Piston single research

Old January 23rd 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Default Piston single research

xyzzy wrote:
On Jan 23, 1:36 pm, Gig 601XL Builder
wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:
Folks,
I'm starting to research my next plane.
Is anyone aware of a book that lists, or better yet, groups by
similarities, piston single aircraft for performance and specification
research?
Any suggestions are welcome. A website would be OK, too, but I'd
actually prefer printed material.
Thanks!
Note a book but...
http://www.risingup.com/planespecs/

Oh and I forgot to mention it has this page.http://www.risingup.com/planespecs/advsearch.shtml

where you can enter the specs you are looking for and it will give you a
list of matching planes.

It would be a lot more useful if you could say for example twin or
not, retractable gear or not, tailwheel or not. 200+ results with a
bunch of twins isn't that useful to me...

Yes it would be nice as would being able to set the number of seats. But
for the cost it is the best I've been able to find.
Old January 23rd 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"B A R R Y" wrote:

We're (two of us) looking at the 150+ knot range, 4-5 seats, IFR &
autopilot, ~$100-125k. As we're very early in the process, I'm still
looking into speed / payload / fuel burn trade-offs, cabin size, gear
options.

That's a Mooney you're describing:

http://tinyurl.com/3d62fc

....or maybe a Commander:

http://tinyurl.com/34rn9h

....or maybe a 182RG:

http://tinyurl.com/2qn8xo

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old January 24th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

"Dan Luke" wrote ...
"B A R R Y" wrote:
We're (two of us) looking at the 150+ knot range, 4-5 seats, IFR &
autopilot, ~$100-125k. As we're very early in the process, I'm still
looking into speed / payload / fuel burn trade-offs, cabin size, gear
options.

That's a Mooney you're describing:

...or maybe a Commander:

...or maybe a 182RG:

And if the 5th seat is critical, look at a Piper Lance.

Old January 24th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Douglas Paterson

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"B A R R Y" wrote:

We're (two of us) looking at the 150+ knot range, 4-5 seats, IFR &
autopilot, ~$100-125k. As we're very early in the process, I'm still
looking into speed / payload / fuel burn trade-offs, cabin size, gear
options.

That's a Mooney you're describing:

...or maybe a Commander:

...or maybe a 182RG:

I fell in love w/ and bought a Trinidad last year; fits all the mission
descriptors you give. The TB-20 (or 21, if you want turbo for a bit more
$$) will fit all your parameters. I also agree w/ Dan's listings, except
for the Mooney (since you also mention you want to put large folks in the
plane)--the 50" cabin width of the TBs was one of the biggest selling points
for me.

http://tinyurl.com/yvy5a3

The only other plane that made my short list was the Comanche (cabin width &
newer airframes ultimately swayed me to the TB). You'll have to try hard to
spend over $100K these days, though (I removed the floor from this search).

http://tinyurl.com/2c7rzh

Good luck!
--
Doug
"Where am I to go/Now that I've gone too far?" -- Golden Earring, "Twilight

Old January 24th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
.. .
Kingfish wrote:

Try this: http://www.ipilot.com/aircraft

Will do!

What did you have in mind? You fly out of HFD right?

That was temporary. Now we're back at Windham (IJD).

We're (two of us) looking at the 150+ knot range, 4-5 seats, IFR &
autopilot, ~$100-125k. As we're very early in the process, I'm still
looking into speed / payload / fuel burn trade-offs, cabin size, gear
options.

We'd rather not get smaller up front than the Sundowner, as I'm 6'1" 225,
and my co-owner is 6'6", 185. We'd like to go faster and higher (who
doesn't? G) and possibly gain some load.

I'm looking for a resource to fit aircraft to the mission, where I can
start getting price and insurance ideas from Trade-a-Plane, etc...

A36 its a good step up from the Sundowner.

Old January 24th 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

May as well stay in the family and get a Bonanza. You can get a Bo that
meets all your needs with the S35 and newer. The S35's will run less
than $100K. I have the S35 and you will get 175 kts cruise on 14 gph.
Just farting around the local area? Then 8 gph for 130 kts. You want
150 knots then all you'll need is 10 gph. No aircraft you'll look at
short of the new glass planes like Cirrus and Lancair are as efficient,
but with those you'll get murdered with insurance. The S35 and newer
are 6 seaters but teriffic as four seaters. I have 1260 lbs useful with
four seats in. The main reason I got it was the cabin is huge compared
to the 182 I had. I wanted space, especially for camping. With just
two seats in I don't really need to pack, just pitch the crap in there
and go. I had a 182 for 7 years prior to getting the Bo 2 1/2 years
ago. Here's my costs. Annuals. The 182 was always around $1000 if
nothing big was wrong. The Bo is about $1500-1800. Insurance: The 182
settled right in at $1000 a year for a $70K hull. The Bo is $2300 and
dropping for a $90K hull. I expect it to be in the mid to high teens
after another year or two. Where I save money is gas. Because the 182
would only indicate 135-140 mph at top of the green I always ran there
burning 12.5 gph. At the same speed the Bo burns 7 gph. In the local
area I normally run around at 45% power burning 8 gph. On a trip from
here in Montana to the Twin Cities I shave an hour off the trip and burn
5 less gallons then the 182. I never would have considered a Mooney.
Main reason is they are pavement only planes. I got to be able to go
off road. The Bo has more prop clearance than my 182 had and I had an
oversize nosewheel. Also I did not like the Mooney interior. Way too
small and I really didn't like sitting with my legs straight out. Plus
the windows are like pillbox slits compared to the Bo.

Old January 24th 08, 10:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

B,

We're (two of us) looking at the 150+ knot range, 4-5 seats, IFR &
autopilot, ~$100-125k.

That's easy: Socata TB-20 Trinidad. See www.socata.org both for a great
user community and some offers.

You won't find anything as spacious and modern (recent design, not too
old airframe) anywhere else in that price range. With a bench seat in
the back, it will seat five, although the usual weight limitations
apply. We're talking about a design from the late 70s, early 80s, and
an aircraft from the late 80s, early 90s. And it shows.

If you don't care about age, a Bo comes to mind. A Rockwell 114 might
be an option, too.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 24th 08, 10:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

B,

Is anyone aware of a book that lists, or better yet, groups by
similarities, piston single aircraft for performance and specification
research?

Aviation Consumer's Used Aircraft Guide.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 24th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Allen[_1_]

"dlevy" wrote in message
.. .
What is the S35 model? What years were they produced?

Thanks.

1964 and 1965

--

*H. Allen Smith*
WACO - We are all here, because we are not all there.