AOPA life insurance

Old June 10th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

Default AOPA life insurance

Has anyone purchased the term life from aopa?
I was wondering how well or satisfied anyone is
with them. I've checked out regular insurance and
they charge the heck out of you for being a pilot.
lou
Old June 11th 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Lou" wrote in message
Has anyone purchased the term life from aopa?
I was wondering how well or satisfied anyone is
with them. I've checked out regular insurance and
they charge the heck out of you for being a pilot.

There is no free lunch. Wherever you buy life insurance, the cost of your
aviating will be priced in (if aviation is covered in the policy). Some
companies will conveniently hide the cost rather than listing it separately, but
it will be in there. I am in the process of pricing term coverage from AOPA's
carrier and a couple others since I am retiring and losing the coverage from my
employer.

The process won't be over until they all literally get a taste of my blood,
but so far these folks http://www.piclife.com/ have been very helpful and seem
to have the best preliminary rates. They will all want some very detailed
information on your licensing, hours, past accident history, and planned
aviation activity.

Vaughn

Old June 11th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

On Jun 10, 6:42 pm, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

Has anyone purchased the term life from aopa?
I was wondering how well or satisfied anyone is
with them. I've checked out regular insurance and
they charge the heck out of you for being a pilot.

There is no free lunch. Wherever you buy life insurance, the cost of your
aviating will be priced in (if aviation is covered in the policy). Some
companies will conveniently hide the cost rather than listing it separately, but
it will be in there. I am in the process of pricing term coverage from AOPA's
carrier and a couple others since I am retiring and losing the coverage from my
employer.

Well, I'm not looking for a free lunch but the preliminary quotes seem
to be half
of state farm and allstate and I'm wondering why.
Lou

Old June 11th 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 10, 5:18*pm, Lou wrote:

Well, I'm not looking for a free lunch but the preliminary quotes seem
to be half
of state farm and allstate and I'm wondering why.

AOPA doesn't sell insurance but they use Minesotta life. I applied
with them. As always the original quote was lower than the final once
they run your numbers (and I'm still young, nonsmoker, etc). You don't
necessarily ever pay more for being a private pilot (with any life
insurance). What they do is put you in one of usually 5 buckets. Lots
of factors affect which bucket you are in but flying can affect it.
However, flying (on its own) has never affected my life insurance
quotes. Perhaps if you are on the edge it could However, if you want
to be covered while flying commercially, CFIing, or flying with CAP
you will have to pay an extra premium.

-Robert

Old June 11th 08, 11:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Lou" wrote in message
Well, I'm not looking for a free lunch but the preliminary quotes seem
to be half
of state farm and allstate and I'm wondering why.

I don't have a clue, but the world is like that. Insurance is just like any
other purchase, it pays to shop.

Get at least three quotes, (which will take three complete applications,
three physical exams, and 6 to 8 weeks). The "teaser" rate that they give you
after a quick screening application means little. They won't like it, and will
ask you why you are applying at other companies, but it is your privilege, and
doing so is just good business.

Vaughn

Old June 11th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Lou wrote:
Has anyone purchased the term life from aopa?
I was wondering how well or satisfied anyone is
with them. I've checked out regular insurance and
they charge the heck out of you for being a pilot.
lou

Check with PIC (http://www.piclife.com/) I have had a term policy with
them for 10 years. Now, I cannot claim that I have exercised the policy,
thank goodness. But, they sell to pilots and it was very reasonable.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old June 11th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 11, 3:11*am, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:

* * Get at least three quotes, (which will take three complete applications,
three physical exams, and 6 to 8 weeks). *The "teaser" rate that they give you
after a quick screening application means little. *They won't like it, and will
ask you why you are applying at other companies, but it is your privilege, and
doing so is *just good business.

Yea, one of the standard questions is if you've applied for life
insurance in the previous 12 months. You also have to do the full
physical before you will get a real (non-teaser) rate. Luckily most
companies don't charge for the lab work. I found out about my
cholesteral when I applied for AOPA life insurance (and later decided
to go with USAA instead).
If you really want to shop for life insurance as an informed consumer
you need to educate yourself on 3 types of life insurance....
1) Term life
2) Universal life
3) Whole life

All 3 are very different; have different rates; and have different
benefits. In almost all cases your lowest rate today will be with your
employer (as a group policy) but in 10 years you may regret that
decision.

-Robert
Old June 11th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

On Jun 11, 11:46 am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Jun 11, 3:11 am, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:

[...]

I'm looking at the AOPA for 2 reasons, 1. I am self employed 2. It was
my understanding
that instead of a physical, they use your current medical info.
Is this not the case?
lou
Old June 11th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Vaughn Simon schrieb:
There is no free lunch. Wherever you buy life insurance, the cost of your
aviating will be priced in (if aviation is covered in the policy).

I have piloting included but I only had to pay a premium during my time
as a student pilot. Maybe you should look abroad?

#m
Old June 11th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 11, 9:58*am, Lou wrote:

I'm looking at the AOPA for 2 reasons, 1. I am self employed 2. It was
my understanding
that instead of a physical, they use your current medical info.
Is this not the case?

Nope, they sent a nurse out and they did the whole works. There may be
a dollar limit at which point they do the physical. Really the people
running the insurance have no idea you are associated with AOPA or
what AOPA is. This is really just an AOPA referal to Minnesota life. I
think AOPA gets a referal fee so it helps AOPA. In fact when I filed
out the form they were confused about the pilot questions (they
clearly do not deal with a lot of pilots).

-Robert