Garmin 396 weather problems

Old June 27th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
dlevy

Default Garmin 396 weather problems

On a recent flight I could not get my 396 to download weather. I've called
Garmin, given them my antenna number, and was assured I don't have a bad
one. I took the magnets out so no warrenty possibilities.

I thought I read a while back that there is an aftermarket antenna. If not,
how much is a new Garmin antenna? Best place to buy?

Old June 27th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Marco Leon

Are you sure it's the antenna? I'd try and get a hold of a friend's antenna
with an active subscription and plug it into your 396 to make sure your GPS
unit is OK. Also make sure your XM account is working as well. The suggested
retail price of a new one is $495.

Marco

Old June 27th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Paul kgyy

What direction were you flying? If north, sometimes the signal can be
blanketed by the airframe, since the satellites are in the southern
part of the sky.

Old June 28th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
akiley

On Jun 27, 9:56 am, "dlevy" wrote:
On a recent flight I could not get my 396 to download weather. I've called
Garmin, given them my antenna number, and was assured I don't have a bad
one. I took the magnets out so no warrenty possibilities.

I thought I read a while back that there is an aftermarket antenna. If not,
how much is a new Garmin antenna? Best place to buy?

I've had this happen a few times, but when I turn the unit off, then
back on, it worked again. ... akiley

Old June 28th 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
karl gruber[_1_]

I have one for $250. It's new, but the old type with magnets.

Karl

Go ahead and flame me for this unabashed offer. I hope you have a 300 speed
modem and it took you 3 minutes to download the drivel.

Old June 29th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
dlevy

Uhhh.... north.
Thanks.

ups.com...