HELLO..

Old May 15th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default HELLO..

On Tue, 15 May 2007 11:04:47 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote in :

What did you join?

Oh, s/he's just a clueless (as evidence by use of ALL CAPS) resident
of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, or Ohio who believes s/he has joined a
Google group. Because GoogleGroups doesn't explain that Usenet
newsgroups are different from those newsgroups created on
GoogleGroups, it's understandable that s/he used the term 'joined'
instead of 'subscribed,' because that the term used by GoogleGroups.

I see GoogleGroups, despite their providing an archive of past Usenet
article, as making a deliberate (marketing?) effort to deceive those
who access Usenet through their Usenet gateway into believing that
GoogleGroups owns and operates Usenet. Of course that's not the case
at all (no one entity will ever own Usenet); Usenet is owned by those
myriad worldwide news administrators who devote labor and equipment
resources to relaying a news feed. GoogleGroups is but a node on the
network. And unlike this, and other Usenet newsgroups which are true
Usenet newsgroups which propagate on hundreds of thousands of nntp
servers throughout the world, GoogleGroups newsgroups only propagate
among GoogleGroups servers, a much, much smaller subset.

In any event, I welcome the new rec.aviation.piloting subscriber, and
kindly direct him/her to read the documentation here to familiarize
themselves with how Usenet operates:
http://users.rcn.com/kateshort/nnq/nnqlinks.html

Further, I recommend that the OP dump GoogleGroups in favor of an nntp
news server and newsreader client like Forté Agent:

Download Agent 4.2 · Free 30-Day Trial
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/download.php

I further suggest, that use of the subscriber's real name will lend
credibility to his/her articles.

Old May 15th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Nomen Nescio wrote:

Anyway, if he can't live in his fantasy world on the internet, he'll
probably take a real "flight" off a tall building. I'll bet his "autoland"
won't work nearly as well as he thinks it does.

Which is funny in what way?
Old May 16th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

wrote in :

What did you join?

Oh, s/he's just a clueless (as evidence by use of ALL CAPS) resident
of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, or Ohio who believes s/he has joined a
Google group. Because GoogleGroups doesn't explain that Usenet
newsgroups are different from those newsgroups created on
GoogleGroups, it's understandable that s/he used the term 'joined'
instead of 'subscribed,' because that the term used by GoogleGroups.

I use Google Groups, as since I switched to the Mac I still miss
Outlook Express's newsreader (terrible, I know) and haven't found a
newsreader to my tastes yet, but Google Groups is fast becoming
useless for posting anything - I often have to try 5 or 6 times to
post, each time it waits an eternity then times out, and after 5 or 6
attempts it just gives up and grays out the Send button. Grrr... Any
Mac people on here can suggest a good newsreader for me??

Old May 16th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("chris" wrote)
Grrr... Any Mac people on here can suggest a good newsreader for me??

You can get an ok M$ Win98 box for about $50.

ALL you want to do is read newsgroups with it.

I've got two monitors you can HAVE!! So do half of your neighbors.

Problem solved ...use M$ 6.0 Outlook Express :-)

Montblack
Also - a $99 Aiwa boombox plays CD's just fine, thank you very much.

mini rant mode off

Old May 16th 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Chris:

Mozilla's newsreader isn't bad. Personally, I use command line
and trn as a news reader.

Old May 16th 07, 10:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article .com,
chris wrote:

I use Google Groups, as since I switched to the Mac I still miss
Outlook Express's newsreader (terrible, I know) and haven't found a
newsreader to my tastes yet,

you don't like MT-NewsWatcher? or NewWatcher? or Thunderbird?

Outlook express (blech) is still available from www.microsoft.com, and would
still work as long as you are running Classic.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old May 16th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rolf Blom

On 2007-05-16 04:38, chris wrote:
-snip-
I use Google Groups, as since I switched to the Mac I still miss
Outlook Express's newsreader (terrible, I know) and haven't found a
newsreader to my tastes yet, but Google Groups is fast becoming
useless for posting anything - I often have to try 5 or 6 times to
post, each time it waits an eternity then times out, and after 5 or 6
attempts it just gives up and grays out the Send button. Grrr... Any
Mac people on here can suggest a good newsreader for me??

Not on a Mac, but this page lists some possibilities for you:

http://www.newsreaders.com/mac/clients.html

regards
/Rolf
Old May 16th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tom418

So if the OP had an ATP with and some turbine time, he would still have to
"sit back and see how everyone interacts"?
"Morgans" wrote in message
First thing, don't type all capital letters. It is considered shouting,

and
shows rude form.

Second, sit back, and read for a while, and see how everyone interacts.

It
will help to keep you from making a fool of yourself.

Third, be humble. There are a lot of very knowlegable people in this

group,
and if you come off as a know-it-all, you will not last very long, before
being called on the carpet.

I hpe you do have some to offer the group, but I can't emphasize enough,
that you read for a while, and see how everyone interacts. It will help

you
out in the long run.

What do you have to offer? Are you a pilot? What ratings? Do you own a
plane, or rent? What do you fly, and what have you flown?

Do you have any other special interests, or hobbies? Tell us a little

about
yourself.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 16th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote in :

[...]

Isn't there a Thunderbird for Mac. It is VERY much like OE

Old May 16th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

wrote in :

[...]

Yes there is. It works. I use it only on my Windows machine as I do not
use any MS products other than Media Center.

I use MT Newswatcher on my Macs for usenet.