Squawk Sheets

Old August 21st 04, 12:40 AM
Peter Duniho

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 6...
Jay, there's just a good chance that the owner is just as confused
about the Aircraft Flight Manual Equipment List and a true Minimum
Equipment List as many of this group's members were.

Bob, you really just need to quit your "there are no 172s with an MEL"
mantra. Enough people have already said that they know of 172s with an MEL
that, at the very least, you should have gone and done some more research
before continuing to claim you know something you don't.

I think it's likely that the owner of Jay's flight school DOES know what
he's talking about. Furthermore, last time you made these claims, I stated
that it was my recollection that at Regal Air at Paine Field (where I
occasionally rent and take flight training), their 172s that they use for
Part 135 charters have MELs.

I just phoned Regal Air to verify this (in case my recollection was wrong)
and they confirmed that not only did they have 172s with MELs, they just
recently got approval of a blanket MEL that covers their entire 172 fleet.

You should feel free to call them if you still disagree, and argue it with
them. Their toll-free phone number is 800-337-0345. I simply spoke with
one of the instructors there, who confirmed it with someone else. You may
want to speak with their Director of Charter directly; if so, ask for Chuck
Smith when you call.

There's enough misinformation on the Internet already. Please stop
contributing to it.

Pete

Old August 21st 04, 05:14 AM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:01:34 GMT, Bob Moore
wrote:

wrote

I sincerely hope that you are merely misinformed and willing to search
for further information/education on this subject.

In another post, I have supplied MEL references for all to read.
Aside from a couple of Part 121 MELs that I have had a part in
preparing, that is all that I know.
I now await documented references from those that maintain that
the FAA has issued MELs to operators of Cessna 172 aircraft.

WTP/F, you've talked me into another roll in the mud.

I offer no such "references" because I have no need/desire to do so.

If I did, I wouldn't use an FAA "document" with absolutely no
referenced data, nor would I offer up a handout from the University of
North Dakota. A little of your concern with Jay's 141 operation's
alleged shortcomings should be directed in UND's direction.

I really possibly couldn't care less whether you believe me or not. As
the self-proclaimed wart on the ass that is GA maintenance (and very
occasionally ops) on Usenet, I have no credentials other than the
dementia honestly gained from 20+ years tilting with the FAA. Then
again, perhaps I've imagined it all.

However, it's entirely possible that I have written and edited (and
edited, and revised, and revised again) Pt 135 Ops Specs and both Pt
135 & Pt 91 MEL/O&M's, seen them through from the first header on the
first page to an "approved" signature on a Pt 91 MEL/LOA, with
initials on every pocking page.

It's also possible that I've inspected and maintained aircraft
operating under these documents-day after day, month after month, year
after year-and had more pocking face time with FAA "airworthiness"
personnel than you can possibly imagine.

"I now await" yet another chance to roll in the mud.

The FAA taught me how to enjoy it.

TC

Old August 23rd 04, 08:15 PM
David Brooks

"DanH" wrote in message

I check out a 172 from the club, but the landing light is burned out.
I'm flying "not for hire", VFR around a class G airport, so no
requirements for radios, transponder, or landing light (day or night).
The landing light switch has not been labeled, just a note in the squawk
sheet behind the tach sheets, or maybe not even squawked, perhaps I
found the problem during pre-flight.

Can I still legally fly this plane? It meets all the requirements for
day and night VFR if the landing light was not installed at all. But do
I have to have the equipment pulled or disabled to fly? What would the
owner (e.g. a flying club) need to do to allow this bird to fly in this
condition? (obviously repair the burned out bulb, but other than that).

The thread has veered off into arguments about MELs. If no MEL or MMEL, my
understanding purely from reading the regs is that you do indeed have to
mark the light inop and deactivate it. The day I took my Private checkride,
my school at the time finally replaced the landing light that had been burnt
out for a month. However, I was ready to show the DE that I could legally
stick a post-it on the switch and pull the breaker. I would have been wrong;
I should also have had it checked out by a PP or mechanic (91.213(d)(4)).

-- David Brooks