PowerFLARM USB 3 cables and ConnectMe to PowerFLARM through V7

Old June 5th 13, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default PowerFLARM USB 3 cables and ConnectMe to PowerFLARM through V7

Two comments/questions:

1. I had purchased a panel mount extension USB cable to allow me to plug the USB drive into the panel for upgrades and flight downloads. I didn't think anything about the cable type but after doing the install I can not download flights. I started looking at the cable and realized it is USB 3 (labeled SSUSB with Blue tabs). I realized PowerFLARM did not work with USB 3 drive but never thought about checking the extension cable type as well.

2. Will ConnectMe on an Oudie work with a PowerFLARM through a V7? I can see the serial number but it will not access the flights. Would be nice if we could use that in the future to download flights.

Old June 5th 13, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Tim,

The Oudie and V7 would work with the PowerFLARM for flight log downloads,
except the PowerFLARM doesn't support that feature yet.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old June 6th 13, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Morteza,

The problem isn't with the Oudie. As stated below, it is that the
PowerFLARM doesn't yet support fight log downloads through the serial port.
They must be done using a USB Flash Drive (PowerFLARM Core) or microSD
memory card (PowerFLARM Portable). Once FLARM updates the software to allow
flight log downloads through the serial port, then the Oudie will probably
be able to download flight logs from it - assuming they use the same flight
log transfer protocol used by previous FLARM units

But why would you want to wait for several minutes for a flight log download
through the serial port when using a memory device will get the job done in
5 seconds? I recommend that you try using a memory card.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
____________________________

Old June 6th 13, 11:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morteza Ansari

Thanks Paul for the additional information. To be honest the whole model of how PowerFlarm handles logfile copying seems at best to be a hack! As such the next best alternate solution would be to let Oudie handle it. As of right now I don't have the USB port brought to the front of my panel and given how the USB stick copying of log files work, I really would prefer not to do that. I want to have some level of control (like every other device!) on what files get copied and when they get copied rather than plug the USB stick, power cycle and get ALL the logs...

Given that, I would really want to get either FlarmView or the Oudie to handle this with the right interface. And yes, that would mean using the serial port to transfer a file, but at the high baud rates on the line and given you typically transfer a single file, it shouldn't be too bad. Certainly much better than the alternate (IMO)!

I hope the PowerFlarm folks are listening and add the missing feature soon. It has been frustrating at times to be on the bleeding edge and waiting for things to get to working state...

Old June 6th 13, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Morteza,

I hear what you are saying, but it sounds like you haven't even tried using
a USB Flash Drive to transfer files from the PowerFLARM. If you try it, you
may find that it is so extremely easy and fast that you'll be very happy
with it. Even if you have dozens and dozens of flight logs in the
PowerFLARM memory, the data transfer only takes 5 seconds. USB Flash Drives
can easily store the small amount of data hundreds of flight logs. I don't
think the PowerFLARM re-copies files that are already on the USB Flash
Drive.

The first time I transferred flight logs from a ClearNav or LX9000 using a
USB Flash Drive or SD memory card I was blown away by how fast and easy it
was. I was very happy not to need to wait 5 minutes for the data transfer
over the serial port. I have recently transferred many flight logs off
PowerFLARM units and find it very fast and easy.

I also hope that FLARM will add the ability to download flight logs over the
serial port in the near future.

Old June 6th 13, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message

[...]

Also, to amplify a bit, with the latest display update you don't have to
recycle the power to copy the files. There's an item on the menu to
copy the IGC files. After you land, just plug in your flash drive and
twiddle the knob to get your flight!

Matt
Old June 6th 13, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Morteza,

thanks for your feedback. Can you elaborate on the 'hack'?

PowerFLARM doesn't copy all logs, only the ones that are not
yet on the stick.

Firmware, obstacle DB and licence updates are via USB as well, so you may want to
have a cable anyway (cost: $10). In the past, it has turned out to be less than trivial
to teach a large number of third party developers how to correctly implement
the FLARM RS232 protocols. This is another reason why we are a bit reluctant in that area.

Best
--Gerhard (FLARM dev mgr)

Old June 7th 13, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:50:10 PM UTC-6, Tim Taylor wrote:
Two comments/questions:

TT,
I installed the USB cable that was included with my PF Core and I have had no problems downloading flights on to a thumb drive in a matter of seconds. Am I missing something?
Old June 10th 13, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morteza Ansari

By hack I mean the fact that a power cycle is needed, there is no control over which files get copied (my understanding is that all files in powerflarm will get copied if they don't exist). On Sat. I had to get some files off and used a new USB stick and had to wait for it to copy all files. Also, other than the little LED on the brick itself I have no indication of whether the copy operation is done or not. The overall experience seems very poor with very little feedback to the user.

Making other non-frequent operations (FW, DB, license updates) more challenging might be acceptable, but even those I would love to use Oudie or the display device (in my case FlarmView).

Overall given the brick doesn't have a native user interface other than a single LED, all of these operations should be done via API/protocol where the front end devices like the Oudie or other displays can handle all these operations with proper user interface and feedback mechanism.

I hope this helps explain why I look at this as a "hack".

Cheers,
Morteza