Stupid procedures & politics

Old August 26th 03, 07:34 AM
Kiwi Jet Jock

Default Stupid procedures & politics

I don't know the approach - but was wondering if it would be due more to
compromised safety in the event of going asymetric in IMC on a SID there?

Old August 26th 03, 11:27 AM
Manuel W.

"Kiwi Jet Jock" ha scritto nel messaggio
I don't know the approach - but was wondering if it would be due more to
compromised safety in the event of going asymetric in IMC on a SID there?

Could be, but the official explanation given by the FOCA is that the
glideslope angle is too steep, so the airplane has to be "steep approach
certified". But yes, going asymmetric in IMC on a SID in LSZA is also a
situation I wouldn't want to find myself in...

-Manuel

Old August 27th 03, 02:00 AM
Dave S

WOW.. I thought the FAA had a monopoly on stuff like this..

Dave

Manuel W. wrote:

Hi everyone,
I have to let you know why I'm so p*ssed today :-). In the last few days,
the Swiss Office for Civil Aviation (the Swiss FAA) "discovered" that the
instrument approach procedure to my home airport (Lugano, LSZA) is a
so-called "steep approach" according to the new JAR rules. For this reason,
in order to carry out an IGS approach on LSZA's rwy 01, the airplane needs
to be "steep approach certified".

Funny is: Swiss International Airlines Ltd has been flying to and from this
airport daily, using Saab 2000 twin turboprop airplanes. As of next October,
Swiss will sell its Saab 2000s and fly to LSZA using Avro RJs. And you know
what? The authorities declared that it's actually illegal for the Saab 2000
to fly to LSZA because it's not a steep approach certified airplane.
Obviously the Avro RJ has no problem whatsoever.

As of next October, when Swiss will stop using the Saab 2000s to fly to
LSZA, 3 other companies would like to start their service from there - using
Saab 2000s! What our guvm't actually just did is stop other airlines
(besides Swiss) from flying to LSZA. Sure, the other companies could buy
other planes, but that's not exactly a cheap matter (we're talking about
regional airlines in a small country).

And, last but not least, this screws my instrumental training. I wanted to
go for my IFR ticket in the next few months, but this becomes quite useless:
the only airport having an IFR approach in the region where I live is now
"off limits" for small GA singles and twins (because the Arrow and the
Seneca are not steep approach certified!). I could fly out of LSZA in actual
IMC, but never fly back into LSZA in actual IMC. It's sort of a one-way IFR
ticket then... oh, sure, I could purchase a Falcon 50. Because it's a steep
approach certified plane!

Thank you to everyone who makes up new rules and regulations for fun. I'm
sure you've never actually flown an airplane.

-Manuel
PPL(A) SEP