Angel Flight Down

Old June 13th 08, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Angel Flight Down

On Jun 12, 11:04*am, "JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote:
wrote:

I will bet five bucks the pilot will claim he remembers nothing of the
whole event..

* Nothing unusual about that. *A good bang on the head will often result in
some memory loss.

* When I crashed my Cessna, it took several days before I could remember
events leading up to the engine failure and emergecy landing. *I still have
no memory of the actual accident. *

* It's not like I needed to conveniently "not remember" events for the NTSB
or FAA investigators. *They both gave me pats on the back for making the best
of a bad situation.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Just after I hit the send button I remembered I didn't add the smilie
thing.. :).. my comment was in jest.

Ben
Old June 14th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

wrote in message
On Jun 5, 8:23 am, wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:04 am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

Here in Iowa City. One person -- the child being transported for medical
care -- perished. Read more he http://tinyurl.com/6dxct8

It's too soon to say for sure, but it appears the pilot attempted to
depart
into stormy weather, apparently with a gusty tail wind. It rained
extremely
hard here right before we heard the sirens, and the AWOS history
indicates a
dramatic wind shift.

A TBM-850 is a very capable turboprop aircraft, and it was being flown
by a
very experienced Angel Flight (like, 57 flights) pilot. Using the
aircraft's POH and the AWOS history, another pilot has determined that
the
TBM would've needed something like 4200 feet to get airborne, given the
tailwind. Unfortunately, Rwy 30 is only 3900 feet long.

The article reports that the crash was "shortly before 10:08
a.m." (CDT). Wind at that time was 10023G36. If the pilot took off
from runway 30 with that kind of tailwind, it's no wonder he crashed.

The reported address of the crash site is just off the departure end
of runway 30 (map:http://tinyurl.com/6coeyb). But nothing in the
article says the departure was from runway 30. Perhaps the pilot took
off from runway 12, had partial engine failure, and tried to circle
back to land. (There are survivors, including the pilot, so we'll
probably find out.)

METARs (http://tinyurl.com/69psdj):

METAR KIOW 031452Z AUTO 10025G31KT 2 1/2SM RA BR FEW007 BKN026 OVC034
14/14 A2957 RMK AO2 PK WND 11031/1452 TSE19 PRESFR SLP010 P0042 60202
T01440139 58015

SPECI KIOW 031504Z AUTO 10023G36KT 5SM -RA BR BKN021 14/14 A2951 RMK
AO2 PK WND 10036/1503 LTG DSNT NE AND SE PRESFR P0001

SPECI KIOW 031512Z AUTO 09023G36KT 7SM SCT025 14/14 A2945 RMK AO2 PK
WND 10036/1507 LTG DSNT E RAE12 PRESFR P0001

I will bet five bucks the pilot will claim he remembers nothing of the
whole event..

Ben.
I went head on with another motorcycle I cant remember it. I think I lost
about 30 seconds before the hit also.

Old June 15th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 14, 7:32*am, "aluckyguess" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jun 5, 8:23 am, wrote:

[...]

about 30 seconds before the hit also.- Hide quoted text -

Ya. I admit the loss of memory thing. I have crashed hydroplanes more
then once at over 100 mph, gone down while motocrossing more then I
will admit, been hit while riding a 10 speed by a car going 65+. I do
remember hearing the headlight breaking, or was it the
windshield, :(. nothing after that till they were loading me up in
the meat wagon. So. yeah the rung your bell concept is real, been
there, done that. One thing also, the mother of the kid was on that
flight too, she survived. There is a high probability she, read her
attorney,, will be able to coax her memory as to why this guy took off
in 30+ mph tailwinds. Stay tuned for higher insurance rates...

Rant over and flame suit on.

Angel Flight Wizard of Draws Piloting 7 November 14th 06 03:08 PM
First Angel Flight Jack Allison Piloting 17 June 16th 06 11:55 PM
Angel Flight George Piloting 53 January 30th 06 01:24 AM
New Angel Flight NE Reqs Marco Leon Piloting 17 January 23rd 06 12:24 AM
Angel Flight Steven Barnes Piloting 3 September 24th 04 02:58 PM