Where to go, what to do?

Old April 1st 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

Default Where to go, what to do?

Spring Break for my kids is this coming week.
Five days with no plans, yet.
We are looking at Montreal then Quebec and maybe New Foundland/PEI.
Then there is Charleston and Savannah.
Mammouth Cave in Kentucky, followed by Memphis or Nashville.
Decisions? Decisions?
Old April 1st 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Spring Break for my kids is this coming week.
Five days with no plans, yet.
We are looking at Montreal then Quebec and maybe New Foundland/PEI.

Go to Canada for Spring Break? Yeesh. At least you wouldn't have to
contend with any crowds... ;-)

Then there is Charleston and Savannah.
Mammouth Cave in Kentucky, followed by Memphis or Nashville.

Now you're talking!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 1st 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("john smith" wrote)
Spring Break for my kids is this coming week.ing wasn't
Five days with no plans, yet.
We are looking at Montreal then Quebec and maybe New Foundland/PEI.
Then there is Charleston and Savannah.
Mammouth Cave in Kentucky, followed by Memphis or Nashville.
Decisions? Decisions?

Mall of America? ....as if fly wasn't expensive enough. g

Then Duluth... (150 miles)

Then up the Arrowhead and Boundary Waters area... (100 + 100 miles)

Then some open pit mines on the Iron Range... (75 + 25 miles)

Then, through "Lake Country" over to Fargo ND ...(80 + 130 miles)

Then 4 BBBBBillion year old rocks on the SW MN prairie... (240 miles)

Then across to the SE MN hardwood forests and rolling hills of the
Mississippi River Bluffs area... (250 + 50 miles)

Then up the Mighty Mississippi into Hastings, St Paul, Minneapolis and
Blaine... (140 + 20 + 10 + 20 miles)

Have they been to DC or New York City yet?

DC in April is suppose to be nice. We visited NY in April of '98 - GREAT
TRIP. Rooms are NOT expensive, if you call the hotel - direct, last minute.
(guessing 0.125AMU/night can be had x5 nights!) Stay on Broadway (or 1/2 a
block from) between 55th and 42nd St. It's a trip they'll ALWAYS remember.

Not sure what a week's tie-down at JFK runs? :-)

Montblack - take your pick.
2000 Honda Accord (6 CD changer - kids!)
1994 Airplane of Minivans (more, um ...functional, really. I'll send you off
with extra trani fluid. g)

Snow: Tue and Wed.
High: 40F on Wed
http://www.kare11.com/weather/
38F on Tues ...for the High

Old April 1st 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article ,
"Montblack" wrote:

Snow: Tue and Wed.
High: 40F on Wed
http://www.kare11.com/weather/
38F on Tues ...for the High

Ohio... snow Thursday.
So if I fly up to Minnesota and North Dakota on Monday, I can sit on the
ground all week. Have I got that right?
Old April 1st 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Go to Canada for Spring Break? Yeesh. At least you wouldn't have to
contend with any crowds... ;-)

I (notice I didn't use the married couple, joint decision word) decided
to save Canada for August. Riding around Isle de Orlean on bicycles in
the snow just does seem so appealing after a couple weeks of Spring.
Old April 1st 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

Hershey, PA is always on my wife's "let's take the kids to" list. We gotten
there yet.
Williamsburg, VA?
Jim

Old April 1st 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gyoung

John, you could follow in Jay's wake turbulence. This time of year I'd
go in more southerly directions.

