Tire inflation pressure

Old November 7th 03, 04:15 PM
Eric Miller

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message

Unless you were previously filling your tires with helium, there isn't

much to be gained
on diffusion by this change.

But using helium filled tires ensures squeaky landings!
I suppose you can use grease filled tires too, but it's a lot heavier and
not good for the rubber.

=D

Eric

Old November 7th 03, 10:48 PM
Jimmy Cash

Losing pressure in your tires is normal. This occurs because we are stuck
in the 50's and still using natural rubber instead of synthetic rubber. You
will notice that they deflate at the same rate.

Jimmy
"Paul Lee" wrote in message
om...
What is the proper pressure to use with 5.00-5 mains and 10x3.50-4 nose
for a 2250 gross canard plane?

Another related question: both mains tend to loose air slowly - would
be flat after about 3 months sitting. Is this typical or should I get
new tubes?

Paul Lee, SQ2000 canard project: www.abri.com/sq2000

Old November 7th 03, 11:24 PM
Barnyard BOb --

Another poster's comment to "blow 'em up
until the sidewalls come off the ground" is, of course, idiotic.

- anon

Don't be such a tight ass, anon.
This was an OBVIOUS harmless joke..
except for the part recommending
going to Home Depot for tubes.

That sir, has been the best advice so far for
experimental aircraft. The recommended lawn
and garden tubes, if installed correctly, will NOT leak
and are affordable.

Better and cheaper.
Can't beat that.

Barnyard BOb -- over 50 years of successful flight
Old November 8th 03, 12:52 AM
VideoFlyer

45 lbs??? 55 lbs for the nose gear??? That seems awfully high. Those tires
will be hard as a rock. I guess I'd prefer a little softer tire to land on. I
rarely put in more than about 15 to 20 lbs. 5 lbs will "get the sidewall off
the ground."
Old November 8th 03, 12:53 AM
Larry Smith

"Whunicut" wrote in message
What is the proper pressure to use with 5.00-5 mains and 10x3.50-4 nose
for a 2250 gross canard plane?

Another related question: both mains tend to loose air slowly - would
be flat after about 3 months sitting. Is this typical or should I get
new tubes?

1. Blow `em up until the sidewalls come off the ground.
2. Go to Home Depot and get some garden tractor/riding mower tubes. Use

the
old tubes for your rubber band gun.

Warren,
59 years of dicking around planes.

And bless you too. Why, Sir, that makes you the honored alpha male most
beloved curmudgeon here. We got one who's been dickin' around for 50, so
you got him beat. Besides, he don't seem to be building anything much
nowadays like you are, just lobbing laurels on Lycoming and railing at the
autoaero engine guys. Still kinda beloved though. Then we got the alpha
female curmuffie, Syd the Snowbuzzard. She's currently discommoded by radio
noise, but soon the agony will be abated once Weird gets it figgered out.

Old November 8th 03, 01:23 AM

Use 8 ply tires for the mains, they're only a couple of bucks more.

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 13:49:18 -0500, anon wrote:

(Paul Lee) wrote:
:
:Thanks for the leakage comments... but anybody know about the
:proper tire pressure? Or is that a mystery?
:
:45 psi for mains and 55 psi for the nose. Use six ply tires for the
:mains. Check pressure 12+ hours after initial inflation and add air
:if necessary. After that, pressure loss will be due to
:leakage/diffusion.
:
:The 70 psi nose tire pressure suggested by another poster is not only
:needlessly high but is over the maximum pressure specification for
:most 10x3.50-4 tires (1). Another poster's comment to "blow 'em up
:until the sidewalls come off the ground" is, of course, idiotic.
:
:Tire And Rim Association tire pressure chart:
:http://www.desser.com/pressurechart.html
:
:- anon
:
:1: The ply rating is an indication of tire strength and does not
:necessarily specify the actual number of carcass plies within the
:tire. The term is used to identify the maximum rated static load
:capability and corresponding inflation pressure applicable to specific
perational requirements.

Old November 8th 03, 02:08 AM
James Lloyd

I put 8 ply recaps on my Ercoupe once and it raised the plane about an
in. off the ground and even with no air in the tire,it would not go
flat.It did give me more prop clearance but a rough ride.I just did it
because my buddy told me that I would not have to worry about flats any
more and I have been alone on some strips with no help and had to put a
bunch of rags in the tire to get home.Not legal but it worked and I will
deny it later(smile)

Old November 8th 03, 03:22 AM
anon

Barnyard BOb -- wrote:

Don't be such a tight ass, anon.

Pot...kettle...black.

- anon

Manifold pressure gauge problem Dave Russell Aerobatics 3 January 29th 04 04:46 AM
Nosewheel Shimmy and Scalloped Tire Redux, Plus Larry Smith Home Built 2 September 15th 03 04:03 PM
Scalloped Nosewheel Tire Larry Smith Home Built 7 September 12th 03 09:16 PM
Fuel pressure Problems smf Home Built 3 September 7th 03 08:25 PM
Pressure Differential in heat Exchangers Bruce A. Frank Home Built 4 July 3rd 03 05:18 AM