google groups r.a.s.

Old June 27th 11, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default google groups r.a.s.

nothing received via google groups since 6/25

news.eternal-september.org seems to be working fine
Old June 27th 11, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Skyslicer

seem to be able to post through GG though.

Old June 27th 11, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:54:20 -0600, Skyslicer wrote:

seem to be able to post through GG though.

But using it is not a good idea because posting through GG is currently
breaking USENET threading.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Old June 29th 11, 06:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 10:52:56 -0700, Frank Whiteley wrote:

nothing received via google groups since 6/25

news.eternal-september.org seems to be working fine

Just checking PAN news reader.

Frank
Old June 29th 11, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vaughn[_3_]

"Morgans" wrote in message

news.aioe.org is still free and working fine.

Same with http://www.eternal-september.org/ . Once you switch to a real news
server (you also need a news reader program like Outlook Express) you will
wonder why you ever bothered with Google Groups. It faster, threads better, and
is virtually spam free.

Vaughn

Old June 29th 11, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 08:59:10 -0400, vaughn wrote:

"Morgans" wrote in message

news.aioe.org is still free and working fine.

Same with http://www.eternal-september.org/ . Once you switch to a real
news server (you also need a news reader program like Outlook Express)
you will wonder why you ever bothered with Google Groups. It faster,
threads better, and is virtually spam free.

For real newsreader programs my recommendations a

Windows: Forte Agent - http://www.forteinc.com/
Its been a while now since I used Windows, but when I did,
I tried a number of newsreaders and preferred Agent to the rest.

Linux: Pan - http://pan.rebelbase.com/

OS X: no idea what works

I've also tried dual-purpose programs, e.g. Opera and Thunderbird and
haven't found either to be much good as newsreaders.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK