Tire inflation pressure

Old November 9th 03, 02:04 AM
JH

Paul, I went to the address and looked at the chart. Unlike most in the
newsgroup, I am not an expert on anything. Anyway, the chart mentions
pressures "Unloaded". Is the same pressure used if re-inflating the tire
while on the plane?

I have an RV-4. The gross would be about 2000 max. There are two tires plush
tailwheel. The tires are 5.00x5 4 ply. Does that mean I should carry about
31 to 35lbs?

Thanks,
Joe

"anon" wrote in message
(Paul Lee) wrote:

Thanks for the leakage comments... but anybody know about the
proper tire pressure? Or is that a mystery?

45 psi for mains and 55 psi for the nose. Use six ply tires for the
mains. Check pressure 12+ hours after initial inflation and add air
if necessary. After that, pressure loss will be due to
leakage/diffusion.

The 70 psi nose tire pressure suggested by another poster is not only
needlessly high but is over the maximum pressure specification for
most 10x3.50-4 tires (1). Another poster's comment to "blow 'em up
until the sidewalls come off the ground" is, of course, idiotic.

Tire And Rim Association tire pressure chart:
http://www.desser.com/pressurechart.html

- anon

1: The ply rating is an indication of tire strength and does not
necessarily specify the actual number of carcass plies within the
tire. The term is used to identify the maximum rated static load
capability and corresponding inflation pressure applicable to specific
operational requirements.

Old November 9th 03, 03:42 AM
Peter Dohm

I'm no expert either. Logically, the pressure would be slightly higher when
inflating on the ground and supporting the weight of the aircraft; but should
be the same as the chart is the plane is jacked up. Thus, hypothetically,
you could again check the pressure after lowering the plane onto the tire and
determine the reinflation pressure.

I am really not trying to be a jack-ass.

I really doubt that it is critical or a C150, C152, or Piper Tomahawk; except
that I would be sure to heed any caution in the POH regarding hyper-sensitive
steering with an overinflated nose wheel tire. I don't know whether the tire
chart pressures are correct for low performance aircraft. However, the time
that I pumped up the tires of a C150M to the "recommended" pressure in the
POH, the resulting handling was inferior to that at the lower pressure where
I had found them. The plane gained speed on the taxiway with the engine
idling, rolled "forever" on landing, and was "bouncy" even when "greased on".

On the other hand, mechanics who work on high performance aircraft (especially
jets) treat the matter as one of great importance; and are probably right.

Peter

Old November 9th 03, 04:09 AM
Jerry Springer

Peter Dohm wrote:
The plane gained speed on the taxiway with the engine
idling, rolled "forever" on landing,

This is a REALLY good thing. Less drag on the ground the better.

Old November 9th 03, 09:50 AM
Whunicut

How about this that I learned from the Dodge Dakota newsgroup a while
back? Forget about tire pressure for now. Load up the plane to what
you expect to be the normal operating weight. Pump up the tire untill
you get full tread and no sidewall contact. Take the tire pressure and
use that from then on.

How do you know when you've got full tread contact? Pour some water
just in front of the tire and pull the plane through it, letting the
wheel turn completely over a couple of times. It'll leave an 'imprint'
on the second time around that will be a mirror image of the tread
pattern. If you can read sidewall numbers, you need more air. If it is
just a thin strip, you need to remove some.

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,

Excellent!!
Been doing it for years. Dont even need the water now.

Warren
Old November 9th 03, 10:00 AM
Whunicut

n o t n e c e s s a r i l y

Trivial in this case, as the tires were not alleged to have gone flat.
However, it is a frequently employed method to protect the wheels, and
sometimes the tires, while the parts (tubes in this case) are obtained.

IIRC, no assertion was made that this was an adiquate temporary service
for flight, or even ground operation.

Peter

It doesn`t matter. There seems to always be some "know it all" prick waiting to
one-up everybody to show how smart he is.
The news groups seem to attract them for some reason. Nothing better to do I
suppose. Poor *******s.

