
but let's assume that you have the following:

1. There are two people in the plane.
2. The student pilot owns the plane.
3. The other occupant is a licensed private pilot, but not an instructor.
4. The other occupant's logbook shows that he has never been PIC of this
plane before.
5. The other occupant is not on the insurance for the plane.

Now, imagine that you're an investigator, and your job is to decide the
student pilot's actual intent. Obviously, there's nothing illegal about
flying from the right seat, but when you put that together with the other
evidence, it might be enough to convince you that the student pilot was, in
fact, intending to fly as PIC in the left seat.

This is purely hypothetical, of course, since I don't know the details of
the actual case, but if something like this did happen, it would be a gross
overreaction to say that the FAA had ruled that flying from the right seat
was illegal. It's similar to a case where an accused burgler was seen
driving slowly past your house the day before a robbery -- there's nothing
illegal about driving slowly past a house, but together with other evidence
(such as fingerprints, lack of alibi, or possession of some stolen
property), it can help to convince a judge or jury that the accused person
is actually guilty.

All the best,

David
Old May 7th 04, 04:10 AM
Rich Ahrens

Bob Moore wrote in message .8...

(running with scissors) wrote

you may be able to find a loophole in the FAR's, renters policy or
insurance requirements to allow you to do this "legally", though even
posing the question indicates a complete failure to understand CRM and
lack of professionalism. if i found one of my pilots acting in this
manner he would never be in one of my cockpits again forthwith.

As if your posting name didn't say enough about you, your entire post
says that you are either very inexperienced or lacking in confidence
in yourself and other pilots. It's been years since I have flown from
the left seat of a general aviation aircraft. A few years back when I
was flying 12-13 year old "Young Eagles", I never sat in the left seat,
and as a matter-of-fact, very seldom touched the controls.

The CFI who did my last Flight Review was amused when I flew the entire
flight including the instrument portion from the right seat of a C-172.

Bob Moore

you are missing the whole point of the post. the original poster
stated that it was sightseeing flight and it was a passenger, zero
experience, who would be in the left seat and the poster was not a
rated instructor.

Leaving aside the fact that the original poster made no such statement,
what do you suppose those Young Eagle flights were if not sightseeing?

quote

From: Anthony Acri )
Subject: Right Seat Flying

Date: 2001-12-11 03:21:43 PST

Does anybody know if there is any regulations about flying from the right
seat? Would like to flyi from the right seat while taking some people up
for sightseeing. Have been flying from the right when I have been doing my
instructors courses.

Thanks

end quote

Christ, you're getting as pigheaded or intellectually dishonest as
Tarver. Or both. Your quote is neither the original poster nor the
original post. That was:

Old May 7th 04, 11:30 PM
C J Campbell

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
This isn't an IFR related question, but I don't see an r.a group devoted
to instruction.

r.a student devotes a considerable amount of discussion to instruction.

Many aircraft have a limitation prohibiting flying from the right seat with
a non-pilot or no pilot at the controls in the left seat unless you are
using the aircraft for instruction. You will find it in the POH or in the
type certification. It would be illegal to fly such an aircraft from the
right seat.

I don't have the manual in front of me, but I *think* this is even true of
the newer Cessna Skyhawks. I will have to check.

Anyway, many aircraft rental outfits also prohibit it.

Part 135 also has this to say (although this prohibition applies equally
well to any pilot seat):

§ 135.113 Passenger occupancy of pilot seat.
top
No certificate holder may operate an aircraft type certificated after
October 15, 1971, that has a passenger seating configuration, excluding any
pilot seat, of more than eight seats if any person other than the pilot in
command, a second in command, a company check airman, or an authorized
representative of the Administrator, the National Transportation Safety
Board, or the United States Postal Service occupies a pilot seat.

§ 135.115 Manipulation of controls.
top
No pilot in command may allow any person to manipulate the flight controls
of an aircraft during flight conducted under this part, nor may any person
manipulate the controls during such flight unless that person is-

(a) A pilot employed by the certificate holder and qualified in the
aircraft; or

(b) An authorized safety representative of the Administrator who has the
permission of the pilot in command, is qualified in the aircraft, and is
checking flight operations.

Attached Images
File Type: gif ret-arrow-generic-grey.gif (142 Bytes, 119 views)
Old May 8th 04, 02:15 AM
David Megginson

C J Campbell wrote:

Many aircraft have a limitation prohibiting flying from the right seat with
a non-pilot or no pilot at the controls in the left seat unless you are
using the aircraft for instruction. You will find it in the POH or in the
type certification. It would be illegal to fly such an aircraft from the
right seat.

I don't have the manual in front of me, but I *think* this is even true of
the newer Cessna Skyhawks. I will have to check.

I checked the Limitations sections for the Cessna 172P, 172R, 182P, and
PA-28-161 -- none of them has an limitations concerning the right seat. The
only seat-related limitation is that the rear seats have to be empty for
operation in utility category. I also don't remember any seat limitation in
the TCDS for the 172 or the PA28, or in the insurance policy for my Warrior.

I'm not about to rush out and try it, though, at least not without an
instructor in the left seat (at least the first few times).

All the best,

DAvid
Old May 8th 04, 11:49 AM

"C J Campbell" wrote:

Many aircraft have a limitation prohibiting flying from the right seat with
a non-pilot or no pilot at the controls in the left seat unless you are
using the aircraft for instruction

Really, which ones????????? What is your source for this information.
Or are you just an ABM?

And 135 does not apply here.
Old May 8th 04, 11:36 PM
C J Campbell

wrote in message
"C J Campbell" wrote:

Many aircraft have a limitation prohibiting flying from the right seat

with
a non-pilot or no pilot at the controls in the left seat unless you are
using the aircraft for instruction

Really, which ones????????? What is your source for this information.

Well, the manual for the Cessna 208 has this to say on page 2-12:

Flight Crew Limits

One pilot required in left seat.

I am fairly sure I have seen similar language in some other manuals.

Or are you just an ABM?

I don't know ABM, unless you mean anti-ballistic missile. Perhaps you have
much more reason to be familiar with the term than have I.

And 135 does not apply here.

It may be what the person who wrote the article in the Aviators Guide might
have been thinking of.

The National Lake Eutrophication Survey 1971-1973 Badwater Bill Home Built 18 June 16th 04 02:27 AM
Seat cushion Ernest Christley Home Built 14 August 5th 03 07:16 PM
Seat cushions Big John Home Built 3 July 31st 03 10:59 PM
seeking info from NW Ontario/ Upper Midwest Pilots flying intoAtikokan David Megginson Instrument Flight Rules 0 July 9th 03 03:04 PM