Near his wake I offer Hampton Roads as a candidate:
on the Peninsula (Newport News, Hampton, Williamsburg, York County)

--- the Williamsburg airport-JGG
---- small and GA-friendly
--- Newport News/Williamsburg-PHF
---- bigger with scheduled air carrier, but GA friendly
-- and for attractions,
--- Jamestown (www.jamestown1607.org and www.historyisfun.org)
---- this is the 400th year anniversary, the Queen is coming in May
--- Colonial Williamsburg (www.history.org/)
--- Yorktown Battlefield (www.nps.gov/yonb/)
--- Yorktown Victory Center (www.historyisfun.org)
--- Mariner's Museum (www.mariner.org)
---- the new Monitor Center with artifacts recovered from the wreck off
Cape Hatteras
---- Virginia Air and Space Center (www.vasc.org)
---- for the kids, Busch Gardens/Williamsburg (www.buschgardens.com)
----- open Mar 30-Apr 15
on Southside (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, among others)

--- two GA-friendly airports: CPK and PVG, plus the 'big one' in these
parts: ORF
--- -the- Virginia Beach beach
--- Nauticus National Maritime Center (www.nauticus.org)
--- Big Ships at the Norfolk Naval Base

Plus:
- I'm guessing where you will start from - you will fly across the
Appalachians (not the Rockies but some people do call them mountains)
- Flying around the Hampton Roads area includes the lower half of the
Chesapeake Bay, which is scenic in itself.
-- Tangier Island for some real down-home crabcakes (30 minute flight,
land on the island)
- Here over a weekend? A Sunday morning breakfast Fly In at Campbell
Field-9VG on the Eastern Shore (www.campbellfieldairport.com)
- It's less than an hour from Hampton Roads to First Flight-FFA/Kitty Hawk.

Good luck in your family deliberations, and have a great trip.
george
Old April 1st 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("john smith" wrote)
Snow: Tue and Wed.
High: 40F on Wed
http://www.kare11.com/weather/
38F on Tues ...for the High

Ohio... snow Thursday.
So if I fly up to Minnesota and North Dakota on Monday, I can sit on the
ground all week. Have I got that right?

The one fluid that doesn't leak on the minivan is the washer fluid - new
wiper blades too. Heat? Not so much. Rear washer/wiper? Fugetaboutit.

22mpg on long trips.

You could take in the Twins "Dome" Opener vs. Baltimore (April 2 - 4) g

Montblack

Old April 2nd 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Montblack wrote:
("john smith" wrote)

Spring Break for my kids is this coming week.ing wasn't
Five days with no plans, yet.
We are looking at Montreal then Quebec and maybe New Foundland/PEI.
Then there is Charleston and Savannah.
Mammouth Cave in Kentucky, followed by Memphis or Nashville.
Decisions? Decisions?

Have they been to DC or New York City yet?

DC in April is suppose to be nice. We visited NY in April of '98 - GREAT
TRIP. Rooms are NOT expensive, if you call the hotel - direct, last minute.
(guessing 0.125AMU/night can be had x5 nights!) Stay on Broadway (or 1/2 a
block from) between 55th and 42nd St. It's a trip they'll ALWAYS remember.

Not sure what a week's tie-down at JFK runs? :-)

The cherry blossoms are in full bloom right now. Hopefully tonight and
tomorrow's rain won't be too hard on them. Monday and Tuesday should be
PERFECT in DC, Wednesday a bit cooler with a change of T-storms. The
rest of the week will be cool (good days for the museums). The
Smithsonian museums can keep you entertained for days if not weeks and
are all free. There are lots of other great museums and things to see.
Start at the top of the Washington Monument to get a good feel for how
the city is laid out. Don't forget to take a trip out to the Steven F.
Udvar-Hazy Center of the National Air and Space Museum near Dulles Airport.

Margy
Old April 2nd 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article ,
"Montblack" wrote:

The one fluid that doesn't leak on the minivan is the washer fluid - new
wiper blades too. Heat? Not so much. Rear washer/wiper? Fugetaboutit.

If you haven't already complied with it, there is an AD (or whatever the
automotive equivalent is) on the rear wiper. Somehow if it doesn't work,
the airbags can deploy.

Also, an AD on the bolts attaching the rear hatch air shocks.

22mpg on long trips.

If you put 93 octane in and set the cruise control for a long trip, you
can bump that up to 24-27 mpg.

I changed my local driving style and increased my combined milage by 3
mpg (from 20-23).