Solar Aircraft

Old July 30th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
oilsardine[_2_]

Default Solar Aircraft

this is cool http://www.solarimpulse.com/

Old July 31st 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

oilsardine wrote:
this is cool http://www.solarimpulse.com/

Cool idea but I give little credence to any of this stuff until a flying
prototype is built. There are just too many hucksters out there that know
how use computer graphics and build a web site.

Old July 31st 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jul 31, 9:33 am, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:
oilsardine wrote:
this is coolhttp://www.solarimpulse.com/

Cool idea but I give little credence to any of this stuff until a flying
prototype is built. There are just too many hucksters out there that know
how use computer graphics and build a web site.

How about a 158 mile cross country using solar power. This is what
the Sunseeker has done...used battery power to takeoff and climb to
altitude and then solar power to cruise. This plane previously flew
coast to coast using electric power to launch and motor between
thermals.

http://www.solar-flight.com/Page2.htm

Old July 31st 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote:
oilsardine wrote:
this is coolhttp://www.solarimpulse.com/

Cool idea but I give little credence to any of this stuff until a
flying prototype is built. There are just too many hucksters out
there that know how use computer graphics and build a web site.

How about a 158 mile cross country using solar power. This is what
the Sunseeker has done...used battery power to takeoff and climb to
altitude and then solar power to cruise. This plane previously flew
coast to coast using electric power to launch and motor between
thermals.

http://www.solar-flight.com/Page2.htm

Looks like that qualifies as a flying prototype to me. I wish them luck. But
if it is relying on solar power what is keeping it from going further than
158 miles? Or is it still running on batteries and being partially recharged
with the solar?

My problem isn't so much with the concept of solar powered flght as it is
that even with all the R&D there hasn't been an significant leap from
lead/acid.

Old July 31st 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

No, I know nothing about them. And since I wouldn't invest in anything in
the recreational aviation market, other than my own toys, I have no desire
to investigate it.

But you don't need me to bet with. Just invest in them. Or really take the
leap and apply for a job with them.

http://www.solarimpulse.com/files/Pr...f1_en-1928.pdf

After a second look at their site I notice that they aren't at this point
trying to develop a commercial product just to fly around the world with
solar power. While doing that might lead to a commercial product it might
just as easily not.

Record attempts are great but unless they bring us closer to a useful
products then they are just stunts.

Old July 31st 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

No, because I know nothing about them and they are just trying to do
something that hasn't been done. I don't see where the return will be on
their investment. And if a useable technology doesn't come out of it is just
another stunt.

I am curious though why you think it is such a sure thing. Are you involved
with them in some way?

If you support them so much invest. But keep in mind that they have some
huge hurdles to overcome.

From their FAQ...

What area still limits the plane's performance?
It is above all, the energetic density of the batteries. Their stocking
capacity is still limited and their influence has a great bearing on the
total mass of the airplane. By doubling their storage capacity, it would be
possible to allow a second person on board and therefore carry out longer
flights.

Doubling the storage capacity of the battery capacity is no small feat.
Folks with a lot more money than them have been trying to do that for years.

Old August 1st 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

The difference is the work that went into Voyager was to prove Rutan's
composite designs for commercial aircraft purposes. And because he wanted to
prove them for aircraft and space craft purposes he had to make them fly.

The folks you are talking about admit that they need to double the capacity
of the batteries. Light, high cap batteries are a goal of many comercially
viable projects.

I have no doubt someone will, sooner or later fly around the earth in a
solar/electric aircraft I doubt that the battery technology that allows it
will have been desinged for the mission. The technology will come from
someone with more money and brains who is doing it to reap the rewards with
a commercial product.

That said there is a chance that the first place an organization that is
doing the battery reasearch will show the technology off is a global flight
because of the press it would get them. The downside if the thing folds up
and crashes in the ocean for a non-battery realted failure the battery
technology will get the bad press.

My bet is that the technology, when developed, will be for a car that can
drive 5 hours at highway speed.