AME Database needs more info!

Old September 23rd 04, 06:44 AM
Carlos Villalpando

Default AME Database needs more info!

Or at least more correct info.

I'm a relatively healty enough 31 year old MALE, who's in the process of
interviewing CFIs before I start primary flight training. In the
process of getting all my ducks in a row, I decide to get a 3rd class
student medical out of the way before I spend too much money only to
find out whether or not I have a disqualifying condition. So I go to
http://ame.cami.jccbi.gov/ and search the AME database and find one
relatively close that's listed as Family Practice/General. Call up,
make an appointment, and show up.

I park and start walking up and notice that there's an unusually large
number of women around. Continue to the office and find his door tag.

"Dr. John Doe, MD"
"OB/GYN"

*pause* Umm.. Look around, get strange looks from the women in the
hallway, and proceed to walk in thinking "No way am I going to put
anything in stirrups." *grin*

Turns out he takes a couple of mornings a week where he doesn't see his
regular patients and only does Airman Medical Exams. Thankfully no
women were there to see him about his normal day job.

I guess I needsto take the term "Family Practice" a bit more literally.
*grin*

--Carlos V.
Old September 23rd 04, 02:48 PM
Ron Natalie

"Carlos Villalpando" wrote in message \ "Dr. John Doe, MD"

Turns out he takes a couple of mornings a week where he doesn't see his
regular patients and only does Airman Medical Exams. Thankfully no
women were there to see him about his normal day job.

Ah come on suck it up. My AME's over the years have been:

1. An allergist.
2. An opthomologist.
3. An internal medicne doc.
4. A retired Navy flight surgeon who operates a drug testing facility.
5. An ENT
6. Two general practicioners.

Frankly, I'd gladly go to the OB/GYN. The real ******* was the ENT (although I don't
think it has anything to do with his specialty).

Old September 23rd 04, 03:20 PM
Dave S

Ron Natalie wrote:
"Carlos Villalpando" wrote in message \ "Dr. John Doe, MD"

Turns out he takes a couple of mornings a week where he doesn't see his
regular patients and only does Airman Medical Exams. Thankfully no
women were there to see him about his normal day job.

Ah come on suck it up. My AME's over the years have been:

1. An allergist.
2. An opthomologist.
3. An internal medicne doc.
4. A retired Navy flight surgeon who operates a drug testing facility.
5. An ENT
6. Two general practicioners.

Frankly, I'd gladly go to the OB/GYN. The real ******* was the ENT (although I don't
think it has anything to do with his specialty).

ENT's are surgeons by training (as opposed to Medicine, OB/Gyn and
Pediatrics.. as major disciplines). Let me assure you that trait is
selected for, and is over-represented, in that population of professionals.

Dave

Old September 23rd 04, 04:26 PM
Icebound

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

"Carlos Villalpando" wrote in message \ "Dr.

John Doe, MD"

Turns out he takes a couple of mornings a week where he doesn't see his
regular patients and only does Airman Medical Exams. Thankfully no
women were there to see him about his normal day job.

Ah come on suck it up. My AME's over the years have been:

1. An allergist.
2. An opthomologist.
3. An internal medicne doc.
4. A retired Navy flight surgeon who operates a drug testing facility.
5. An ENT
6. Two general practicioners.

Frankly, I'd gladly go to the OB/GYN. The real ******* was the ENT

(although I don't
think it has anything to do with his specialty).

I have been given the line that AMEs must be pilots.

Is that a myth? .... for Canada OR the USA???

Old September 23rd 04, 06:12 PM
Ron Natalie

"Icebound" wrote in message news:KWB4d.54737
I have been given the line that AMEs must be pilots.

Is that a myth? .... for Canada OR the USA???

Not true in the US. Most are, but it's not required. The FAA gives
special consdieration to pilots, current and former military flight surgeon,
and others with aviation medical specialties.

Old September 24th 04, 02:05 PM
Gig Giacona

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

"Carlos Villalpando" wrote in message \ "Dr.
John Doe, MD"

Turns out he takes a couple of mornings a week where he doesn't see his
regular patients and only does Airman Medical Exams. Thankfully no
women were there to see him about his normal day job.

Ah come on suck it up. My AME's over the years have been:

1. An allergist.
2. An opthomologist.
3. An internal medicne doc.
4. A retired Navy flight surgeon who operates a drug testing facility.
5. An ENT
6. Two general practicioners.

Frankly, I'd gladly go to the OB/GYN. The real ******* was the ENT
(although I don't
think it has anything to do with his specialty).

Quit bitching.... The AME I used to know was a Proctologist.... I know where
his hands have been.