Plexiglass problem

Old July 29th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Klettke

Default Plexiglass problem

I have some older Plexi aircraft windows where the paper protection has been
on for a very long time. Some of the paper has shrunk and cracked into
strips, but is stuck well onto the plexi.
I tried water to soften it, but to no avail.
Any suggestions?

Old July 30th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave[_16_]

Klettke wrote:
I have some older Plexi aircraft windows where the paper protection has been
on for a very long time. Some of the paper has shrunk and cracked into
strips, but is stuck well onto the plexi.
I tried water to soften it, but to no avail.
Any suggestions?

Call the manufacturer and ask for hints.

When installing windows in a bonanza, the glass manufacturer suggested
alcohol to clean up the proseal mess. With that said, AC 43.13 and other
sources suggest not to use alcohol to clean them.

http://www.ridoutplastics.com/acplas.html
Gives a lot of information of how different chemicals affect plexiglass.
Ethyl Alcohol appears good. A bottle of Jack and a little time, you
might have your problems solved.

Mineral Spirits isn't real good according to the list. Neither is
turpentine.

Again, the best bet is to call any manufacturer of plexiglass products
and ask them how to get the paper off.

Good Luck,

Dave
Old July 30th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Kunkel

"Klettke" wrote in message
I have some older Plexi aircraft windows where the paper protection has
been on for a very long time. Some of the paper has shrunk and cracked into
strips, but is stuck well onto the plexi.
I tried water to soften it, but to no avail.
Any suggestions?

This might be a job for WD-40, try it on a corner to be sure it doesn't harm
the plexiglass.

Old July 30th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Evan Carew

Klettke wrote:
I have some older Plexi aircraft windows where the paper protection has been
on for a very long time. Some of the paper has shrunk and cracked into
strips, but is stuck well onto the plexi.
I tried water to soften it, but to no avail.
Any suggestions?

Easiest way to do it is with simple isopropyl alcohol. Get it as strong
as you can, i.e., from your painting goods store, not the drug store.
Use a sponge nd gloves to wet the paper down ~3 times... not letting it
dry out inbetween applications. It takes about 5 or 10 minutes for a
full front wind screen. When done, simply peel off old paper.
Old July 31st 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Evan Carew" wrote in message
Klettke wrote:
I have some older Plexi aircraft windows where the paper protection has

been
on for a very long time. Some of the paper has shrunk and cracked into
strips, but is stuck well onto the plexi.
I tried water to soften it, but to no avail.
Any suggestions?

Easiest way to do it is with simple isopropyl alcohol. Get it as strong
as you can, i.e., from your painting goods store, not the drug store.
Use a sponge nd gloves to wet the paper down ~3 times... not letting it
dry out inbetween applications. It takes about 5 or 10 minutes for a
full front wind screen. When done, simply peel off old paper.

I can not speak for the plexiglass, as I have never tried it; but do this in
an area with adiquate ventilation--definitely NOT a closed and air
conditioned room.

Plexiglass Glue Jim Vincent Soaring 6 March 23rd 07 08:25 PM
Bonding Plexiglass David Melby Cavalier Home Built 5 November 21st 06 12:20 AM
Plexiglass protective paper jerry wass Home Built 29 January 7th 06 05:57 AM
Working with plexiglass in winter Ben Jackson Owning 2 December 15th 05 07:43 PM
Combining MEK with Plexiglass - good or bad? [email protected] Owning 0 June 24th 04 06:09 AM