hH1HNvRJX8RtCaDMgkpIby4ke1v5BpDZv8MjNSEewAvDzxGy3M lZ5FwPNZjjoHhh9nNnyu8Xl569CF52QEGYwkmGxH8tfoaKiJrQ Ag8Ibeg

Old August 14th 07, 03:51 AM posted to sci.crypt,rec.aviation.piloting
Francoise Haggermaker

Default hH1HNvRJX8RtCaDMgkpIby4ke1v5BpDZv8MjNSEewAvDzxGy3M lZ5FwPNZjjoHhh9nNnyu8Xl569CF52QEGYwkmGxH8tfoaKiJrQ Ag8Ibeg

Therefore it is also a large security problem, which must be managed.

[snip]

The terminology "email monitoring" has a Big-Brother ring to it.

But monitor it we must - there is no choice.

It connects all of our inside systems to all of outside.

And it is the Internet ("public wire") traffic going in/out of Salomon
we are checking - not internal email.

The security rule for Internet traffic is "don't send anything you
wouldn't want to read about in tomorrow's newspaper".

I think it's pretty obvious why company traffic involving company systems
is monitored. After all, companies aren't democracies.

Finally, I should point out that all the people at both sites were told
repeatedly that Internet email was being monitored; this includes all
traffic picked up by my JobTalk analytic:

Salomon site.

All sites start out with the employment contract stating unequivocally
that the systems are the company's and are to be used only for work
purposes. And that they are subject to inspection. You signed it.

Salomon's goes further by stating the firm's computer systems may be
audited and that they have the right to do so even if you have put
personal information on the system.

After the first couple of months of security incidents at Salomon,
they began issuing global email broadcasts saying that a new security
package "Internet Risk Management: email facili