Life insurance & flying

Old July 13th 05, 05:57 PM
Stubby

Default Life insurance & flying

If you have a family that relies on you for financial security, you need
life insurance. However, many policies do not cover death caused by
small planes. Check your policies!
Old July 13th 05, 08:20 PM
Ross Richardson

PIC Insurance...

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

Old July 14th 05, 03:14 AM
George Patterson

Stubby wrote:

However, many policies do not cover death caused by
small planes.

Not true. Many policies contain an exclusion for people serving as *crew
members* on aircraft (and the usual wording is "aircraft", which includes a
747), but few contain clauses about "small planes." I've only personally seen
three policies, but they all had the same clause.

Basically, what that means is that if two people die in a Cessna 150 crash, the
passenger's policy would pay off and the pilot's policy would not. Pilots should
arrange for coverage -- AOPA has made this easy to get.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old July 14th 05, 03:39 PM

I specifically asked my agent (a long time friend) about this. I am
covered unless I am doing something illegal while in the plane (i.e.
running drugs, evading law enforcement, etc.). There was a 2 year
exclusion at the begining of the policy for flying, scuba diving etc.
but once that 2 year mark was passed, I was covered.

The only way to be sure is check your policy. Some do and some don't.

John S.
22.5 hour solo student

Old July 15th 05, 01:28 AM
Carl Orton

Pretty much the same for me.

The last time I applied for insurance, I had a PPL, but was dormant for many
years. I stated that fact at time of application.

Once I regained currency, I called my agent AND the insurance company
itself. They both said that because I had the policy before I resumed
flying, they would cover my death if I were piloting an aircraft.

ups.com...

Old July 16th 05, 04:41 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

I had an agent tell me that it mattered when you applied. i.e. Are you a
pilot, diver (etc.) Then they rate you. As long as no exclusions exist &
you bought the policy before you started flying, you're golden. Having
said(?) that, he told me they liked pilots as customers because they where
generally a healthier bunch and got physicals annually or bi-annually.

FWIW, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.
ups.com...

Old July 16th 05, 02:34 PM
Stubby

The issue came up for me years ago when I was invited to fly cross
country on a corporate jet. I asked my insurance company and they
responded that I would be covered only if I were flying on a scheduled
airline flight.

Victor J. Osborne, Jr. wrote:

I had an agent tell me that it mattered when you applied. i.e. Are you a
pilot, diver (etc.) Then they rate you. As long as no exclusions exist &
you bought the policy before you started flying, you're golden. Having
said(?) that, he told me they liked pilots as customers because they where
generally a healthier bunch and got physicals annually or bi-annually.

FWIW, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.
wrote in message
ups.com...

I specifically asked my agent (a long time friend) about this. I am
covered unless I am doing something illegal while in the plane (i.e.
running drugs, evading law enforcement, etc.). There was a 2 year
exclusion at the begining of the policy for flying, scuba diving etc.
but once that 2 year mark was passed, I was covered.

The only way to be sure is check your policy. Some do and some don't.

John S.
22.5 hour solo student

Insurance requirements out of hand? - AOPA high perf retractable for Flying Clubs [email protected] Owning 0 February 16th 05 01:02 AM
Possibly the stupidest idea ever... Paul Tomblin Piloting 27 August 25th 04 02:49 PM
Life insurance DJA Soaring 4 November 25th 03 09:25 AM
Wife agrees to go flying Corky Scott Piloting 29 October 2nd 03 06:55 PM