Hanger queens - The Glamour of Flight, Part 1 &2

Old March 13th 07, 09:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
David Hartung

Default Hanger queens - The Glamour of Flight, Part 1 &2

Wayne Paul wrote:
"Bruce R" wrote in message
"CWO4 Dave Mann" wrote in message
. ..

Oh yes, isn't that the truth. My first flight was in the cockpit
jumpseat of a PBY that my dad was flying on "Dependent's Day" at North
Island. I must have been around 7 at that time. They don't do that
anymore either -- lawsuits, of course.

Cheers,

Dave

What sort of weapon pod is that under the nose of the F-86

Bruce R

Un-guided rockets.

2.75" FFARs
Old March 13th 07, 09:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Wayne Paul

"David Hartung" wrote in message
. ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fin-Folding_Aerial_Rocket

Old March 14th 07, 12:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bruce R

"Alfie" alfblume(a)hotmail.com wrote in message
k...
Hello, Bruce!
You wrote on Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:38:10 -0400:

BR What sort of weapon pod is that under the nose of the F-86

Its only armament - 28 FFAR in retractable tray - later the Danish F-86D
were modified to carry two Sidewinders on pylons in front of the main
wheels.

With best regards, Alfie. E-mail: alfblume(a)hotmail.com

Was that any use against Russian bombers? I thought they were used mainly
against thin skinned ground vehicles or troops. However the Sabre Dog was
an all weather interceptor right? Sort of the "sneak up and hit them
between the eyes with a ball-peen hammer" then wouldn't you say?

Bruce R

Old March 14th 07, 01:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

Bruce R wrote:

Was that any use against Russian bombers? I thought they were used
mainly against thin skinned ground vehicles or troops. However the
Sabre Dog was an all weather interceptor right? Sort of the "sneak
up and hit them between the eyes with a ball-peen hammer" then
wouldn't you say?
Bruce R

This model Sabre was one of the first Western aircraft with a primitive fire
control computer to fire the rockets on a collision course with the incoming
bomber.

There's an overlap between really intelligent gunsights and the early fire
control computers that not only told the pilot where to aim, but when to
fire the brace of unguided rockets.

The principle works well with ducks on weekends and slow moving bombers that
fly in straight lines.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old March 15th 07, 11:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Doug Maclean

Vintage Commercial Aviation Promotions: Flight Attendants

http://thrillingwonder.blogspot.com/...of-flight.html

http://thrillingwonder.blogspot.com/...es-part-2.html

Southwest and the Hot Pants girls, with the "Fly me"
campaign that women hated so. Those were the days.....

I can't remember the airline but the uniform sticks in my memory

Doug

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hostess.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	8148

Old March 18th 07, 07:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob Harrington

Wilman wrote in
:

that could take my mind off the cattle car conditions encountered in
flying today

Moo?

Hanger queens Gari Aviation Photos 6 January 22nd 07 03:33 AM
Hanger Queens - 3 - Lunacy - Aviation Photos 1 December 1st 06 09:46 PM
Hanger Queens - Number 2 - Lunacy - Aviation Photos 5 December 1st 06 07:05 PM
Flight across the continent! - part 2 Wings Owning 4 June 19th 06 05:46 AM
Angel Flight and Part 91 Dave Butler Piloting 8 July 8th 05 03:43 AM