New Word 'SOARING'

Old February 2nd 05, 02:43 AM
Ray Lovinggood

Default New Word 'SOARING'

I just received my Feb 2005 issue of 'SOARING' today
and noticed a new word I'll have to add to my vocabulary.

It can be found on page 22, in the caption next to
the photo of the 2-33. The caption reads,

'The author's buyfriend at moment of touchdown.'

How right that word can be, for either a 'boyfriend'
or a husband.

I also noticed the M&H ad seems a bit dated. But then
again, Ground Hog day is tomorrow, so maybe it is appropriate.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Buyfriend for my wife

Old February 2nd 05, 04:07 AM
Mhudson126

Of course, there is also Brian Resor's SEE you article with ALL the captions
for the pictures left out so they make no sense. For those of you who would
like to see the entire, un screwed up article, please E-Mail me.
Old February 2nd 05, 02:14 PM
Shawn

Mhudson126 wrote:
Of course, there is also Brian Resor's SEE you article with ALL the captions
for the pictures left out so they make no sense. For those of you who would
like to see the entire, un screwed up article, please E-Mail me.

Any chance you can post it on a web site for a while?
If not you can remove all the another dot here crap from my e-mail for
correct address.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old February 2nd 05, 03:16 PM
Vorsanger1

The same article quoted by Ray Lovingood credits the "Authour". Even our
English friends do not spell it that way. Someone (something?) is slipping in
the editing department at Soaring Magazine.

Cheers (or is it chears, chiers ?)

Charles
Old February 2nd 05, 06:48 PM
Mark Zivley

Not to beat them up too much, but the picture on the cover was in a
Soaring calendar a few years back. How about some new stuff?

Old February 2nd 05, 06:48 PM
Mark James Boyd

Hmmm...maybe they have so much spectacular content and
so many great photos to edit and put out, that the pedantic details
of slightly misspelled but perfectly understood words isn't
their highest priority.

But I'm guessing with the high quality printing, they'll be
able to take that feedback and print a retraction in the
back in 2 point font ;P

--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old February 2nd 05, 09:18 PM
Jim Skydell

Gentlemen:

You are all making reference in your comments regarding SOARING
magazine, in one way or the other, to "The SSA."

I'd respectfully point out to you all that "The SSA" does not produce a
magazine. People, in this case Denise Layton, (managing editor), Steve
Hines (art director) and a volunteer staff of your peers (contributing
editors) produce the magazine. And being people, they have the same
feelings you all (presumably) do. They surely take Ray's "buyfriend"
comment in jest. Others they surely do not.

It's very easy to be critical of "The SSA," or "SOARING magazine"
because they have no voices, and cannot respond. Nor can they afford
you some insight into exactly what it's like putting out five issues of
the magazine, and at least one issue of Technical Soaring at the same
time as planning and executing a national convention, to say nothing of
running a 12,600 member organization (all for your benefit).

"The SSA" and "SOARING magazine" have no voices, but I do. And again,
respectfully, I know what I am talking about. I have spent at least 60
hour weeks for over a year as a volunteer for the SSA, serving on the
Board, ExComm, and creating a convention that I hope each of you will
attend and enjoy.

In so doing, I have worked closely with all of the Hobbs staff. In
particular, I helped Denise Layton create the convention program, which
is nearly as large as an issue of SOARING magazine. Denise did this at
the same time she put out 5 issues of SOARING, and at least one issue of
Technical Soaring. And Steve Hines has been very helpful with graphic
design for the convention. He was busy creating those five SOARING
issues, while Denise did the program herself.

Just how hard does this woman work for "The SSA?" She will be angry
with me for sharing this, but I think it's high time "The SSA" had a
voice, and you started to listen to it:

"At this point I barely remember my own name, and I now have bigger and
better problems then that. Problems with the March magazine. I have not
had a single day off (including weekends) since Christmas, have only
gone to lunch maybe three times in the last three weeks, and killed
myself working on the convention and the magazine. I have come in early
every morning, left late every night. I can't take the nastiness on RAS
any more."

Is SOARING magazine perfect? Far from it. Is it significantly better in
recent times? I, for one, think so. And everyone involved is working
hard to make it better, all the time. While there is some significant
confusion about exactly who might be responsible for those missing
captions in Mr. Rezor's article, in the future, please do your best to
"go easy" on people when mistakes are made. These people can only do 4
or 5 things at once, and ultimately, everything they do (imperfect as
they may be) is for you.

I hope all of you will attend the convention.

Jim Skydell Region 12

Old February 2nd 05, 09:45 PM
dianne

Jim:
You forgot to tell them that they obviously have not volunteered to
help out. Its a very small group doing everything that needs doing and
volunteerism is the buzz word this year. If you don't like the
pictures, send some new ones; if you don't like the editing, become a
contributing editor. Stop whining and pitch in and help.

Old February 2nd 05, 09:50 PM

Ray Lovinggood wrote:
I just received my Feb 2005 issue of 'SOARING' today
and noticed a new word I'll have to add to my vocabulary.

It can be found on page 22, in the caption next to
the photo of the 2-33. The caption reads,

'The author's buyfriend at moment of touchdown.'

How right that word can be, for either a 'boyfriend'
or a husband.

I also noticed the M&H ad seems a bit dated. But then
again, Ground Hog day is tomorrow, so maybe it is appropriate.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Buyfriend for my wife

Comment:

As a group, you guys are a bunch of snots!
I pretty can't take the "Let's take our shots this week" mentality.
It is true that there are some errors in Soaring magazine- occasionally
even a couple real clangers, by by and large, I think it is greatly
improved and enjoy it.
I suspect you have no idea how hurtful some of these comments are. If
you do, more the shame.
An important employee of SSA resigned this week, in part because of
this kind of nastiness and the abuse received over the phone from some
members.
I'd be interested in how many of you do jobs that are reviewed by 12000
critics.
UH