Warren,
Too soon, old.
Too late, smart.
Old November 9th 03, 01:23 PM
Bushy

While it won't answer for your model aircraft,
http://www.desser.com/tech/tirecare.html gives a good range of articles
about aircraft tyres. They may have further info if you email them.

There is a table of suggested pressures for different size tyres and give
several different pressures depending on the ply rating for similar sized
tyres.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Old November 9th 03, 08:03 PM
Jerry Wass

!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
html
After readin' all this sage advice, tell ya whut I'm a gonna do--I'm a
gonna git me some 6X6 tubes from the nearby farm store  & fill
em up with freon 22 ( that's a mighty big mollycule ) an see how they stand
up.Course it's just a fuselage on gear
brrite now, so I'm not risking my glutes, but should make for an interesting
experiment on the diffusion of large molecules thru not so porus membranes..
check back in a year or so & I'll let you know.
pBushy wrote:
blockquote TYPE=CITEWhile it won't answer for your model aircraft,
bra href="http://www.desser.com/tech/tirecare.html"http://www.desser.com/tech/tirecare.html/a
gives a good range of articles
brabout aircraft tyres. They may have further info if you email them.
pThere is a table of suggested pressures for different size tyres and
give
brseveral different pressures depending on the ply rating for similar
sized
brtyres.
pHope this helps,
brPeter/blockquote
/html

Old November 9th 03, 11:12 PM
anon

Peter Dohm wrote:

I really was not trying to be that much of a prick.

You weren't a prick at all. Pricks are people like Barnyard BOb and
Warran Whunicut who launch into vindictive personal attacks. It's one
thing to call someone's statement or idea "idiotic", as I did, but
it's another thing entirely to viciously and vindictively attack a
person himself as both Barnyard BOb and Warran Whunicut did.
Absolutely no class. This is borne out even more by both of their
demonstrates his lack of class on a daily basis here. No surprise
there. Like most people, I couldn't care less what Barnyard BOb
thinks. Now I have an equally low opinion of Warran Whunicut.

- anon

Old November 9th 03, 11:50 PM
*Barnyard BOb*

Like most people, I couldn't care less what Barnyard BOb
thinks. Now I have an equally low opinion of Warran Whunicut.

- anon

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When it comes to low opinions...
who cares what a weasel like you thinks?
You obviously don't know **** from Shinola.

If you truly didn't care...
you would shut the **** up about me, as proof.
Ain't gonna' happen is it........?
Mealy mouth cowardly creep.

If you really understood "most people",
you would not be cringing in fear and
hiding behind an anonymous label...
or catching a **** load of flack now.

Barnyard BOb --
The more people I meet,
the more I love my dog
and George Carlin humor.
Old November 9th 03, 11:59 PM
*Barnyard BOb*

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 20:04:44 -0600, "JH" u wrote:

Paul, I went to the address and looked at the chart. Unlike most in the
newsgroup, I am not an expert on anything. Anyway, the chart mentions
pressures "Unloaded". Is the same pressure used if re-inflating the tire
while on the plane?

I have an RV-4. The gross would be about 2000 max. There are two tires plush
tailwheel. The tires are 5.00x5 4 ply. Does that mean I should carry about
31 to 35lbs?

Thanks,
Joe

I fly with 25 lbs as suggested by the airframe authority
for my RV-3. Check with Vans, the Matronics RV list
or owners of RV-4's. You will get a lot of confusing and
misleading info that is not specific to your aircraft here.

Barnyard BOb -- RV-3 owner/driver

Manifold pressure gauge problem Dave Russell Aerobatics 3 January 29th 04 03:46 AM
Nosewheel Shimmy and Scalloped Tire Redux, Plus Larry Smith Home Built 2 September 15th 03 04:03 PM
Scalloped Nosewheel Tire Larry Smith Home Built 7 September 12th 03 09:16 PM
Fuel pressure Problems smf Home Built 3 September 7th 03 08:25 PM
Pressure Differential in heat Exchangers Bruce A. Frank Home Built 4 July 3rd 03 05:18 AM